Thought experiment

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

Re: Thought experiment

Unread post by CHRISPI »

My first wingless boards, so easy to make compared to the wing boards. The white decked board has been tested in very good conditions 1.5 m @ 11seconds off shore, very easy to get comfortable on not like the wing boards that take at least 3 sessions to work out, very well balanced board, tracks well no need for fins, it’s hard to be objective comparing it to the wing boards, I am suffering information overload
Attachments
GOPR2485.JPG
GOPR2484.JPG
GOPR2483.JPG
GOPR2482.JPG
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Both boards tested in fantastic surf. The white decked board faultless, black decked board is ok , pulls great cutbacks not as directional, fells lose not tracking as well down steep faces
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Chrispi,

Sounds like the boards go better without the wings. An interesting opportunity to test new designs - in good waves. What are the dimensions of the better performing twin-keeled board?

Bob
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Bob
All my boards are about the same size, 46 in long, 19 in tail, 22 in widest point. I am blest in Durban lots of good warm water waves to test on. Are the wing less boards better than the winged ,wing less don’t handle choppy faces as well , and get pushed out of position by collapsed sections , the winged boards blast through collapsed sections so I make more waves. Off all the boards I have made the white decked board is the first that felt perfect from the first wave
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Thanks. Confirms the theory that there is no perfect board.

The big question - what is next?
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

It confirms that I have no cooking clue about understanding riding an incompressible fluid wave
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

CHRISPI wrote:It confirms that I have no cooking clue about understanding riding an incompressible fluid wave
Probably will require quantum computer modeling to even come close. The best (for now and likely for always) is your approach, intuitive experimentation based on direct experience. Pioneers may get arrows in their backs but they also make to edge of the map discoveries!
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

Keep the "thought" in "Thought experiment"...if it makes you happy then you must be doing something right, even if it's wrong...

Nels