French paipo

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: French paipo

Unread post by bgreen »

Tail rocker. Reading back over the posts it is a bit like design by committee. If i was you, Id explain what sort of waves you ride and what you want the board to do, basic dimensions and see what the shaper reckons.

Treat it as experiment. Next time youllbe clearer what you want.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

It is going good so far. The shaper was a bit confused by the rails on the original photos. I was too so I told him to stick to the original board as much as possible.
ezgif-7-eaa3ef57f2af.gif
ezgif-7-eaa3ef57f2af.gif (4.73 MiB) Viewed 15021 times
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

ec221f4d207f8997a730f03fc2ec32b4.0.jpg
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

Unread post by CHRISPI »

I love the rails in the tail area . But they look fragile and will chip for nothing ,I contemplate this allot how thin is to thin on a rail dose it improve performance
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

CHRISPI wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:04 am...I contemplate this allot how thin is to thin on a rail dose it improve performance
As rail gets super thin you can always add glass to strengthen. GG's Velo had tail and rear rails abpit ⅛"-3/16" thick but they were solid fiberglass, no foam at all. He was after specific performance characteristics and if you ever saw him ride, he certainly seemed to get them! I got to watch him once at huge Rincon, 4X OH, lumpy with SouthEast winds howling, only him and Merv Larson were out. I've never seen any surfing to compare since... But that was GG as much as it was the equipment
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Strength will depend on the glass job. I typically have 3 x 6 oz glass job, though I suspect most others go much lighter. My boards get a lot of punishment, go over rocks etc. Depends the amount of glass Chris the shaper, does a great job keeping the weight down and retaining some liveliness in the board, they don't feel a dead weight or too stiff.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

bgreen wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:02 pm Strength will depend on the glass job. I typically have 3 x 6 oz glass job, though I suspect most others go much lighter. My boards get a lot of punishment, go over rocks etc. Depends the amount of glass Chris the shaper, does a great job keeping the weight down and retaining some liveliness in the board, they don't feel a dead weight or too stiff.
Not sure how to interpret 3x6oz. Do you mean 3 layers on top and 3 layers on bottom, each with rail wrap, using 6 oz cloth? S or E, any volan? Regular or epoxy resin, light or heavy PU foam or EPS?
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

rodndtube wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:50 pm Not sure how to interpret 3x6oz. Do you mean 3 layers on top and 3 layers on bottom, each with rail wrap, using 6 oz cloth? S or E, any volan? Regular or epoxy resin, light or heavy PU foam or EPS?
Yes, 3 layers top and 3 layers bottom. Rails don't have overlap so would also be 3 x 6 oz. S or E, doubt it's volan. I could ask. Regular resin. Not EPS blank. Don't know about foam weight.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

The work is still in progress, it is very long, kind of a slow torture as I can't do anything but wait :lol:
It should be finished by the end of the week, normaly.
Here is the board before the sanding process (the last part)
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (43.73 KiB) Viewed 14947 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (37.71 KiB) Viewed 14947 times
I already have a set of twin fiberglass keels that I will mount on this board.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

0e2034b302dde0b1c188c2cba51d0e761a5ae235.jpg
0e2034b302dde0b1c188c2cba51d0e761a5ae235.jpg (68 KiB) Viewed 14920 times
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

Done !
I finally got the board.
I got a good discount on the board, as the paint job was not great.
Actually it looks like an actual old board :lol:
But the rest is good and quite conform to the original model.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

20210706_191423.jpg
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Looks interesting, when is it getting into the water? You may want to play around with different fins, I'd be going smaller.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

I tested the board, but it was too flat, the waves were too small. The good thing is that kneeboarding is easy on that thing, the shortness, the flat wide surface, it helps. The board has some floatation, which I am not used to. The keels fins seem too big for small waves. Next time I will use 2 classic thruster fins that I have, so I can compare.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

New test this morning, in good clean waves.
Knee riding this board was a blast, it has the agility of a paipo, like a paipo you can take off at the last moment, but once on knee you can do fun radical things, bottom turn, cut backs, although it won't pass flat sections most of the time.
The bad part is that it doesn't seem to be such a good prone board. I tried a couple of waves prone, I felt a noticable lack of glide (comparing to my plywood finless board). Maybe it is due to the skegs. It would probably be better by removing the skegs, the rail is quite thin and should do the job without the assistance of fins (on small waves at least). Also, I didn't like that I didn't get any feeling of "drift" at the bottom turn, but again, it might be better finless.
paipo.JPG
paipo2.JPG
paipo2.JPG (67.59 KiB) Viewed 14838 times
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

The fins and narrower tail could all contribute to less planning speed. You also have some flex effect.

Having said that, a board that goes well in better waves is a good thing. You now have a quiver for different conditions..
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

zensuni wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:49 pm
kage wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:46 pm You might consider the HPD (Hawaiian Paipo Design) board. It's wide, no skeg and basically no buoyancy.
I got one from the second hand market a few years ago. Super easy to catch waves with, super easy duck dives indeed, but way too wide, I could t turn it the way I wanted to. Maybe the guitar pick shape didn t fit the waves, or my riding style. In fact, I never understood the benefit of this shape. Beautiful board though.

Bob, thanks for the advices. The shaper told me the board would be thick as a shortboard, seems good to me, not to thin, not too thick.

Regarding the shape, maybe I would go for a classic bodyboard shape, with rounded corners for safety. Not sure yet.
HPD boards (upside down guitar-pick) boards is ridden differently than other woodies. Old skool style is inside hand leverage while outside hand pull - up on the outer rails or just use your body weight to lean while grasping hold on outer rail. Old skool timers would take advantage of using these type as they "knee board" the surf breaks. HPD composite board does has buoyancy while on the surf differ from solid wood guitar-pick boards which are slightly heaver and can go "farther" than HPD.