Everybody wants to

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Re: Everybody wants to

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

"In the Wavestorm world and especially in the Wavestorm Frankenstein world I suspect anything goes. And probably not well..."

That's priceless! And a testament to the modern market place.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Now to hear how it goes. Look out.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

if you want to get those edges smooth try a hot clothes iron
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

I'll have to see if we have one of those around the house; I wouldn't know offhand :lol:

Seriously though I have to clean out a little resin seepage and then if we do have an iron I'll give it a go. I have to go way back in the mental fog though...wax paper down on top of the area to protect the iron? Something like that? I was thinking this beast needs to get wet just to see if it's worth installing the fins and a second trip. Deep down the thought of riding this "seriously" appeals about as much as trying to prone ride an SUP. I'm scratching an itch...
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Nels wrote:
I'll have to see if we have one of those around the house; I wouldn't know offhand :lol:

Seriously though I have to clean out a little resin seepage and then if we do have an iron I'll give it a go. I have to go way back in the mental fog though...wax paper down on top of the area to protect the iron? Something like that? I was thinking this beast needs to get wet just to see if it's worth installing the fins and a second trip. Deep down the thought of riding this "seriously" appeals about as much as trying to prone ride an SUP. I'm scratching an itch...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... rmz8HEocrd
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Nels is on the case:

A Board-Building Contest You Should Check Out - Surfer Magazine
https://apple.news/AOvzN-sbPTZKyOxGbDJd-6g
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Wow, Nels, I have never seen so many Wavemaster/Wavestorm boards. It is freaking crazy. Ouch. It is like cheapo bodyboards for the masses but now the masses are out in the line-up going every which crazy way.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Nels
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Nels »

Wow, Nels, I have never seen so many Wavemaster/Wavestorm boards. It is freaking crazy. Ouch. It is like cheapo bodyboards for the masses but now the masses are out in the line-up going every which crazy way.
It's nuts where I live and surf, Malibu to Ventura is the home territory. Nobody can say bodyboards lead people to standup surf any more, at least not around here. I see surf schools set up on weekdays in the middle of October. Summer of 2018 may have been the tipping point, at least for me.

On the other hand, with these beastly boards, I don't actually see people going every which crazy way. Mostly all go straight off. There are so many of these boards around they can't possibly all be beginners. Can't even find the humor in this...
Nels
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Nels »

An update...basically this is something of a snotty lark of a project, I have no performance aspirations. I'm scratching an itch. The easily recognizable elements will either amuse or anger viewers on the beach, which is fine with me.

Just not right now. I'm doing it for a laugh, and things aren't really funny around my regular beaches. It has nothing to do with surfing. Just before the time of my last post we had a mass shooting in a nearby city that killed a lot of people. A local guy from where I live, a Pepperdine student from down in Malibu, and others. A police office was killed. Within 24 hours the Santa Monica Mountains started burning and the fire ultimately burned to the sea. Over 1000 homes were lost. 3 people died. Places like Leo Carrillo State Park burned to a crisp, even the bathroom on the beach side. The only structures there that survived appear to be the entry kiosk and the Lifeguard HQ. The Zuma/Pt. Dume area fared somewhat better but that's where the bulk of the homes were lost.

Life goes on, the waves keep coming. When the time is right I'll get that thing in the water and report back.

2 photos from Leo Carrillo
Burn2.jpg
IMG_6438.JPG
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Geez, I recognized that Leo Carrillo parking lot and have used that bathroom on the beachside. That was a very nasty fire. I can relate with you, Nels, on the how state of affairs can create an environmental cloud. Back long ago, think 9/11/2001 - 10/10/2002, several things touched me closely. The Thursday before 9/11, I was in a 3 hr mtg in the Pentagon... that conference room was wiped out on 9/11; the other "target" that was aborted to a field in Pennsylvania was either the White House or Capitol building, my office was halfway between the two (however, I was safely surfing some tropical storm swell that morning in MD and DE); a month later was the anthrax attach that affected two Senate Office Buildings, one of which I had been in a meeting the week before. One year later were the Washington DC Sniper attacks that killed 10 over a period of 3 weeks, covering an area from Baltimore to Northern Virginia (the investigation later tracked the car to having targeted my son's middle school). Needless to say there was a chill in the air. My release was getting to the surf as often as possible!

Hope you caught some nice waves!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Nels
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Nels »

Yes...need to let the cosmic vibrations clear up when the air gets that fouled up. I can't bring myself to finish this project when people around me have lost so much. The Malibu coast is pretty much a non-stop Entitlement Expo now, but one needs to be human. Otherwise I guess we'd all just go to Costco and buy one of these floaters and jump back in on top of each other.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

For some recovering will take a lifetime - it's hard to anticipate the effects of natural disasters until you are confronted by one.

Sooner or later the ocean will call.
Nels
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Nels »

Done...-ish! Final dimensions are 55.5" length, 20.5" at the tail, widepoint is still 22.5" roughly at the widest point. The two surviving fins went in roughly as a mini-simmons placement.

No test run yet, need to get through the storm cycles and get the water cleaned up. Wah wah, I know, but we literally had snow that stuck on the Santa Monica Mountains last week, and there was photo-quality snow/slush/grapple on the beach at Leo Carrillo and flurries at Zuma. But until then, here's the final photos.
WSF4.jpg
WSF3.jpg
WSF2.jpg
WSF1.jpg