TBG5

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: TBG5

Unread post by bgreen »

Nels,

What can I say? Krusher is probably better qualified to comment on the respective merits of these craft in Indonesian waters.
In tubing waves, boogie boards are established performers. The waves I had in mind were hollow, but long walled. Boogie boards in average waves are also a different matter.

Rod,

Are you exclusively riding bonzers these days? Do they have bonzer fins or your own preferences?
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

What can I say?
Messing around a bit there, but...I know Indo is the Hawaii cakewalk for you guys down under, but it's so far away from the rest of us...if I were so lucky as to make that trip I'd take a boogie just to be sure of having something that is maybe a 75% "sure thing" performer...to go with whatever other craft I was most focused on. I haven't met the bodyboard that I thought would do long, lined up hollow waves as well as other craft. It isn't the materials, just the design. I'm still rather stunned that the bodyboard manufacturers haven't branched out into more bellyboard type craft, at least for the "elite" market of people like us.

Nels
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

bgreen wrote: Rod,

Are you exclusively riding bonzers these days? Do they have bonzer fins or your own preferences?
No, I wouldn't say so at all. Up above the thread I think we were talking about limits of specific design choices for a wide variety of wave types and riding styles. Everything is a compromise unless it is specialized. It is about maximizing vs. optimizing. So my bonzer is maximized for the Costa Rica point/lava reef wave that I ride. My Checkered RPM is maximized for many of the Puerto Rico wave breaks that I tend to ride. And my baseline Austin design is for my under 6 ft East Coast surf (bigger or punchier I would use the Checkered RPM). My Bonzer design isn't very suitable for the typical East Coast type wave but that is also a function of non-Bonzer characteristics we talked about here and in a related thread and pivot and tight turning looseness. On the CR waves I do not feel a turning radius issue on my paipo Bonzer design.

Having said that the baseline Austin paipo design it optimal for all wave types -- I can ride it and have a great time but the design prevents me from maximizing total joy and performance in all wave types relative to the other two boards I ride.

Now back to "exclusive." I am just not riding that much East Coast surf lately!!!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Come on Rod! Get out your 5/4 wet suit and go for it.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

jbw4600 wrote:Come on Rod! Get out your 5/4 wet suit and go for it.
It is hard, so hard! That is, when the bones begin to freeze, yikes. And make that the 6/4 with integrated hoodie, the 5mm gloves and layers of 5mm, 2mm, 1mm fin socks. It has been a cold transition from winter to spring and the creaping arthritis in my hands/fingers this past couple of months are playing nice for cold water surfing. Cape Hatteras waters are in the low-50s right now but these continuing run of Nor'Easters keep chilling things up. Closer to home the water is 41F. Brrr... back to CR next year!

A couple of buddies and I had been planning to visit N. Oregon, but after thinking about it some more the one guy said flat out , "NO!" because his body just can't handle it anymore.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Nels wrote:
What can I say?
It isn't the materials, just the design. I'm still rather stunned that the bodyboard manufacturers haven't branched out into more bellyboard type craft, at least for the "elite" market of people like us.

Nels
The interesting/frustrating thing about BBs is that they aren't mainstream. Boogieboards don't seem to stray too far from established parameters, with lots of test pilots in good waves. BBS and paipos on the other hand go in all sorts of directions. With all things BB, it is a very small market. Elite?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Coming from riding bodyboards, when designing the outlines of my paipos I have used tried and tested fave boards as templates and found that a paipo with the same template as a bodyboard performs the same as far as turning, Where is looses is on speed.

Bodyboards have had a long time on the world stage and many pro have their own model. The have tuned the lengths , materials and templates over years of competition , the one place that has been somewhat stagnant is hull design, and a lot of that is due to the way bodyguards are made stopping hull design being easy to make with compound curves.
There is not a changeable stringer system for different temp waters. http://www.rideiss.com/

Especially in warm waters a bodyboard will have more flex and this flex in turn slows it up. my same template paipo is considerable faster.

I do also consider that standard bodyboard length 41/42" is the equivalent of a stand up shortboard 5.10/6.0 and when your riding a paipo in the 45/60" range your in the minimal zone. I have never found other than straight line speed due to more planing surface the extra length to be anything other than a hindrance to turning.

I've been trying for a few years to get a bodyboard copy of my paipo made to see how it's design works in that medium. Should finally be getting one this winter, This ex toobs shaper is capable of bodyboard innovation.
https://www.instagram.com/roninbodyboards/

https://www.facebook.com/roninbodyboard ... 46/?type=3
Last edited by krusher74 on Wed May 30, 2018 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nels
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Nels »

The interesting/frustrating thing about BBs is that they aren't mainstream. Boogieboards don't seem to stray too far from established parameters, with lots of test pilots in good waves. BBS and paipos on the other hand go in all sorts of directions. With all things BB, it is a very small market. Elite?
Worthy of it's own thread and maybe I will when I get a chance, but for now...the whole surfing culture is undergoing something akin to a slow-motion "polar shift" right now. Bodyboarding has been effectively "orphaned" from the surf industry economics and perhaps more practically "castaway" culturally. As one who has been involved since the 70's it has been no end of frustration that the designs have stayed so near to the original. Lately I am thinking that maybe the first Boogie came off maybe 75% "perfect" or "maximized". Any deviation of design seems to push the concept into bellyboard or paipo environs. Kneeboards are just more akin to standup boards but the creativity from that genre can apply to all forms of waveriding (and I'd love to hear more from the people involved over the kneeboarding span).

