paulownia + polyester+ fiberglass: rocker and flex

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger
City: Astigarraga
State or Province: Gipuzkoa

Re: paulownia + polyester+ fiberglass: rocker and flex

Unread post by asier esnal »

these are some image captures for which you can not see the video
Attachments
70x301.png
30x70.png
30x70.png (496.07 KiB) Viewed 6611 times
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Thanks Geoffrey, this may have been explained previously and I missed it.

Time will tell whether working cross grained is a good idea or not.

If the boards are too heavy, consider, working with the grain and a different finish.

How they surf will be the test.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

I have seen this carbon fiber. laminated directly with the hotcoat: carbon fiber + polyester + paraffin, I think I can lighten the weight.

Vector Net XP 227 - 1/2" Diamond Pattern (50cm)

I do not know if with this carbon cloth I will have such good results compared to 6oz fiberglass
Attachments
vector-net-xp-227-1-2-diamond-pattern-50cm (2).jpg
vector-net-xp-227-1-2-diamond-pattern-50cm (2).jpg (143.41 KiB) Viewed 6602 times
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

asier esnal wrote:perfect, that's what I wanted to say, I feel the confusion, I do not know how to solve my writings in English, I'm really sorry
No apology necessary. I have felt the confusion and chaos of trying to communicate in someone else's language. Some people can just pick up other languages with ease. Not me though! After 1 1/2 years of one or two hours a day study and talking to people on the street and in shops, I could just about deal with shopping for groceries, ordering food in a restaurant, or telling a taxi driver where I wanted to go. More than that I was drowning in a stormy sea :lol:
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Communication even between English speakers can be difficult. I've had people in NZ, Canada and the US not be able to understand me.

It's often helpful to translate something and then translate it back into the original language and see if it makes sense.

Rod and I have done a couple of bi-lingual interviews - he's working on a French& English one currently. An option is to make a post in Spanish and add the English translation. A good opportunity to improve our Spanish.

I've also used lots of translation programs. Translate with and between programs and see which works best.

Besides google there is:

https://spanishdictionary.cc/spanish-to-english
http://webtranslation.paralink.com/Span ... anslation/
https://www.babelfish.com/

I used to use this but it's not working currently: https://www.freetranslation.com/
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:Communication even between English speakers can be difficult. I've had people in NZ, Canada and the US not be able to understand me.

It's often helpful to translate something and then translate it back into the original language and see if it makes sense.

Rod and I have done a couple of bi-lingual interviews - he's working on a French& English one currently. An option is to make a post in Spanish and add the English translation. A good opportunity to improve our Spanish.

I've also used lots of translation programs. Translate with and between programs and see which works best.

Besides google there is:

https://spanishdictionary.cc/spanish-to-english
http://webtranslation.paralink.com/Span ... anslation/
https://www.babelfish.com/

bgreen: I used to use this but it's not working currently: https://www.freetranslation.com/
An option is to make a post in Spanish and add the English translation:

It's a great idea, from now on, if it does not bother you for complicated things, I'll use this form of communication. I'm going to look at the pages that you've passed me, I want to improve, thanks again
es una gran idea, a partir de ahora, si no os molesta para las cosas complicadas usare esta forma de comunicación. voy a mirar las paginas que me has pasado, quiero mejorar, gracias de nuevo
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:It's often helpful to translate something and then translate it back into the original language and see if it makes sense.
If not helpful, at least hilarious! Trying that when I was in Ecuador was how I found out just how much trouble I was in...
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Or for more fun, type it in your language and translate to another and back but then copy the translation and paste to translate back and forth another time or two. Won't take many goes to end up with complete word salad.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

first day of test. When I got into the water, I had problems with the minimum flotation of the wooden paipo, I have never had anything like that. I've gotten used to it, but I miss something more floating. Frankenboogie has good ideas, I'm thinking about 1 inch of eva

when I have taken waves it has worked perfect, it has a sensational grip, a good and nice flex, good shape inspired by the designs of nomastomas

the roker: the work has died, it has saved me from sticking the tip of the maipo into the water a few times

fins: very happy with the navigation. I have doubts, if I put 2 large fins they will work just as well and it will be less work to make the paipo

weight: in the water or it feels as heavy as under the arm, it really has not worried me. the configuration of 6ozfiberglass + 18mm paulowia + 6ozfiberglass stays like this, I will not change anything, if it works better do not touch

