Does it sound like a good paipo ?

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Does it sound like a good paipo ?

Unread post by zensuni »

Hi there, long time no see.
It's been not such a great year so far, I haven't surfed a lot. Plus I got "covided" a month ago, it was not that bad but I still feel that I kinda have a tiny bit less breath than I used to, will see in the water if it is just a feeling or not.
Anyway, I want to cheer myself up for Christmas by offering myself a nice gift.
I just falled into this second hand board, what do you think, does it sound like a good option to be riden prone ?
It is handmade in France, epoxy construction, future fins
Dimensions are 3'10 x 21" x 2"1/4
Do you think it would make a nice paipo ? Sounds good to me, just wondering if it is not a bit too wide.
https://www.leboncoin.fr/sports_hobbies/1826897736.htm
ea5d352d723386d64c7c2805d5187a2f6b4eaaec.jpg
8af26a2513f93649c0704bf1cef8c2125d03d12f.jpg
7cb71ba9c8fc5aa39903b82900132c93ba93d301.jpg
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: Does it sound like a good paipo ?

Unread post by bgreen »

Width is a matter of taste - Jeff's boards are way wider: https://mypaipoboards.org/interviews/Je ... 0602.shtml

If it is not too expensive, why not?

Width always operates in harmony with other parameters.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Looks nice to me. It is all up to you now! As Bob said, width is a matter of preference and at 21 inches is in good range of the other dimensions. My preference would be to probably slap on some smaller fins but see how it goes and try some other fins if there is something else you are looking for in your typical waves.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

That's about the same dimensions as my boards. I ride 21.5 wide which is a very standard width for a 42" bodyboard for the last 30 years. Should work finless too.
I wish i could sell my used boards for 300E, nobody seems interested if I advertize them at half that :(
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

my $0.02...the shape pictured is pretty well-executed with a wide-point forward outline, beveled rail allows concave deck, bottom contours appear to be belly-to-flat with exit concave out the tail. All good stuff... but I would not surf this board with fins unless all I wanted to do was go fast in a straight line. Fins will increase hold and drive, but will make it harder (not impossible) to release the relatively straight rail line in the rear half, produced by the forward wide-point. Turns will be more drawn-out, wider-radius. If we have learned nothing from the modern shortboard, it is that a wide-point back of center creates more curve in the tail outline and allows a smaller radius turn, and wide-point back also pools volume where the majority of the rider's weight is found. Nix the fins and you'll have a more responsive prone board.

To me, there are several factors that influence "width"; desired volume, desired outline and rider silhouette to name a few. (some riders are, well, wider than other riders, and require a wider shape) The biggest problem that I have with production body boards is the "one-size-fits-all" design mentality (sure there are a couple of lengths offered, but little variance in width, thickness and tailblock width. A board ridden prone should have a tailblock slightly wider than the width of the intended rider's hips. This keeps as much of the body out of the water as possible, reducing form drag. Most body boards are designed for the "typical" bodyboard rider 5'8"-5'10", 150lb-170lb. I would say that the above pictured board would work best for a rider close to this size.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Zensuni - did you buy it?
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

I didn t buy it, the seller didn t want to ship it, and he was too far from where I live.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

krusher74 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:40 am That's about the same dimensions as my boards. I ride 21.5 wide which is a very standard width for a 42" bodyboard for the last 30 years. Should work finless too.
I wish i could sell my used boards for 300E, nobody seems interested if I advertize them at half that :(
Do you ship ?