Lockdown special The Bat Lid

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

Lockdown special The Bat Lid

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Another crackpot idea, see what happens if you fold the rail wake over twice??untested still in lockdown !!!
F12 (2).jpg
F12 (2).jpg
Attachments
F3 (2).jpg
flojo
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura County
State or Province: california
Interests: bike riding, surfing, music

Re: Lockdown special The Bat Lid

Unread post by flojo »

interesting design! you have some serious fabrication skill.......
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

Love the look of this board, very unique.
Do you sell some of the boards you shape ?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

I would love to try out one of your boards, but think as with many things Brexshit has ruined any chance of that.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Just finished a second test ride on this board .3 hrs at Cayton Bay 4 to 5ft a weak 9 sec swell offshore winds ,first thing I noted was how easy it was to find the ride centre the board sort off lands naturally under the body , the other wing boards all take a few sessions the work out , pulls long high lines sort of doesn't need a bottom turn on take off straight high line down the line .Every one talks about how well a board duck dives I hate going under water here so friging cold but this board pops over foames very well kicking my hips and legs out the water hard on the hips and midriff get it wrong and its a embarrassing back roll into the foam pit ,strangely goes right far better than left need to look at the geometry to try understand what's going on
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

CHRISPI wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:23 pm Just finished a second test ride on this board .3 hrs at Cayton Bay 4 to 5ft a weak 9 sec swell offshore winds ,first thing I noted was how easy it was to find the ride centre the board sort off lands naturally under the body , the other wing boards all take a few sessions the work out , pulls long high lines sort of doesn't need a bottom turn on take off straight high line down the line .Every one talks about how well a board duck dives I hate going under water here so friging cold but this board pops over foames very well kicking my hips and legs out the water hard on the hips and midriff get it wrong and its a embarrassing back roll into the foam pit ,strangely goes right far better than left need to look at the geometry to try understand what's going on
I find although many seem surprised when I tell them, that I have a direction preference as a prone rider. I am a prone goofy. I am right-handed and seem to be in better control of a board when my dominant hand is on the outer rail.

So the board going right "better" maybe you and not the board. it would be interesting to build an asymmetric board that may be helped with these human differences.

glad you got out in the water (coldest seas in the uk), have you taken a trip to staites yet, only an hour up the coats from cayton.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

I find if I've just been surfing rights for weeks, initially surfing left feels less natural and vice versa.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

I have checked staites on the google sat picks cant see were to surf , I am a loan surfer and suffer water anxiety at new places so good to have a surf buddy to push the envelop , I also have some questionable paddle out techniques , I use a kick board stance holding the board a bit fare back to pull it under me to duck dive so I grip it under my arm and pull it under breaking waves . Works in up to 6 ft but larger I battel, with age I cant paddle with my arms shoulder joints cant handle it only leg power lucky I have good legs .Good duck diving techniques is probably the most important basic skill to learn in surfing its my biggest limiting tech to bigger surf .
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Whitby to Saltburn looks like it has a few options. R Bay??