Basics.

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
Alyinsanfran
Wave slider
City: Pacifica
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing. Mountain biking. Hiking.

Basics.

Unread post by Alyinsanfran »

Aloha. I’m new to paipos, but have been surfing for 30 years. A friend shaped a couple and they intrigued me. So I’m shaping one for myself.

I haven’t touched a planer since high school, but I managed to get some ply in to a nice smooth shape. It’s ready for waterproofing.

I know I’ll be doing this again once I get the hang of it, so I’m not too worried about this one being ‘just right’. It’s more of an experiment to find out how to do it.

To that end, I have a question about the Helmsman Spar spray can I bought.

Do I spray one coat on the deck and rails, then when that layer is dry flip it to do the bottom? And when I do, am I correct in thinking it will have to be bone-dry so that I don’t damage the coat on the deck? Or if it’s just slightly tacky can I put it on a soft cloth or something to do the bottom?

Can I do a layer or two, then leave it a day and do another, or do I have to keep adding coats in one day until it’s done?

And how many coats do you think will do it?

Cheers for any pointers. I’m really looking forward to shore-break surfing.
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

Re: Basics.

Unread post by OG-AZN »

You have the right idea. I used that spray can varnish once. I did only 2 coats on each side, but I was in a rush to surf. For more lasting results, you need a few more coats. I remember the dry to the touch & recoat time for that can is pretty fast. You can spray the opposite side of the board or recoat as soon as you get to that point.

Good to see more paipo riders in the area!
Alyinsanfran
Wave slider

Cheers for that, so I guess I’ll go to maybe 4-5 coats. That’ll take me more than a day so I guess leaving it overnight between coats is fine.

Thanks again!
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

Any photos of the board so far ? :)
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Gday,

I'm no expert but don't apply a second/third coat etc until the coat you applied is completely dry. It shouldn't be tacky. Unlike applying by hand or cloth, you can't smooth out overspray so don't go heavy with spray, just nice even coats. A non-fibrecloth can be used to deal with pool.

You are not wanting a mirror finish as in an antique, but if you want a nice finish, a 220 light sand is a good idea between coats. You are wanting to take off irregularities, not remove all the previous coat. a higher grade can be used before the final coat, 1000. Make sure you remove all dust after sanding and before spraying. You could rub a spirit coated non-fibre cloth to ensure there is no dust residue.

I'd do one side at a time, so you were sure you'd done the correct number of coats per side. 4 coats would be ok.

If you just want to seal it versus do a professional looking job, your approach may vary. There are lots of videos about professional finishes.

The good thing about varnish, you can always come back and add additional coats.
Alyinsanfran
Wave slider

I finally rode the thing. Having never even ridden a boog in 30 years surfing, let alone a paipo it was interesting figuring it out. I just rode a little inside shorey after taking out my longboard.
I can see why you take off with both hands up front, and I can see why fins give that extra push. I fluffed a few before getting in to a couple, didn’t get to an open face but did get a little look in to a few closeouts.
I’ll definitely wear fins next time, I bought some really short ones that should be ok for standing in chest deep water. I really felt like I needed that extra oomph fins might give me. It was pretty fun having the shorey to myself so I could pick whatever wave I wanted.
All in all a good session to taste what this is all about.
I’m looking forward to shaping another one once I figure out what I want. I’ll probably do it in marine ply next time.

Here’s a pic, the wood was literally a shelf from Lowes and I gave it about 5 coats of Helmsman Spar.

Note the advanced nose template - taken from a lamp shade, and the gentle tail curves - taken from a coffee cup!
14A70F02-430C-4EF5-9763-716DDABE8CB9.jpeg
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo

Unread post by Nels »

Next time you are in the water try riding that backward...with the squared off end forward. Not joking. I'm assuming the rails are parallel (can't really tell from photo) but if the tail is narrower than the rounded end even better.

Didn't catch the dimensions you were working with but there are no real rights and wrongs. I've enjoyed the attitude and atmosphere of these guys in the UK lately.

https://dickpearce.com/

I've used the nose of a longboard as a template for the nose of a paipo before, trying to get rid of the hard transition from nose to tail. There aren't any rules. Scour the info on this forum and Rod's Paipo Page from examples of other projects and products that have run through the paipo world in the past 60 years.

Key thing is to have as much dumb fun as humanly possible.
Alyinsanfran
Wave slider

Yeah, cheers Nels, I reckon I appreciate that fun thing more than anything else. Making a board out of a shelf, and having a blast riding an empty section of the lineup that I’d spent a lifetime ignoring - that’s pretty neat. I’m looking forward to learning how to ride the thing and getting some micro-barrel closers.
kage
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Cruz
State or Province: CA

Unread post by kage »

Hi to Aly in san fran? Flippers flippers flippers. If you are in pacifica with the multitudes of standups I always see there, my (humble and personal) opinion is you will want the most powerful flippers you can get. That are still comfortable on your feet of course.
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

IMO About the only thing riding a finless wood paipo has in common with riding a boogie or a finned body board is the prone position.
I've been riding prone now for about 15 years. Back when I first started riding paipos exclusively full time, I'd say it took me at least six months to get to where I felt in tune. That's after nearly 40+ years of riding otherwise. As far as fins go, I am a dedicated UDT fan.
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
flojo
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura County
State or Province: california
Interests: bike riding, surfing, music

Unread post by flojo »

Hey Aly-I like the lampshade for your nose template…I used a garbage can lid for the nose template on this board.
I think I should wear a lampshade while paipo’riding.

Fins on your feet make a big difference-not just for catching waves but for controlling the paipo once you are up on a plane.

Ps:the inside sandbars in front of the Linda Mar rest area can be great fun on a paipo-

Flojo
Attachments
F6C62BA4-79D4-4D4D-A92D-CCA016FD81F3.jpeg
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

Nice board, it should work.
I strongly recommend swim fins, they will allow you to catch waves very early, like a mini mal.
Enjoy !