T-Belly G6

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Re: T-Belly G6

Unread post by krusher74 »

nomastomas wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:52 am That's interesting...I've never experienced that. It may be that the dual "exit concaves" I place on the bottom are doing their job and relieving the pressure beneath the tail, eliminating excess lift in this area. Lindsay Lord discuss this phenomenon in his book and which inspired Bob Simmons to incorporate a single exit concave in his shapes, which is where I got the idea. "Standing on the shoulders of giants..."
I stole the single exit concave from simmons and it too works very well on my boards
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

I followed the same path, but shifted to the double on the G3. I think the double is more effective in directing and enhancing water flow then a wide single. Typically, the board is on one rail or the other. But this double exit concave is not new, nor my idea. It has been used for decades on the Bonzer bottoms of the Campbell Bros, Mike Eaton and others.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Managed to get in a nice session at Moonstone Beach in Cambria, CA this past Sat. Not as big as I'd hoped, but a fun 4-5ft. Nice little reef break with a solid left and an A-frame peak just a little north of that. I've gotten into the habit of making really late take-offs by just stretching out with the board and using it like a hand-plane when I get caught in the lip. Works pretty good on a slopey wave, like my home break, but rather painful on a wave that actually throws a little. Twice I was pitched out into the flats, where my 3-4ft free fall came to an abrupt halt, once resulting in a fat lip from doing a face plant on the deck, and once resulting in some whiplash when I vigorously rebounded. But, unintentional aerials aside, the G6 performed really well. The pulled-in nose keeps the forward rail out of the wave face no matter how far up on the board or how much I put it on rail.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com