My new SDF surfboard Paipo

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

My new SDF surfboard Paipo

Unread post by krusher74 »

Well here are the first photos of my new paipo, it's glassed and hot coated but not sanded yet.

My two inspirations were:

Larry Goddard (named it the rincon rocket)

Tom Wegener's Seaglass tuna which I borrowed chine rail and concave from for finless use.
Attachments
SdF paipo 023.jpg
SdF paipo 007.jpg
SdF paipo 014.jpg
SdF paipo 016.jpg
SdF paipo 002.jpg
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: My new SDF surfboard Paipo

Unread post by bgreen »

Krusher,

It will be interesting to hear how your board rides. What are the dimensions?

One of the interesting things about paipo boards, is that many guys come at it from some other background so the type of board and how it is surfed is influenced by whether they were a bodysurfer, kneeboarder, standup surfer etc.

Bob
ClanB
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
State or Province: CA
Interests: surf hunt fish chili bbq paipos, nerd rpgs lol, yup music

Unread post by ClanB »

I agree bgreen about styles.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

The dimensions are on the last photo, but if you cant read them its. 44.1/4" long 21 3/8" wide and 2 5/8" thick.

yeah as you say, guys seems to come to paipos from all angles. My background being bodyboarding I have come at it from that angle, with the curve of this board being taken off my favorite bodyboard and basically being draw out to a point instead of the blunt nose. I went swallow tail on more aesthetics than anything.

The thing I was most worried about was rails, I stole from Tom wegeners seaglass design. Tom talks about it here, I hope my board does not suffer from a lack of flex.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxjeyrIUgqY

I wonder where paipos would have gone if the vast base of people on bodyboards were having all sorts of paipos made, but then I guess a bodyboard is a paipo its head first!
Attachments
Tuna-5-3-concave-bottom (1).jpg
SdF paipo 007.jpg
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

ride report:

Will its works great, floats me fine, catchs waves easy enough, rail works (never spun out once) can release rail and 360 and get back on rail easy. Nice and fast!

happy man!
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Krusher,

Thanks for the dimensions. The 3'8 1/4" was lost on my passing attention.

Good to hear you are happy with the design. Like all boards it will be interesting to find what it's limitations are & what it does well.

Bob
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

krusher74 wrote:ride report:

Will its works great, floats me fine, catches waves easy enough, rail works (never spun out once) can release rail and 360 and get back on rail easy. Nice and fast!

happy man!
I am trying to reconcile a couple of comments you made on Swaylock's (see below) and your report above:
  • "My first impression trying to catch a wave was that it maybe pushes water a little, either that or the tail drags having 1/4" tail rocker with the deep concave also added."
  • "So very happy, Only thing I would do for the next one if try to get it to glide into waves easier, maybe less tail rocker or a better nose entry design. Any idea guys?"
  • "The bodyboard with it flex does most things better, the paipo has a higher top speed and drives through barrels faster, but you can't take a really late drop/airdrop."
Regarding the first bullet I am curious about the nose section as I have not seen any good photos showing the nose rocker, bottom contour and rail shape & transition. On my Ashton paipos the shaper too often was making tweaks that were unwanted -- the nose shape and rail transition was one of those as planning in the forward position or even mid-board it would push water forward instead of having a clean release (the desired effect on my Austin Paipo boards):
Note: This board came with these two fins since the the builder didn't have others... they are locked away in my fin storage compartment. I did try them out, in N. Oregon, but quickly caught a wave in and switched them out.
Note: This board came with these two fins since the the builder didn't have others... they are locked away in my fin storage compartment. I did try them out, in N. Oregon, but quickly caught a wave in and switched them out.
On bullet 2, tail rocker can help catching waves but also creates more drag. Seems like a contradictory statement, right? On a long board the tail rocker doesn't create as much drag... assuming we are not speaking of a banana rocker throughout the board. What happens that makes the bodyboard better than your paipo board?

Bullet 3... paipos and late drops/airdrops seem to be close to standard. There is something we are not connecting on here!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

rodndtube wrote:
krusher74 wrote:ride report:

Will its works great, floats me fine, catches waves easy enough, rail works (never spun out once) can release rail and 360 and get back on rail easy. Nice and fast!

