Can't help myself

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.

Can't help myself

Unread postby Pes78 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:26 am

So I ordered another blank today, going with 5'10 RP Blue density stringerless poly blank. It will be a hybrid of a kneeboard and paipo, planning on splitting the difference from what all my other boards have been. Dims will be 5' 22" 2.75" out at the rails and 2.25-2" in the center of the concave deck. Bottom will be a bit different with two channels down each side of the center getting deeper as you get closer to the tail. Will run it as a twin and glassing with be epoxy. S cloth top and bottom with a vector net patch were the deck pad will be. Will post some pics when I start the board in a couple weeks, I'm shaping it up at Basham's and can only get up there on the weekends.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Re: Can't help myself

Unread postby jbw4600 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi Paul, I also want build a 5 footer, after my next board. I saw this at a used rack local at a local shop. It is a Haut Batman. I was and still am tempted to buy it. It is 5' x 21 1/2 x 2 1/2 with thin rails. It is 18 /12 at 1 foot from the nose and tail. But it is a little thin in the tail and nose. And the thick point is a little far back for me, as I like ride very far forward on my board. Anyway it has a pretty nice shape. The nose rocker is about 4" the tail is about 1".
Attachments
IMG_20170326_142938998.jpg
IMG_20170326_142914625.jpg
IMG_20170326_142833137.jpg
IMG_20170326_142808395.jpg
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread postby Pes78 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:53 pm

That looks like a good shape. My rockers will be 3" N and 1.25" T, not sure about 12" measurements just yet. May put the wide point back from center 2" or so for better support when I knee ride it.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread postby Papa Paepo o » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:11 am

Looks good, clean rockers. My boards are 1/2" thick but there's some rider's rides 3/8" thick. Thin boards are easier for control and maneuvers than thicker boards.
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger

City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.

Unread postby jbw4600 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:42 pm

Good luck Paul. Looking forward to seeing your latest incarnation.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread postby belly rider » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:00 am

hi JBW if you don't buy that Haut do you mind letting me know where that board is located at
I would be interested to know more about it as well
thks
its all about the ride
belly rider
Big Wave Charger

City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany

Unread postby jbw4600 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi, Sorry i didn't respond sooner. I saw it at Mollusk surf shop in San Francisco. It was $440.00. Haut sells them new for $750.00 .
http://hautsurfboards.com/
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread postby belly rider » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:12 pm

Thanks JBW
called up the store but unfortunately they do not ship and pack boards
I am an expatriate coming back to the US on a business trip to Houston and I thought I could arrange for the board to be
at my brothers home for when I got there but it looks like it won't be happening
:( :( :| :|
its all about the ride
belly rider
Big Wave Charger

City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany

Unread postby Pes78 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Well shaped the board yesterday and didn't come out the way I was planning so had to rethink a couple things. I was trying to get that rounded bottom you see in the greenough flex spoons so I shaped the bottom rail bands first turning them up to 70%. Then doing the top rails at 30% but it didn't work as planned. It's tough doing things without having enough knowledge of what I'm doing. This may be the last one I shape. Ended up with a 4'6 22" thickness unknown. Good amount of roll going into vee, will be running it as a single fin and it has a concave deck. No pics of the deck, I was a bit frusterated with it.
hull1.jpg
hull2.jpg
hull3.jpg
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread postby nomastomas » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:27 pm

I applaud your ambition! And, it looks like you pretty much nailed the bottom. The more the shape differs from the the blank used, the more difficult the shaping. Most blanks are flat on the bottom, some even have slight concave. Going to a deep convex/belly bottom is a difficult task. I was taught to always start with the bottom, since that's the "functional" side, while the deck is more aesthetics. You don't want to run out of foam before all the bottom contours are in place. I still use guide marks when doing rail bands. It forces me to think through rail foil and helps me to identify the rail apex (that 1/2" flat band created by the outline). That flat outline band is the last to go, and marks the transition between the bottom bands and the deck bands. It also represent the outline, so you want to avoid touching it until the very last so as not to lose the outline shape.

Don't get discouraged. Learn from your mistakes and move on. If shaping were easy, everyone would be doing it. When you get stuck, ask someone for help. I've found that most shapers, professional and amateur alike, are eager to pass on their knowledge. They may not share their "secret sauce", but they'll help you with the basics.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger

City: Ojai

Next

Return to Paipo Board Design & Building