TBG5

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.

Re: TBG5

Unread postby rodndtube » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:18 pm

I'm a big believe in weight--just my experience in the water--and body weight does not appear to be as big a player. I also see this in catching waves (or not) along the Florida Space Coast where I need a fatter, more floaty board to catch a wave regardless of whether I am weighing 185 or 225; my skinny board just doesn't cut it (until the surf becomes bigger and punchier).

My heavy boards run 8 to 10 lbs, my medium boards in the 5-8 lb range. I've been on an ultralight 3-4 lb'er and those things just ain't right! On the other hand, a 20 lb solid wood paipo just plowed through the chop (granted, it was in smaller surf but the effect was noticeable). Just my own empirical experiences (and not all tested under controlled scientific methods!).
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland

Unread postby nomastomas » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:57 pm

Here's the G5 in action in Indo recently with Aussie surfer Grant at the helm. Grant said he spent several hours a day, on a ten-day trip riding the G5 and comparing it to his foam body board. He took a fin key and a few different fin pairs into the water and made changes in between sets. Preliminary discussions have led to some design changes.
031A3908.jpeg
031A3908.jpeg (76.54 KiB) Viewed 759 times

031A3912.jpeg
031A3912.jpeg (70.67 KiB) Viewed 759 times
Attachments
031A5206.jpeg
031A5206.jpeg (72.27 KiB) Viewed 759 times
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger

City: Ojai
State or Province: CA

Unread postby bgreen » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:27 am

What sort of design changes did you have in mind? Is this the same guy that has been riding your boards for a few years.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread postby nomastomas » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:46 am

Actually, I introduced Grant to Dave, my customer from a couple years back, over a year ago. Grant wanted some feedback on my then current model, the G3. He ended up buying the board from Dave and liked it so much that he wanted a G4. But, sometimes life gets in the way, and I didn't hear from him again until last Fall. He was planning this trip to Indo and was ready to order a G5.
Grants48.JPG
Grant's 48" TBG5 just prior to shipping.

Our discussion was brief, just couple of emails, but my immediate takeaway was to increase the tail rocker, both centerline and out at the rail. There will be more to come...
www.tp4surf.com
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger

Unread postby bgreen » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:55 pm

I think you once said that these guys were north of Sydney. I couldn't miss the board if I saw it.

Was the increased rocker to ride hollower waves?
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread postby nomastomas » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:19 pm

Tighter turns...(unfortunately, at the cost of less top end speed). W're talking subtle changes in performance. He did add that at one break he visited, he was able to make a very speedy section that he has failed to make in the past. I'm finding the design issues to be very similar to those encountered when trying to adapt a weak wave, grovel board, to work in more powerful waves. With weak waves, speed, both paddling and surfing, trumps responsiveness, e.g. traditional fish, mini-Sims, etc. Trying to strike a compromise between design features that can cancel each other out is a painstaking task of trial-and-error.
www.tp4surf.com
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger

Unread postby bgreen » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:06 am

I may be wrong, but my guess is that most people surf ordinary to ok waves most of the time.

My trip to Indonesia a couple of years ago, highlighted the need for a board that would handle larger & long-lined hollow groundswell waves.

It's hard to get a board that rides well in all conditions.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread postby nomastomas » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:01 am

Yep...
www.tp4surf.com
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger

Unread postby Nels » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:59 pm

It's hard to get a board that rides well in all conditions.

Maybe sometimes you...Boogie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssf5y28RwK0

Nels
Providing an occasional voice for anarchy in surfing
Nels
Big Wave Charger

City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread postby rodndtube » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:21 pm

nomastomas wrote:Tighter turns...(unfortunately, at the cost of less top end speed). W're talking subtle changes in performance. He did add that at one break he visited, he was able to make a very speedy section that he has failed to make in the past. I'm finding the design issues to be very similar to those encountered when trying to adapt a weak wave, grovel board, to work in more powerful waves. With weak waves, speed, both paddling and surfing, trumps responsiveness, e.g. traditional fish, mini-Sims, etc. Trying to strike a compromise between design features that can cancel each other out is a painstaking task of trial-and-error.

Spot on, Tomás. My sort-of Bonzer paipo, because of some "mistakes" made in the shaping job does better at some of my surf spots in Puerto Rico in turning a tighter radius due to the increased rocker curvature and kick in the tail rails ; by the same token it does not take off like a jet as my proper Bonzer paipo does (but this board I don't really favor for most of the PR spots that I like ride). I won't take the sort-of Bonzer to Costa Rica but that proper Bonzer is dialed-in for that spot :)
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland

PreviousNext

Return to Paipo Board Design & Building