tomorrow again to the water. I will comment on new sensations

es
primer día de test. cuando me he metido al agua, he tenido problemas con la mínima flotación del paipo de madera, nunca he tenido algo asi. me he acostumbrado, pero echo en falta algo más de flotación.Frankenboogie tiene buenas ideas, estoy pensando en 1 pulgada de eva

cuando he cojido olas ha funcionado perfecto, tiene un agarre sensacional, un buen y agradable flex, buen shape inspirado en los diseños de nomastomas

el roker: ha perecido la pena el trabajo, me ha salvado de clavar la punta del maipo en el agua unas cuantas veces

fins: muy contento con la navegación. tengo dudas, si pongo 2 fins grandes funcionaran igual de bien y será menos trabajo para hacer el paipo

peso: en el agua no se siente tan pesado como debajo del brazo, realmente no me ha preocupado. la configuracion de 6ozfiberglass +18mm paulowia + 6ozfiberglass se queda como esta, no voy a cambiar nada, si funciona mejor no tocar

mañana otra vez al agua. os comentare nuevas sensaciones
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

Second day in the water. very happy, I have learned to go up the waves without needing the volume and the flotation, a great advance, has entered series of 1.5m and I have been able to overcome the waves very easy, so I do not need more volume, enchanted

table design: siemto 21 very wide, I have a table, I'm thinking of a second one for big waves at 19.5

fins: as this table is going to be narrower I thought of a twinfin system, to compensate for the lack of the rear keels I will put a more radical tail, with more grip, more pointed

es
segundo dia en el agua. muy contento, he aprendido ha remontar las olas sin necesitar el volumen y la flotacion, un gran avance, ha entrado series de 1.5m y he podido remontar las olas muy facil, asi que no necesito mas volumen, encantado

diseño de tabla: siemto 21 muy ancha, me sobra tabla, estoy pensando en una segunda para olas grandes en 19.5

fins: como esta tabla va a ser mas estrecha he pensado en un sistema de twinfin, para compensar la falta de las quillas trasera voy a poner un tail mas radical, con mas agarre, mas puntiagudo
Attachments
30x701.png
30x701.png (21.52 KiB) Viewed 6570 times
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

I have read this link carefully, I have drawn the paipo I had thought to 19. I prefer 18 to work better in vertical wind waves ,,, so I modified the plan to this measure, has the previous paipo's construction and a pod of Fiberglass reinforcement since I'm going to get into waves of 2m and I do not want it to split

he leído atentamente este enlace, he dibujado el paipo que tenia pensado a 19. prefiero de 18 funcionara mejor en olas de viento, verticales,,, asi que he modificado el plano a esta medida, tiene la cosntruccion del paipo anterior y un pod de refuerzo de fibra de vidrio ya que voy a entrar en olas de 2m y no quiero que parta

http://mypaipoboards.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=670
Attachments
47497789_2125094674221289_3532843693130121216_n.jpg
47436217_2125094640887959_2723706622323982336_n.jpg
47458397_2125094604221296_5448177899150508032_n.jpg
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

asier esnal wrote: I do not like the paipos without fins, nor the bodyboard, I hate the lateral displacements and skids
The side slipping you described might be due to the board being quite large. If you try a finless board that is narrower and longer you will see that the inside rail actually behaves like a fin as long as you slightly lean your body inside, it doesnt side slip unless you decide to (which is fun sometimes).

Having said that, I understand that fins help a lot when waves get bigger, as you can really rely on them.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Escribe en español and I will give it a try, "to get the rocker and that flex I have to cut the wood in contraction direction to the feed, if I do not give fiberglass part by just touching it", but I understood it as needing fiberglass to maintain the rocker.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

zensuni wrote:
asier esnal wrote: I do not like the paipos without fins, nor the bodyboard, I hate the lateral displacements and skids
The side slipping you described might be due to the board being quite large. If you try a finless board that is narrower and longer you will see that the inside rail actually behaves like a fin as long as you slightly lean your body inside, it doesnt side slip unless you decide to (which is fun sometimes).

