Variations...continued

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Variations...continued

Unread post by nomastomas »

The second (board in the middle) is a displacement hull shape that will be fitted with a single, 10” Greenough Speed Fin.
G4 concave deck retained.
G4 concave deck retained.
TB_Hull_Deck01_Web.JPG (58.54 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
Belly to...
Belly to...
TB_Hull_Bot3_Web.JPG (43.33 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
...flat out the tail
...flat out the tail
TB_Hull_Bot4_Web.JPG (35.66 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
This is a look down the rail from the tail. Thick side is deck.
This is a look down the rail from the tail. Thick side is deck.
TB_Hull_Rail_Web.JPG (64.06 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
Tail is on the left.
Tail is on the left.
TB_Hull_Foil_Web.JPG (25.73 KiB) Viewed 3220 times

All three boards are being glassed. I'll post more photos in a couple of weeks when they're done.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger

Re: Variations...continued

This one will get a 9.7" True Ames Greenough Speed center fin. Any of you who have read my posts know that I have a low regard for single-fin prone boards. This one has changed my opinion, and the long, slender Greenough Speed is what really makes this board interesting. Sorry, didn't have the fin when I took the photos. Maybe the owner will post some shots.
Attachments
IMG_3045.JPG
IMG_3047.JPG
IMG_3049.JPG
IMG_3050.JPG
IMG_3051.JPG
www.tp4surf.com
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

WOW Black beauty is this an all carbon fiber board??
Sharp looking board
its all about the ride
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger

Yep, he also has a CF G4 that I made him about about a year ago.
www.tp4surf.com
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger

The owner of this board uses a 9.7" True Ames Greenough Speed Fin. He recently gave me this input:

"Finally got out on the hull board. It worked well. The waves were chest to head high, but very soft. Point being, not a good session to reach conclusions from. However, the board did everything I asked of it. It actually turns better than I anticipated. I only had a couple of good wave faces but this is what I’ve got: It seemed a little sluggish when first on the wave. Felt a bit like fin drag, but the waves were soft. The board is completely controllable and more responsive than I expected. Riding position is fairly flexible. It does seem to like a more forward position. I think all I can say at this point it’s really good. It seems to want a waves with more zing than I was on."
www.tp4surf.com
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Nomas,

With that tail area the board should be fast. My experience is that as wave power increases so does the speed.

The foil looks somewhat similar to the original Goddard model, though the volume is a bit further forward.

Bob
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger

Second report from owner:
"Got out on the latest board today. Reasonable waves. When we we started, they were somewhat weak, but picked up quickly. 4-6 ft., some decent shape and good power. The board is pretty amazing. Although it’s quite different than the TB 4 it’s really quite similar in many ways. It catches waves easily, it’s smooth, it’s fast, and it turns. It likes a take off, more or less straight, drop, and turn. It gets down the line fast while working up and down the face. Actually it’s deceptively fast. Comparing the TB-4 to the hull board, the TB-4 is a west coast swing, the hull board is fast waltz. As I’m still learning about the TB-4, I’m sure I’ll learn about the hull board for a long time. This was a worthy endeavor on your part Thomas and should be a marketable piece. I’ll keep you informed as I think I’m going to spend a lot of time on it this winter."
www.tp4surf.com
Daryl D
Tube master
City: Rogue River
State or Province: OR

Unread post by Daryl D »

I've been out on the hull board several times now. To say I like it would be an understatement, but like every other board, it isn't perfect. Had it out yesterday in some well overhead, powerful for our area waves. It was amazing. The character of the board is to go down the face, bottom turn and come back up into the pocket. It doesn't "like" being held up in the wave. You can really feel the fin biting and holding on. If you just let it go a little, hang on! All that fits for me and is big fun. As I've mentioned before, it's a bit sluggish in weak waves, it's more difficult to get on the weak wave, but once on it's a pleasure. I'll probably put a shorter fin on next summer, but for now the long fin really works on winter waves. Didn't stay out too long as things just got too tough for a couple of old guys on the big waves and a rocky bottom.

Thomas mentioned that Nunzio and I like to experiment, yes. This board idea came from a wood Xylem board I had with convex top and bottom. Doesn't work well in the NW. I got the idea to flatten the top as the board, which was thicker because of my weight, it was a log in the water, and the shape didn't work on our not so clean waves. I flattened the top, left the bottom convex, and put in a fin box. Thomas made suggestions on fin placement which were followed and first time out it was great on 4'-6' waves. Because I've become fond of the the fiberglass-foam construction, I started to think about a displacement hull board and called Thomas. I really respect his understanding of what he does and craftsmanship in doing it. That's not to mention his glasser, Ray Lucke, who is amazing. Yes a definite success. It is really amazing to me how well it works after riding planing boards for so long now.