Everybody wants to

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.

Re: Everybody wants to

Unread postby krusher74 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:32 am

They are the best selling board in the world! "the magic" of them is that the are the cheapest board you can buy coming straight out of china. They unfortunately fill the needs of the average cheap kook starting out in the sport. They are the plastic bag/single use water bottle of the surf industry. They also sell out of costco and had at one time a free replacement scheme and at one time jamie obrien was taking them to pipe snapping them and going back to costco for another. :(
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

City: swansea
State or Province: wales

Unread postby Nels » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:35 am

They are the best selling board in the world! "the magic" of them is that the are the cheapest board you can buy coming straight out of china. They unfortunately fill the needs of the average cheap kook starting out in the sport. They are the plastic bag/single use water bottle of the surf industry. They also sell out of costco and had at one time a free replacement scheme and at one time jamie obrien was taking them to pipe snapping them and going back to costco for another. :(

That pretty much sums up everything I detest about society at large...and given they are the best selling boards in the world and I see as many of them with surfers as I do other boards (completely supplanting bodyboards in SoCal)...do the math. Getting hard not to detest "surfing". I don't know what things are like in other surfing countries any more, but in Southern California there are just so many people on boards now it really isn't funny. You see these Costco boards on cars, the side of the road as people get ready, and in the water nearly everywhere. I was stuck in northbound traffic for about 40 minutes from Santa Monica to Malibu that August 24 Hurricane Marie swell 3-4 years ago, right next to a car with a girl who had a Wavestorm on top...like it was the south swell of a generation and she was going to paddle that pig out somewhere, Stupid, and scary, and stupid.

And worse, up my way at least, Zuma to say Rincon with side trips "further north", for the past three or four years I've seen Wavestorms show up with solid recreational surfers, people who can actually surf on short or long boards. They get a Wavestorm for the ubiquitous friends or family who want to "surf", and sometimes the crowd situation is so nuts they just take their thrasher Wavestorm out so they can still get wet and ride a few without the struggle and worry of their more performance-oriented surfcraft. You can almost see a "progression"...pretty soon rather than have a "good" board that needs babysitting they just bring the Wavestorm when the surf is junk. I suspect a lot of new surfers see no reason to progress off a Wavestorm; surfing isn't as big a thing to them as it was to many from earlier times.

I think these boards might literally be changing the surfing culture, if not now, in the coming years. Somebody around here, maybe Jon from Cornwall who has been quiet for a long time, or maybe Eff, mentioned "lowering the bar", and I think Wavestorms are doing just that for standup surfing. Sort of like those "governors" that limit top speed in race cars. If it cools the insane competitiveness in the troubled waters that might actually be a good thing, but like any tool, it depends on who uses it...
Nels
Big Wave Charger

City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread postby Uncle Grumpy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:52 pm

In 2016 alone, Costco sold 100,000 of those abominations.

11243873_998535433491854_1674031707_n.jpg
11243873_998535433491854_1674031707_n.jpg (11.72 KiB) Viewed 154 times

say no.jpg
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger

City: San Clemente

Unread postby nomastomas » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:40 pm

Just curious Uncle G...do you feel the same way about the the foam paipo a.k.a. Morey Boogie Board?
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger

City: Ojai
State or Province: CA

Unread postby krusher74 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:05 am

nomastomas wrote:Just curious Uncle G...do you feel the same way about the the foam paipo a.k.a. Morey Boogie Board?

The boogie/bodyboard industry have their own wave storm, its the sub $50 bought by the inlanders one week a year beach holiday for the the kids.

Here are 600 snapped one left on just a few southern English beaches this summer :(
Attachments
bodys.jpg
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

Unread postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:16 am

krusher74 wrote:The boogie/bodyboard industry have their own wave storm, its the sub $50 bought by the inlanders one week a year beach holiday for the the kids.

Here are 600 snapped one left on just a few southern English beaches this summer :(

That certainly highlights the enviro disaster that is surfing except for wood boards and body surfing... Three toots for roots!
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread postby Uncle Grumpy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:22 am

nomastomas wrote:Just curious Uncle G...do you feel the same way about the the foam paipo a.k.a. Morey Boogie Board?

No.
Only those shitty ones made from really cheap EPS like the ones Krusher mentioned.

FWIW I love Tom Morey and his creations..
Attachments
TM and HF.jpg
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger

City: San Clemente

Unread postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:31 am

To amend my post above, I think Morey's creation of the bb is one of the most brilliant ideas in surfing and have greatly enjoyed riding them. Materials is the problem. Once they die, and everything dies, what happens to it. Also, what resources are used to create it in the first place. We now have so many people on the planet, and we 1st worlders are sucking up resources and spewing waste at such a ferocious rate, that those issues need to be front and center always.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread postby rodndtube » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:55 pm

My boards never die. I still have my original paipo board from 50 years ago, created from a broken Holmsey Sidewinder during a ride on a 4 ft wave at Bridges, Aguadilla, Puerto Rico. I've sold a couple of my former boards over the years, one is with a third owner and continues to live on and ridden regularly.
Holmesy-sidewinder-copy[1].jpg

HS Gang at Marias.jpg
Board in the century plant.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland

Unread postby krusher74 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:56 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:To amend my post above, I think Morey's creation of the bb is one of the most brilliant ideas in surfing and have greatly enjoyed riding them. Materials is the problem. Once they die, and everything dies, what happens to it. Also, what resources are used to create it in the first place. We now have so many people on the planet, and we 1st worlders are sucking up resources and spewing waste at such a ferocious rate, that those issues need to be front and center always.

The problem is we want what we don't need :(

i'n 5 years i think i have nailed down my paipo design to something i think i could ride for the rest of my days, as I feel the weakest link now is my skill, the board will do what ever I want with out and fight back. So I think now if i constructed one from light enough paulowina (and dont get fat) i could probably see out my surfing days on it. :?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

PreviousNext

Return to Paipo Board Design & Building