New project... this time a Paipo

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
Vbartolomeu
Tube master
City: Azeitão
State or Province: Setúbal
Interests: Bodyboard, Mountain Bikes, Motorcycles, Aviation

New project... this time a Paipo

Unread post by Vbartolomeu »

Hello

I’m considering building a board like a paipo, but inspired on my first bodyboard’s shape, being the orange in the right side of the picture.
The board is a Atunas, unknown model, bought in 1991. The board has no slick, is badly wrinkled and lost a lot of its integrity. Nevertheless, this board gave me a lot of good times and its overall shape made it a lot of fun and maneuverable in the summer beach breaks up to a 1,5m… or maybe its my memory playing tricks on me…
So, the plan is simple, I would like to mimic the overall dimensions and shape, just rounding up some of its corners, and build it like Tom Wegener, out of an EPS foam core, with a wood bottom, cork deck and rails, and since I’m a big and heavy gentleman, I’m considering adding two plywood stringers.
To keep this build relatively simple, I’m not considering using any type of contoured bottom, but instead adding two small fins like the original Atunas board used to have.
Since it will be my first build of this type I would like to know your thoughts, comments or any tips you might have… like what’s the best type of glue, if I should glass it, etc.

Thanks and good surf

WP_20190903_20_41_12_Pro.jpg
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: New project... this time a Paipo

Unread post by rodndtube »

Hello and welcome to the paipo forums. You will receive lots of good feedback, from many different directions, but ultimately it will be your path. Finned or finless. Foam or wood. It will be endless!

One of our regulars here came from the finless bodyboarding world. Krusher74 has shared much of his path in developing a design that he is very satisfied with.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
B_Wurts
Big Wave Charger
City: Princeton
State or Province: KY
Interests: Bodyboard and kneeboard design

Unread post by B_Wurts »

If you are only going to use one wood veneer, it would give better compressive strength on the deck. With wood veneers on both deck and bottom, you might not need stringers.
If you need a cork deck skin for impact absorption and traction, you could possibly add it over the deck's wood veneer.
Vbartolomeu
Tube master

What about the glue?
I was thinking about using epoxy resin, but I'm not sure about its compatibility with EPS. I know that epoxy works fine with styrofoam (XPS), so I'm basically assuming it should work too with EPS.
I was also trying to avoid having to use a vacuum bag.
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

Unread post by OG-AZN »

Great classic bodyboard collection! The BZ and Turbo III look in excellent condition, and the Atunas is pretty rare.

Epoxy is the way to go if you're using EPS. I strongly suggest doing an equal thickness wood ply layer on top and bottom. With wood only on one side, the board will be prone to crack on the side without it. You can make your "blank" without vac bagging. Just glue your ply & eps sandwich together with epoxy and improvise something that will apply even weight and pressure until the epoxy sets. There are pics on the archived old version of this forum (probably from MrMike) of laminating things using just glue, c-clamps and 2 x 4's.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Why dont you try core foam used in boat building 5,10,20mm thickness ,easy to set channels ,rockers with heat or bending with batons and weights gets fantastic resin penetration
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

Once the board will be finished it would be interresting to compare both bodyboard and paipo behaviors in the water, considering they will have similar dimensions and shape.
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Welcome...but warning, paipo-ism is an addictive cult.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
Vbartolomeu
Tube master

OG-AZN wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:06 pm Great classic bodyboard collection! The BZ and Turbo III look in excellent condition, and the Atunas is pretty rare.
I still have another Atunas, also a board that gave me a lot of fun, but also lost some of its stiffness.
The Turbo III is in great condition and it's still my favorite board, stiff and fast, although a bit on the heavy side. I have it since I'm 18 and I will be 43 this year :)
The BZ was found near the trash bin! It's also in very good condition, but has to much rocker to my personal preference.
Vbartolomeu
Tube master

CHRISPI wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:44 pm Why dont you try core foam used in boat building 5,10,20mm thickness ,easy to set channels ,rockers with heat or bending with batons and weights gets fantastic resin penetration
When I was in the experimental aircraft building business we used to have AIREX PVC foam, which had good stiffness, low density and good resin penetration, even without vacuum. The downside is its stiffness, if you're not considering glassing all around.
I'm still searching for the right materials / building techniques to keep costs low and the wife happy...
Vbartolomeu
Tube master

nomastomas wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:38 am Welcome...but warning, paipo-ism is an addictive cult.
Thanks... I'm well aware of the addictive properties of any kind of "toy" building / assembly... I'm now in my second longboard skate, my third handplane, my third bicycle build, etc... :lol:
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Here is a recent build you might find of interest, https://www.swaylocks.com/comment/568829#comment-568829

If not, lots of other stuff there.
Ted
Big Wave Charger
City: Las Vegas
State or Province: Nevada
Interests: HPD, Austin 50", Xylem 47"

Unread post by Ted »

I've riden modern bodyboards, glass paipo boards and wooden paipo boards - they are all fun to ride. Josh at Xylem made me a nice 47" paulownia board that glides like a traditional paipo, but can carve like bodyboard.

Go for it and have fun!
Vbartolomeu
Tube master

Well... work and the pandemic are not cooperating with me so I'm still trying to find time and oportunity to source materials.

But in the meanwhile I've bought a cheap plywood skimboard, polyester resin, glassfibre and a sheet of cork, all for 35€, and started a stopgap paipo project just to keep busy and try a few things...

I'm still deciding if I will keep the round nose or if I cut it into a straight nose because I don't want to reduce the area too much. (Watch shaded areas)

Give me your opinions and I promisse to keep you updated.
Attachments
20210709_234756.jpg
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

It's not going to have much floatation. Take it out for a test before you do all the work. Cork won't add a lot of flotation. A foam core and cork may be worth considering.

The photo possibly gives a distorted view.
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Truer to the "paipo" tradition, though. Not a bad place to start the journey...
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
Vbartolomeu
Tube master

The idea is to make a more traditional kind of paipo, the cork will be there only to provide some comfort and grip and thus avoid wax.

I think this is a good way to start in the paipism, by making it very different from a traditional bodyboard. I've been bodyboarding for the last 30 years so I don't want to make it to close to a bodyboard only to conclude it's to stiff and lacks flotation... so, I have no idea of what I'm doing but I'm having fun!

What are your opinions about round Vs square noses? Are there any rule of thumb for fins placement?
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

I am not a big fan of cork, it does add a bit of floatation (not that much), but it takes days to dry. You don t need floatation on a paipo, it is just a comfort. Regarding the nose, I prefer it rounded, but it is a matter of preference.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Personally, I'd try it without fins first. If it is sealed, just see how it rides and then think about you need to add.

I like cork decks. I'm getting one onmy next board, but my board is fibreglass.
Vbartolomeu
Tube master

Hello

Just to give you a quick update, work has been slow but steady.
So far I've cut the tail to a crescent shape, glassed and polished the bottom and glued the cork deck.
Unfortunatelly the cork gluing didn't worked very well, it fell short, it has some pockets without glue, and I don't think it will last 5 minutes in the ocean... so I will glass over the cork and seal the rails.
The fins are also done, but maybe I will try it first finless and decide later.
Attachments
20210725_170012.jpg
20210725_165958.jpg