happy man!
I am trying to reconcile a couple of comments you made on Swaylock's (see below) and your report above:
  • "My first impression trying to catch a wave was that it maybe pushes water a little, either that or the tail drags having 1/4" tail rocker with the deep concave also added."
  • "So very happy, Only thing I would do for the next one if try to get it to glide into waves easier, maybe less tail rocker or a better nose entry design. Any idea guys?"
  • "The bodyboard with it flex does most things better, the paipo has a higher top speed and drives through barrels faster, but you can't take a really late drop/airdrop."
Regarding the first bullet I am curious about the nose section as I have not seen any good photos showing the nose rocker, bottom contour and rail shape & transition. On my Ashton paipos the shaper too often was making tweaks that were unwanted -- the nose shape and rail transition was one of those as planning in the forward position or even mid-board it would push water forward instead of having a clean release (the desired effect on my Austin Paipo boards):
04gdv-bottomview-onside.jpg
On bullet 2, tail rocker can help catching waves but also creates more drag. Seems like a contradictory statement, right? On a long board the tail rocker doesn't create as much drag... assuming we are not speaking of a banana rocker throughout the board. What happens that makes the bodyboard better than your paipo board?

Bullet 3... paipos and late drops/airdrops seem to be close to standard. There is something we are not connecting on here!

So far My experiences are from only two surf sessions, so I may change my mind on some points when i get to surf it more. When i mention a bout pushing water, i'm not talking in a horrible bad way.

I find with the paipo the rigidness seems to push back at you when you paddle for a wave. with a bodyboard I push both front corners down onto the face o a hard to catch wave to manhandle myself on to it. (and when i say hard to catch wave i'm talking a wave a longboard would not get into very easily)

I dont know what happens when forcing the nose down on a bodyboard catching a wave, whether i'm keeping the board flat, forcing reverse rocker, but some how the paipo's boyancey and stiffness bounces back at me if i try to do they same.

I'm being very hard on the paipo here to try to find some areas for improvement. Its 95% there, so i;m splitting hairs really so far.

I will try to get you some better pics of it now its sanded tomorrow.

Its funny I have a "magic board" bodyboard that I love, but its got a bit torn up over the years,I had a custom bodyboard made as an exact copy. No they both turn and surf almost exactly the same, they rocker everything, both polypro cores and single stringer, but my old magic board just glides onto waves and the new copy feels like it pushes water a little. there never the same!!!

When i say late drop, i mean airdrop/unmakeable no speed falling take off.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

No doubt that the fiberglass/foam or wood paipo is a harder surface than the sponge board... not to mention some of the sharp edges or points on some of the paipos.

Regarding the hard surface several people have added a coating of rubber on part or all of the deck surface (like you see on many kneeboards and stand-up paddleboards. I keep a pair of volleyball elbow or knee pads handy for my elbows in the event they start to bruise up after several days of riding.

I find the standard bodyboard (say 40 to 42") to be floatier than my paipo board.

Suspect that part of the difference in your "perfect" bodyboard and the "less perfect" has to do with the overall board rocker, board stiffness, and/or rail pattern. Could also be a small difference in board thickness... 1/4" makes a ton of difference over a 42x23 inch surface area.

On take-offs the sponge board does provide more flex in the forward section that might aid in making the drop by pushing hard on the nose section. I sometimes do this with my rigid board and it helps to get into the wave but usually, if it is a steep and not a slopey, weak wave it is not a factor. I also use my arms, in addition to my swim fins, to catch waves.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
kage
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Cruz

Unread post by kage »

what happens when forcing the nose down on a bodyboard catching a wave, whether i'm keeping the board flat, forcing reverse rocker, but some how the paipo's boyancey and stiffness bounces back at me
I think you need to back your weight off the board a bit and push the board forward. The "bend" that was the shape of the body board should be a combination of the arm and paipo. Hard to say, but it works for me.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

kage wrote:
what happens when forcing the nose down on a bodyboard catching a wave, whether i'm keeping the board flat, forcing reverse rocker, but some how the paipo's boyancey and stiffness bounces back at me
I think you need to back your weight off the board a bit and push the board forward. The "bend" that was the shape of the body board should be a combination of the arm and paipo. Hard to say, but it works for me.
I have seen that method used,but it not for me. I dont like the fact that when you then catch the wave you ave to get yourself up forward as your taking off.

Its very hard to describe these things in the written word for me. With the forcing the nose down i;m talking about chasing waves that longboarders are struggling to catch, its a way I have found to catch a flat wave.

