Help...1/4 in. Marine ply, need a plan!

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
flowbee
Forum Grommet
City: City
State or Province: CA

Help...1/4 in. Marine ply, need a plan!

Unread post by flowbee »

I am not sure where I got the idea that 1/4 in ply was the way to go, but now that I have ripped it I am committed.
I am thinking I need to laminate the two half sheets together somehow, but with what?

Also will I need to reinforce this 1/2 sheet for my 6'2" 220 lb frame with some glass?

This will be my first self shaped surfcraft. Me and a buddy would likek to make two small wave type paipos maybe 20 ish tapering to 17 ish and 48 in long?

Will laminating the sheets affect the way I ought to seal it?

Thanks fro the help and I will post some pics of finished product and action photos too. I am blessed to live in Santa Cruz where I see some very paipo friendly looking waves these days.

Best regards,

Ryan
kage
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Cruz

Re: Help...1/4 in. Marine ply, need a plan!

Unread post by kage »

Hey Flowbee!
Very glad to see another santacruzian on the board. I'm thinking Friday morning -four mile. Could be 6-8.
Anyway
I think you could laminate those two sheets with a good coat of carpenters glue, I think clamping the whole thing super flat, maybe with some 2 by's and park the car on top overnight. I think you could varnish or oil or glass, none would affect the glue. But I just wanted to get my two cents in before the actually knowledgeable guys started up. They will give you more advice than...
Anyway
I never see ANY paipo boarders here,this is good, this is good.
mrmike
Big Wave Charger
City: coronado
State or Province: ca

Unread post by mrmike »

the glue and the car sounds good to me. tilebond 2 or 3 will work fine with about 4 coats of minwax polyurethane (oilbase not that wimpy water base stuff)
Poobah
Big Wave Charger
City: Lucerne

Unread post by Poobah »

I only tried it once, and it failed for two reasons. I didn't have enough enough weight for the water-based glue...I was using rocks and large plastic tubs full of water. I was also trying to glue them in a rockered position. So the glue was an uneven thickness. I might have gotten away with it if I'd used epoxy.

It's an area ripe for experimentation. Especially if one plywood sheet overhangs the other, like at the rear for flexy corners. Or maybe you sandwich thin foam between the two sheets, like kiteboard construcion.

I can't help but wonder where this thread might have gone if you told us you only had one 1/4 inch sheet....
flowbee
Forum Grommet
City: City

Unread post by flowbee »

I am thinking of going 22 tapering to 17 and 48 long and shaping it to be multi directional narrow end can be nose or tail. It will be a half inch thick and flat with some shape happening in the rails, pretty simple though. What do you think for 6'2" 220 pound rider that may encounter some weekish peelers to more dumpy stuff too?
RNT808
Tube master
City: Makawao
State or Province: Hawaii

Unread post by RNT808 »

I made this board with some 5mm ply that I had laying around. If I remember correctly 5mm is right around .20 inch.

This board is about 48 inches long and 22 inches at the wide point. The thickness varies from .40 inches in the body of the board to just shy of 3/4 at the rails.

Overall the board rides really well, but truely shines in smallish peelers. It's super fast.
Attachments
PICT0002.JPG
PICT0005.JPG
PICT0007.JPG
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

RNT,

I can't recall if I have made the comment before but the bottom reminds me of one of John Galera's boards - while his elevated bottom channels are wider and the space between therefore narrower, the overall appearance has similarities. The outline and tail, are however quite different to John's boards.

Bob
RNT808
Tube master
City: Makawao
State or Province: Hawaii

Unread post by RNT808 »

Bob,

The similarity is no coincidence; I’ve always liked the look of Mr. Galera’s boards and studied the pictures that are included in his interview very carefully. I think the one thing that intrigued me the most was the technique he used to build the board up from various pieces.

That’s what I did with this one; I cut out two pieces with the basic outline and then two more for the pieces that I put on the bottom. I line everything up, clamped it good and installed two bamboo dowels near the tail. The dowels are put in dry so they can be removed but they really help keep things lined up during the next steps. Once everything was lined up and pegged I shaped the board and rails to pretty much the final form. And then took it all apart.

I glued it up in two stages, the top and bottom together first and after a good cure time I put on the pieces to build up the rails and form the channel. I blocked up the front during the first step so the finished board has a nice little lift in the nose. After the glue had cured all that was needed was a little touch up sanding and cleanup.

When I made this board I borrowed ideas from sources like Paul at HPD, Tom Wegener and a whole slew of others and kind of tried to put them together in one project. But for sure the whole concept for how to make it came from John Galera’s interview.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

RNT,

Many thanks for the construction details. On the old paipo forum, there is additional detail about how John builds his boards.
I'm sure he would be interested to hear about your application of his design ideas.

Regards

Bob
Ted
Big Wave Charger
City: Las Vegas
State or Province: Nevada
Interests: HPD, Austin 50", Xylem 47"

Unread post by Ted »

That looks like fun.
I like try.