8ft waves with wind paipo?

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger
City: Astigarraga
State or Province: Gipuzkoa

8ft waves with wind paipo?

Unread post by asier esnal »

I've been talking to a friend, I've told him that I'm going to leave surfing to start enjoying the paipo.
he has not done much grace, there is a lot of classism and fights within bodyboard water vs surf, with punching and continuous fights, it is usually war. I do not care to. I want to enjoy

On the beach that I usually enter in winter, 8 ft. waves with a lot of water mass and not very vertical, are more like mountains. these days it is usually very windy. He asked me how the hell I'm going to take those waves, I'll be shot like a stone in a river. I've been reading this forum a lot and I see that it has been about big sizes with wind . I've been looking at the work of gus costa, and nomastomas TBG5 .....

in how many decades that have been made paipos I am sure that I will not invent anything that has not been done before, it is not my intention, but I have a question

I remembered the nose of my father's old plastic canoe. It works very well in waves and is very stable, has any nose been made in this way? The difference of the design with respect to the coast is a sharp high point that cuts the water and the waves displacing the talents I pass some pictures
Attachments
big_cfc1f720-c01b-43e4-86b8-934c5334efce.jpg
big_cfc1f720-c01b-43e4-86b8-934c5334efce.jpg (42.36 KiB) Viewed 4771 times
PP-Series.png
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: 8ft waves with wind paipo?

Unread post by rodndtube »

Yes, there is an open-ocean (breaks maybe a quarter- to half-mile out?) wave that I have enjoyed riding in 8-12 ft, but some light cross chop can be a killer, and I have wondered about the effect significant belly or "v" might do to mitigate the bang-bang skip-bang rib cage knocking. For one, I started using a lacrosse rib protector when paddling out there ;)
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

Were there not experiments with milder "nose V" in Hawaii back in the day? Perhaps for same reason?
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

Unread post by CHRISPI »

This board is exceptional in big cross chop
Attachments
GOPR2424.JPG
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

a hull in v is much more unstable than a square hull, besides that when running the wall of the wave the shape of v does not claw in the water, it will slip to the lower part of the aola, of there is my proposal of a nose in v quickly passed to bee

Easy-to-use kayak models for inexperienced people have this form in almost all models. I've used them, I've been kayaking. I think they can be very bleat for even a paipo as we do not have the cushioning of the knees and legs on a foot surfboard

This is a link in Spanish, sure you also have in English http://navalaction.es/el-rincon-de-ion/ ... apitulo-2/

https://i2.wp.com/navalaction.es/wp-con ... =300%2C253
https://i0.wp.com/navalaction.es/wp-con ... =300%2C253
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

I have made a few hydrofoils for surfboards, the latest models work well but I have no talent to be able to bole on the board, my friends do. of what I have learned designing I have an idea that can be interesting

but in my experience it is very dangerous, I have had quite strong blows and modarudas, I have lost the desire to continue trying to learn to fly

of there is the desire to make a paipo without foils but easy to navigate in choppy waves

I think that in the world paipo, there are many ideas to apply, or a lot of restless mind to do it, the good thing is that being smaller than surfboards, the experiments are not so expensive
Attachments
23130693_1639985092732252_4290779850584856158_n.jpg
23130693_1639985092732252_4290779850584856158_n.jpg (77.6 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
23132002_1639985046065590_1449846768529345353_n.jpg
23132002_1639985046065590_1449846768529345353_n.jpg (88.49 KiB) Viewed 4749 times
quatro-w800.jpg
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

All foil roads lead to Surffoils. He has also posted a lot on Swaylocks.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Forget trying to fly
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

CHRISPI wrote:Forget trying to fly
I have the knowledge to do hydrofoil for the paipo. the free program xflr5 is very good for that, but it's not my intention. the idea is to design a paipo that minimizes the jumps in choppy waves

there are few weeks of big waves in the Cantabrian Sea, but it is something that I have to study seriously, I am passionate about the challenge of creating these small boards that demand so much detail

I had the program xlfr5 a bit abandoned, but it has given me to study the rails of the paipo
1 rails nose fallen
2 hydro hull rails
3 normal rails
each with its pros and cons, here are no longer worth the sensations or uncommon placebo cartoons
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (229.05 KiB) Viewed 4732 times
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

I think if you really want to learn to fly, and don't much care about crippling injury or death, get ye a squirrel suit. Might be wise to take a lesson along the way. :lol:
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

You are on the right track, a wonderful cerebral exercise, trying to understand riding waves .I was lucky having lots of good warm water waves to test on, my biggest problem was getting verifiable test data, on incremental board changes. No wave is ever the same, maybe wave pools with lots of video is the way forward??
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

I do not know if it is a tremendous nonsense or a good solution to the boats that give as when the stones are thrown into the lake

the paipo I'm going to laminate I've put a hairpiece, carved without much love, it's just a quick sketch
Attachments
31641858_1831269940270432_4257577509744279552_n.jpg
31890799_1831269766937116_7227045978971308032_n.jpg
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Would this board be finned or finless? I'd be more tempted to make a board without the ridge, but make a ridge that you can retro-fit, and modify if it is too big etc.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

this board goes without keels, it has enough guidance, the keels will only brake

very interesting the idea of doing a retro-fit. it had not occurred to me, I see it easy to do

but what do you think about the idea in general? I do not know if it's a very fat nonsense or good solution.

the price of epoxy resin and fiberglass is expensive for my economy
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Radical test, proof of concept, but there will certainly be some learning from it. Then refinement will commence.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

Nobody has done anything like that at least for prone craft to my knowledge. Waveskate and probably others have carried concave to the point of "pontoon" like features on the rails, the opposite of this. This looks like my kayak too, and that rides waves.

With no science or trial and error behind me...I would be concerned that it wouldn't turn very quickly, very easily, or both, especially with that deep a "hull" (may have to invent an applicable term for that protusion since "hull" is already applied to a type of surfcraft bottom). That said, for all I know maybe it would. Prone craft are ridden very differently from standup boards.

You are charting new territory. I like it.

Nels
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Let's just call it an evolution of the Lindsay Lord experiments on what makes a fast platform. He tested his theories with a paipo-type platform but applied empirical knowledge to hulled fast speed runner boats. I agree that as presently configured one does not make for a thruster-like turning board. Down the line or big-drop-and-go maybe it will be able to demonstrate something. The closest sibling might be some of the Gus Acosta designs, for example:
WA_7[1].jpg
WA_7[1].jpg (146.3 KiB) Viewed 4315 times
Nels wrote:Nobody has done anything like that at least for prone craft to my knowledge. Waveskate and probably others have carried concave to the point of "pontoon" like features on the rails, the opposite of this. This looks like my kayak too, and that rides waves.

With no science or trial and error behind me...I would be concerned that it wouldn't turn very quickly, very easily, or both, especially with that deep a "hull" (may have to invent an applicable term for that protusion since "hull" is already applied to a type of surfcraft bottom). That said, for all I know maybe it would. Prone craft are ridden very differently from standup boards.

You are charting new territory. I like it.

Nels
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

It has to be done .It will make a very strong structure it looks like it will tow well.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Scroll Concave on the tail v blended into the flat
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Long time ago, Dale Solomonson told me about series of experiments he did on hard kneelo. His were in the other direction, concave, but same idea--build the difference outside the glass job, w/ Bondo which sands pretty easily. Then take sand paper and files to beach. Go out, ride a few waves, come in slightly alter Bondo shape, ride a few more waves, etc, taking detailed notes along the way. Then once you get it dialed that way, go back and make permanent one in foam/glass only