I will have to come up to santa cruz and we can have a surf and board swap, suwer peak at pleasures is my fav, but I also like hassling the longboarders at 38th ave. Where are your fav waves in santa cruz?
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I converted over to fiberglass paipo boards from bodyboards about a year ago. (Although I had a couple fiberglass paipo boards in the 70s.) I took me about 8 months to really master the paipo. My board is bigger than yours and has twin fins. I am about 6 feet 205 lbs. My board is 51 inches by 22 inches. One of the main differences that I have found is that on a bodyboard I would drive hard on the front of the board to get into a wave. Also I would press in hard on the forward inside rail with my elbow.to hold a line on the steeper part of a wave (Thats why most bodyboards are wider in the front.) On my paipo I let the board do more of the work. Ie I don't drive forward as much and I don't dig in the rail as much. I was peerling a lot when I first got the board. But my board has fins and they take care of the hold and also help drive through slower sections. Anyway it takes awhile to get used to them. Also without the flex I find that I have to hold my board out in front of me sometimes when on a steep drop, but my back takes beating a lot without the flex. But I will never go back. I hope that helps.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

jbw4600 wrote:I converted over to fiberglass paipo boards from bodyboards about a year ago. (Although I had a couple fiberglass paipo boards in the 70s.) I took me about 8 months to really master the paipo. My board is bigger than yours and has twin fins. I am about 6 feet 205 lbs. My board is 51 inches by 22 inches. One of the main differences that I have found is that on a bodyboard I would drive hard on the front of the board to get into a wave. Also I would press in hard on the forward inside rail with my elbow.to hold a line on the steeper part of a wave (Thats why most bodyboards are wider in the front.) On my paipo I let the board do more of the work. Ie I don't drive forward as much and I don't dig in the rail as much. I was peerling a lot when I first got the board. But my board has fins and they take care of the hold and also help drive through slower sections. Anyway it takes awhile to get used to them. Also without the flex I find that I have to hold my board out in front of me sometimes when on a steep drop, but my back takes beating a lot without the flex. But I will never go back. I hope that helps.
yeah, you have described exactly how I bodyboard also. The Curve of my paipo is copied exactly off my fave bodyboard, so still reacts well to that drive through the elbow, as you said i have to get a lot further back on steep drops on the paipo that with the bodyboard with the lack of flex.

You board sounds about the same size as mine in relation to your body weight height. Great to hear a full convert to the paipo.

The surfs looking great as a really barrely beach near me tomorrow so i will be take both boards and giving them both a equal share. ;)
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

Got in on the board again at a different break i had not surfed on it yet, 3ft and clean Aframe beach break.

The more I surf this board the more I like it, it drove through some barrels today I don't think I would have got out of on my bodyboard, finding it super easy to catch waves on now.

It's quite interesting surfing it compared to the bodyboard, I can really feel the difference in bottom shape, the bodyboard being flat and bending flat to the wave and the paipo having V and feeling like it rocks a little transitioning from rail to rail.
spudnut
Big Wave Charger
State or Province: Ca
Interests: Surfing, Kites, Yo-yo's

Unread post by spudnut »

I just realized that the dimensions of this board are very close to my latest plypo. The maneuverability is amazing given that it still has plenty of speed and hold.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

Well I managed to get some video today, I just used my camera (don't have a camcorder) its shoots in 720pHD, but the only thing is they only let you shoot 29.59 minutes any longer and they have to call it a camcorder,lol

Anyway with no tripod and the camera stuck on a rock I just got out there and tried to grab loads some waves, I was getting the first waves of the set most of the time as you would have not been able to see the ones behind as the camera was not high enough.
This is a local reef with the tide going out, I ended up being in 3 1/3 hours as it was 4/6ft clean and barreling on the way in,shame i could not have got video of that. anywho! ;)

if you select 720HD on the youtube quality and go full screen you will see it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGffj-Xr ... e=youtu.be
spudnut
Big Wave Charger
State or Province: Ca
Interests: Surfing, Kites, Yo-yo's

Unread post by spudnut »

Looks like a fun day.

P.S. Don't give the secret spot away 8-)
ClanB
Big Wave Charger
Interests: surf hunt fish chili bbq paipos, nerd rpgs lol, yup music

Unread post by ClanB »

Cool video. Waves look fun.Thanks!
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland

Unread post by OG-AZN »

That's a fun looking set up you have over there. You had it mostly to yourself too. What's the water temp there?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

OG-AZN wrote:That's a fun looking set up you have over there. You had it mostly to yourself too. What's the water temp there?
We have huge tides here, was 36ft that day (30 to 43ft range over the year) the draining out tides kill off the swell so it can be quiet at a lot of our breaks on the dropping tides. I was first in and alone for 20 mins, by a hour in there was about 15 people in, but all locals who i know so no hassle. Pity I did no get video later as it was over head and much cleaner with the tides push. (a friend got still pics) soI will try to get them up here in the future.

Its 53f in the water , air temp yesterday was 46f.

We have as well as a large tide cycle and large sea temp cycle through the year. sea temp will drop to 44/46fin the depth on winter, dec/jan/feb/march and go up to 62f in august. Which is a pain because I cycle from a 5/4/3 hood boots and gloves to a 2mm shortie and every thing in between, loads of kit to buy!.