Nose thickness

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Nose thickness

Unread post by bgreen »

My favourite board is the dark green one. It has a foil more like a surfboard foil, with more volume in the nose area. The yellow board is the oldest and most similar to Larry's original design. It was # 2 in the series and thinner than the original. Excluding the red and the white boards, all the others have the same template and similar but not identical rails.

It is like photographing cats, the red board looks thicker in the nose than it is, because of the angle and the white board, similarly looks thicker than it is. Having said that, the white board could do with more rocker or a more experienced surfer, who can ride it without nosediving.
Foils.jpg
Noses.jpg
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Re: Nose thickness

Unread post by nomastomas »

This is my latest G5 profile. With no deck concave, and only 3/16" bottom concave, it is an accurate representation of the thickness flow from nose to tail (foil). Keep in mind that this is how the blank will come off the CNC machine and that the extreme ends will be thinned out 1/4" or so. Typically, I bring the deck down to the bottom in the tail, and the bottom up to the deck in the nose, with about a 3/8" radius at each end.
Profile_G5_PU49.jpg
In my mind, nose thickness is dictated by target volume, length, width and rail shape. I try to maintain a differential of 1/8" to 1/4" between thickness 12" up from tail and 12" down from nose. So, after I shape the bottom, I play with the deck, mowing foam until I hit the target numbers. Much easier to do on the computer than with the planer. When I hand shape, I always have a printout like this in hand as a reference.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger

One other point, I consider rider mass and intended use in determining target volume. So, a larger rider in smaller waves would get more volume than a smaller rider in smaller waves. And nose thickness would vary accordingly; thicker nose for larger rider and vice versa.
www.tp4surf.com
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Foil.png
The first board in this series was 2 1/2 - 2 11/16 - 1 3/4; the board previous to this one was 1 3/4 - 1 3/4 - 1, so changes recently are more subtle and in the distribution.
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger

Finless?
www.tp4surf.com
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

Thomas one of my best board noses amongst the boards you built for me was on the Kevlar Carbon board
I noticed the nose is thinner while you kept the foam volume more in the area under the main body trunk
The thinner nose allows me for a much better and easier duck dive. Gripping the board in this areas allows
me to push it deeper underwater and by shifting my body weight backwards allows the thicker center board
area to start floating back up towards the surface
Love that thinner nose area better then the other comparable boards which came out with a bit more volume
and with thicker noses
its all about the ride
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger

Yes, less volume in the front third of the shape is easier to duck-dive. Less "area" is also easier to submerge, e.g. narrow pointy nose vs. wide blunt nose
www.tp4surf.com
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Finless?

The two white book-ends, the bonzer and the handled Quam, have only been ridden with fins.

Of the remaining boards,you'll see only the orange board with a set of fins (small rounded keels). This board has fins because it draws a really long line and requires effort to do a cutback. The board was made after I told Chris I wanted more projection after a trip to Indonesia. I surfed this board in Ireland where I had a surf with Krusher. The yellow board has been ridden, finned and finless,I prefer it finless. If it had fins, they would be less than 4".

The green, pale blue and red boards are ridden finless - I can't recall when I rode them finned.
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:47 am
The first board in this series was 2 1/2 - 2 11/16 - 1 3/4; the board previous to this one was 1 3/4 - 1 3/4 - 1, so changes recently are more subtle and in the distribution.
I would estimate that this board is under 22L, and as such it would be way too thin for me. But, it would yield really thin rails which would be conducive to a finless design. Although the profile might be misleading if the shape has a concave deck and/or concave bottom, in which case the rails would have much more volume.
www.tp4surf.com
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Nomas,

Most decks are standard flat/rolled, the bottom has concaves. The pale blue boards, has a scooped out deck - the initial thinking was a flextail/spoon.

Some bottom photos: https://mypaipoboards.org/forum3/viewto ... =923#p9049
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

I think a lot of this is also the length of nose in front of the normal riding position. I don't experience any problems with pearling the nose ever, which is why I am an advocate of the shorter board. The longer the board the more nose rocker in front of the rider you are going to need to have.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:47 am Foil.png

I have the same nose rocker 2 7/8 but in a shorter board. I have never really considered or changed nose thickness.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

krusher74 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:33 pm I don't experience any problems with pearling the nose ever, which is why I am an advocate of the shorter board.
If you go too vertical on a take-off, what happens?

I dusted off the HPD yesterday. I'm not a fan of having to push forward onto the board,at take-off. If you rode one all the time, I guess it would become natural. I found it really worked my shoulders, a bit much.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:53 am
krusher74 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:33 pm I don't experience any problems with pearling the nose ever, which is why I am an advocate of the shorter board.
If you go too vertical on a take-off, what happens?

I dusted off the HPD yesterday. I'm not a fan of having to push forward onto the board,at take-off. If you rode one all the time, I guess it would become natural. I found it really worked my shoulders, a bit much.
I don't have a "too vertically" I can take off straight on a wave to the point of air dropping and not have a problem nose-diving.

I find the shoulder movement is what allows me to control the nose and lift it up if needed, if you are not on your elbow and controlling the rail through your shoulder you will be on your chest giving you very little control to stop a pearl. This is why i don't think it's good to have too much nose as it stretches your arm forward and loses that shoulder angle/leverage, and hence why some have blocks to hold further back from the nose.

Interestingly i was surfing with another bodyboarder the other day and he was riding with his elbow off the side of the board , i was talking about how i use the elbow on the board and how a kind of shoulder barging move drives you along the wave. The next day i saw him and he was complaining of sore ribs, and that was evidence of him taking the movement of the board to the ribs/chest and not the elbow/shoulder
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

Mike Stewart has a couple videos that go into the details of skillfully riding a BB much of which can be applied to Paipo riding as well.
The sound quality on this one is pretty awful but it's worth watching.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEhXYm6UAyg
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

I don't have a "too vertically" I can take off straight on a wave to the point of air dropping and not have a problem nose-diving.

By straight, do you mean straight facing to shore?

I much prefer to be on the board when I kick into a wave than behind the board and pulling up onto the board as the wave is caught, that's the shoulder action I was referring to, not the actual riding position.

UncleG I may have seen this video - is this the one he talks about duck diving waves and underwater dynamics? I'll have a look at it over hte next few days or so.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:29 pm

By straight, do you mean straight facing to shore?

I much prefer to be on the board when I kick into a wave than behind the board and pulling up onto the board as the wave is caught, that's the shoulder action I was referring to, not the actual riding position.

UncleG I may have seen this video - is this the one he talks about duck diving waves and underwater dynamics? I'll have a look at it over hte next few days or so.
Yes, I mean straight down the face not going left or right at all. if I had too much nose (or a longer nose with no extra rocker) on my board i would have to be on the back of it to "wheelie" to stop the nose pearling.