Bodyboarding is now fighting the massive influx of new surfers going straight to crap soft standup boards and then "surfing" pedestrian style. It's literally much easier for a newcomer to go that way than to get into bellyboards and fairly easier than for them to go bodyboarding and stay in the activity for a while, much less turn it into a lifestyle. That really hurts paipo/bellyboarding. Without the ability to really pump out boards in serious volume it is going to be hard for anybody to seriously move paipo design. Simple economics. Even if someone had capital to order up a container of bellyboards from Asia...there's going to be economic limitations on how many different designs could be done in a run, and that would put design changes down to once or twice a year at best.

So it's up to the individuals who ride, order, and make what I suspect are the handful of new paipo/bellyboards to move things forward...because they want to. The rest of the world doesn't know and doesn't care and thus really can't comprehend. Which makes it kind of an "elite" activity in my book...not a bad thing, really.

Edit: After reading this upon posting just now...I should add this qualifier. My observations are based on what I see in the U.S. From what I see online these days the rest of the world seems much more open to bodyboarding, although I have no idea how that translates to the local surfing culture. That said, the basic bodyboard design malaise remains; perhaps as Krusher just said inherent to materials or basic "standard" design constraints.

Nels
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

The US is very low on the bodyboarding spectrum--it has substantially diminished over the past decade or two. I would also say the mainland USA surfing community is very segregated and antagonistic towards each other. I notice this especially with USA foot surfers bringing their attitudes to overseas countries.

A lot of the bodyboarders in PR have stringers. My son couldn't really ride his US boogie board down there because it would turn into mush.

P.S. There are not that many paipos/bellyboarders (or kneeboarders) for that matter, but they tend to become lumped in with bodyboarders (proneriders). Okay, we should include surf mats and maybe handboards, too. All of these folks are established minorities... and in some places are treated as such. Quite frankly, I don't encounter this "discrimination" in PR, CR and Hawaii. Not much in Northern Oregon nor in Central California. Along the Space Coast there just isn't much outside of SUPs, longboards and shortboards, but I have bumped into some paipo riders, including a hydrofoil paipo guy, over the years. I bumped into a paipo guy when I surfed one day in N. Oregon. So... what is all this rambling about here and this part of the thread? A shared experience riding prone and varying materials and design characteristics. I certainly welcome Nomas's design/shaping expertise--he is a student of the "conflict of design" and can speak intelligently about it as a shaper. But we are all learning all of the time and bring to our learning experience a set of our own biases and preferences based upon our own personal experiences and how we like to ride.

And, Nels, you better start a new thread on bodyboarding (boogie!) before I get into trouble!!! :lol:
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Nels wrote:
Worthy of it's own thread and maybe I will when I get a chance, but for now...the whole surfing culture is undergoing something akin to a slow-motion "polar shift" right now. Bodyboarding has been effectively "orphaned" from the surf industry economics and perhaps more practically "castaway" culturally. As one who has been involved since the 70's it has been no end of frustration that the designs have stayed so near to the original. Lately I am thinking that maybe the first Boogie came off maybe 75% "perfect" or "maximized". Any deviation of design seems to push the concept into bellyboard or paipo environs. Kneeboards are just more akin to standup boards but the creativity from that genre can apply to all forms of waveriding (and I'd love to hear more from the people involved over the kneeboarding span).

Bodyboarding is now fighting the massive influx of new surfers going straight to crap soft standup boards and then "surfing" pedestrian style. It's literally much easier for a newcomer to go that way than to get into bellyboards and fairly easier than for them to go bodyboarding and stay in the activity for a while, much less turn it into a lifestyle. That really hurts paipo/bellyboarding. Without the ability to really pump out boards in serious volume it is going to be hard for anybody to seriously move paipo design. Simple economics. Even if someone had capital to order up a container of bellyboards from Asia...there's going to be economic limitations on how many different designs could be done in a run, and that would put design changes down to once or twice a year at best.

So it's up to the individuals who ride, order, and make what I suspect are the handful of new paipo/bellyboards to move things forward...because they want to. The rest of the world doesn't know and doesn't care and thus really can't comprehend. Which makes it kind of an "elite" activity in my book...not a bad thing, really.

Edit: After reading this upon posting just now...I should add this qualifier. My observations are based on what I see in the U.S. From what I see online these days the rest of the world seems much more open to bodyboarding, although I have no idea how that translates to the local surfing culture. That said, the basic bodyboard design malaise remains; perhaps as Krusher just said inherent to materials or basic "standard" design constraints.