Having said that, I understand that fins help a lot when waves get bigger, as you can really rely on them.
I have not had time to try the last paipo of 18 width that I have made. but what measures do you recommend me to go without fins, if board of paulownia is 18mm thick = 0.7in?
my measurements are 1.77m high and 75kg weight = 69.6in, high and 165lb

es
no he tenido tiempo de probar la última tabla de 18 de ancho que he hecho. pero que medidas me recomiendas para ir sin fin, si el tablero de paulownia es de 18mm de espesor=0.7in ?
mis medidas son 1.77m de alto y peso 75kg = 69,6 in, de alto y 165 lb
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

asier esnal wrote:
I have not had time to try the last paipo of 18 width that I have made. but what measures do you recommend me to go without fins, if board of paulownia is 18mm thick = 0.7in?
my measurements are 1.77m high and 75kg weight = 69.6in, high and 165lb

es
no he tenido tiempo de probar la última tabla de 18 de ancho que he hecho. pero que medidas me recomiendas para ir sin fin, si el tablero de paulownia es de 18mm de espesor=0.7in ?
mis medidas son 1.77m de alto y peso 75kg = 69,6 in, de alto y 165 lb
I am 1,66m, my board is a 1cm tick varnished plywood board, no rocker, flat bottom, 120x40cm. I surf small to medium size waves, so far it works pretty good, very easy to catch waves, even the small ones. It is faster than a bodyboard, especially in longboard type waves, and not too much side slipping. I have had some fun micro barrels with that board. It is basically just a flat planing surface, but it fits well with the kind of waves I am confortable to surf.
In this video I use it: https://youtu.be/EVWwCZgZnzc

I have never tried a paipo board with fins, but I did try an HPD paipo, the same one than this photo:
This is the opposite of my board, it is very wide, definitely not flat (spoon shape), relatively short, I have never really understood how to hold a line with it (a lot of side slipping !). Maybe it just doesn't fit to the french beach breacks waves :D

Checkout my youtube channel, no great surf to watch, but you can see the different shapes I tried
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9mcJ4 ... subscriber
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

"I did try an HPD paipo..."

Never an HPD but made same outline out of plywood once. Seemed to me that the board required huge body position shifts so that my hip was always almost right on top of one rail or the other and hand on airborne rail used to drive the weighted rail into the wave face. That way, the thin edge could act as a fin but there was a heck of a lot of board up in the air most of the time. My thought at the time was this would be what Dorothy felt like had she tried to ride the barn door in the tornado on her way to Oz. Since the waves I first tried it in were 6-8 foot face, dredging sand barrels at local beach break, my thoughts weren't that coherent though, more like, "GLUB-GLUB Dorothy! Cough Gack Oz!"
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

GeoffreyLevens wrote:"I did try an HPD paipo..."

Never an HPD but made same outline out of plywood once. Seemed to me that the board required huge body position shifts so that my hip was always almost right on top of one rail or the other and hand on airborne rail used to drive the weighted rail into the wave face. That way, the thin edge could act as a fin but there was a heck of a lot of board up in the air most of the time. My thought at the time was this would be what Dorothy felt like had she tried to ride the barn door in the tornado on her way to Oz. Since the waves I first tried it in were 6-8 foot face, dredging sand barrels at local beach break, my thoughts weren't that coherent though, more like, "GLUB-GLUB Dorothy! Cough Gack Oz!"
:lol:
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onScB4vj70I

Now I understand, we are looking for very different waves. Give me some waves like the ones in this video with few people and I am the happiest man in the world, as you can see they are usually always moved by the wind, they have a lot of thrust and a lot of water. , I am very happy in these days of waves

es
ahora entiendo, estamos buscando olas muy diferentes.dame unas olas como las de este video con poca gente y soy el hombre mas feliz del mundo, cómo ves la solas siempre suelen estar algo movidas por el viento, tienen mucho empuje y mucha masa de agua, soy muy feliz en estos días de olas
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Many different waves out there and many different people riding their paipo boards on them, whether it is a local wave break that a person may not venture far from or a faraway wave that is traveled to, and everything in-between. Young 15 year olds to older 75+ year olds, super fit and healthy and sluggish and chunky and everything in-between. Cold water and hot water, heavy rubber and virtually skinless, and everything in-between. Thin finless ply to thick super multi-finned EPS glassed boards, and a lot in-between (one more refrain!). And many different riding styles.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

18-20" is ok.

The no rocker issue - some rocker helps but the boards flex is an aspect. I have a fibreglass board with no rocker and it nosedives once the wave gets hollow.

Donostia - I've been there 4 times but never surfed there. That footage shows a variety of waves. The bodyboarder's wave would be better suited for a bellyboard. The fuller, slower/closeout waves would be harder on a ply board.