Nels
Yes i think it would be an interesting topic on its own,

"As one who has been involved since the 70's it has been no end of frustration that the designs have stayed so near to the original"

this would be interesting to discuss, because a lot of the time I think our great design ideas in our heads dont actually work.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

rodndtube wrote: The US is very low on the bodyboarding spectrum--it has substantially diminished over the past decade or two. I would also say the mainland USA surfing community is very segregated and antagonistic towards each other. I notice this especially with USA foot surfers bringing their attitudes to overseas countries.

A lot of the bodyboarders in PR have stringers. My son couldn't really ride his US boogie board down there because it would turn into mush.
There are not that many paipos/bellyboarders (or kneeboarders) for that matter, but they tend to become lumped in with bodyboarders (proneriders). Okay, we should include surf mats and maybe handboards, too. All of these folks are established minorities... and in some places are treated as such. Quite frankly, I don't encounter this "discrimination" in PR, CR and Hawaii. Not much in Northern Oregon nor in Central California. Along the Space Coast there just isn't much outside of SUPs, longboards and shortboards, but I have bumped into some paipo riders, including a hydrofoil paipo guy, over the years. I bumped into a paipo guy when I surfed one day in N. Oregon. So... what is all this rambling about here and this part of the thread? A shared experience riding prone and varying materials and design characteristics. I certainly welcome Nomas's design/shaping expertise--he is a student of the "conflict of design" and can speak intelligently about it as a shaper. But we are all learning all of the time and bring to our learning experience a set of our own biases and preferences based upon our own personal experiences and how we like to ride.

P.S. And, Nels, you better start a new thread on bodyboarding (boogie!) before I get into trouble!!! :lol:
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
Nels
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Nels »

Heh heh...sorry about the semi-hijack there, back to nomastomas and his TGB5 and onward...
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Gee I fell so isolated, I did not realize I was such a minority??
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

rodendtube comment I certainly welcome Nomas's design/shaping expertise--he is a student of the "conflict of design" and can speak intelligently about it as a shaper. But we are all learning all of the time and bring to our learning experience a set of our own biases and preferences based upon our own personal experiences and how we like to ride.

Hear Hear totally agree 150% well worded good statement
its all about the ride
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Yeah, if you're not learning your not growing. Case in point: My Aussie customer raved about the improved performance of his new quad G5 when using only the rear fins. Now, this guy is an experienced body boarder who prone-rides in waves of consequence. I have to pay attention to his feedback. Prone boards are pretty much surfed and turned off the wave-side, rear corner. Makes sense that that is where the pivot point for turns should be. AND, why not enhance that twinnie set-up with a canard fin placed forward of the main fin, a.k.a. Twinzer? Had to try it....
G5_Twinzer_Small.JPG
G5_Twinzer_Small.JPG (151.82 KiB) Viewed 167194 times
Surf was pretty pathetic, but I got enough "facetime" to appreciate the possiblities. In smaller, crappy waves, like this test day, hold is not an issue while speed an responsiveness are. Board speed was probably equal to the quad set-up, but turns were quicker/snappier. Now I'm thinking that I should modify my quad set-ups to go with the larger fin in the rear and the smaller fin in the front. Use wave size to determine how much total fin area is needed for desired hold, and varying front and rear fin size according to desire for more responsiveness; much smaller front for more pivot-y feel, and just slightly smaller front for more drive and projection (But always keeping the largest fin in the rear).
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger
City: Astigarraga
State or Province: Gipuzkoa

Unread post by asier esnal »

When you see your keel system, it reminded me of the typical windsurfing mounts in the quad system. small fins front and big back.

there is a lot of information about this on the internet, it gives fresh air and many ideas to study other modalities

That paipo has a design that excites me. congratulations

in this photo also appears the system of 2 central fins, which has me crazy
Attachments
quatro-w800.jpg
quatro-w800.jpg (174.43 KiB) Viewed 167181 times
Nels
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Nels »

Windsurfing is pretty near dead around me, couldn't tell you the last time I saw a windsurfer. Everything is kitesurfing. Until these posts I literally have never seen that particular 2 + 2 fin configuration.

Of course I'm a surf-hermit so that probably isn't good for expanding the horizons...

Nels
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger

This is a minor progression in the G5 line. I moved the twin fin cluster almost 1.5" towards the rear and added a set of FCS plugs to accommodate a "Nubster" or other trailing fin. The twin mods came from feedback I received from an Austrailian customer and the trailer was a request from a customer in Florida, who spent a lot of time on Twinnies in his "younger" pre-knee surgery days.
Attachments
G5_twin.JPG
www.tp4surf.com
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger

Here is the G5 bottom and outline adapted to a 5-11 kneeboard. Owner liked it so much, that he ordered a second one with 1/4" less thickness. As a shaper, I really enjoy the applicability of this design. I could imagine a 5ft'er for you guys who enjoy the "mega" prone board approach.
Attachments
G5_Kneeboard.JPG
G5_Kneeboard.JPG (44.87 KiB) Viewed 166667 times
www.tp4surf.com
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Hello Nomas,

How is the finless branch of the family tree going?

Bob