Rails

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
Tartan Jack
Wave slider
City: Clinton
State or Province: South Carolina

Rails

Unread post by Tartan Jack »

I'm new here, but have been reading this forum off and on for several years. As an admirer of a lot of yall and your boards (esp. Mr Mike), I have decided to take the plunge and make some myself.
Presently, I am working on 6-8 designs in parallel (not ideal, but I live 3 hours from the beach and it's winter), each of a different shape. Some I've started, others are just planks. Of those, 5 are 4' long and 1 is 6' x 12" (want to try another couple 6' but can't find wood over "12 inch" and not made of sectioned wood). I have rounded and pointed noses and mostly square tails. As I am using hardware-store planks of pine and poplar or these, that kinda dictates the dimensions of the blanks (48 x 11.25 x .75, or so forth) I am planning to also try some ply ones eventually.
The shapes are primarily based on what I have seen on-line and in books of the ones in the Bishop Museum Collection, though some is "made-up" meaning adopted from stuff I've seen somewhere even if I can't remember the source. Three are presently roughed out and three more are going to be when I get warm weather. I don't have a work shop, so stuff is done on my front (covered) or back (not covered) porch . . . (The wide HATES me cutting or sanding in the den, kitchen, or a bedroom-> no idea why ;) )

Anyways, what I am having the biggest issue with the rail shapes. The pictures aren't real clear on the Bishop ones, which I'd like to emulate, as I believe the Hawaiians were experts at practical hydrodymanics.
What did those have?

What rail shapes work well and what are the pros and cons?

I am looking mainly into::
The "Hot Curl"/Boogie Board \_______/
The traditional longboard soft/egg (____________)
the sharp cornered [___________]
A rounded corner [____________]
And maybe the "blade" edge <__________>

What is the actual effect of each on a paipo?

The bottoms I am trying are flat (easiest, as is little work involved and theoretically clean), concave, and convex. I'll try a couple back-to-back and see which I like best for me.

A number of the paipo I've seen have flat bottoms and fairly [________] sides. Does that actually work well finless?

My own usage will be on the coasts of South Carolina, which are mostly short-choppy, shorebreak waves with the occasional one where you can bodysurf boardlessly. (I used to only body surf, having learned how in Kona-esp. Disappearing Sand Beach, but the waves here make that more frustrating than fun unless the conditions are just right. Anyways, I only started actually USING boards at all in the last few years and am OK with the foam/plastic ones, but would like wood ones I make myself . . .
mrmike
Big Wave Charger
City: coronado
State or Province: ca

Re: Rails

Unread post by mrmike »

For your first board I would keep the bottom flat In my opinion flat is the fastest some will disagree but it is the easiest to make . the rails I keep square 1/2 the thickness of the board so if the board is 1/2" thick the rails should be about 1/4" . take a plane and plane down on the top about 2" in untill you get to the thickness, you want go slow you can take more off but you can't but it back on. a narrow finless board with square rails will stick like glue to any wave face. hope this helps ask more? if you want sorry it took me so long I was out of town MRMIKE
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

I agree with the hard rails, Mike talked about reducing a 1/2" board to to 1/4" on the rails. He may have a different approach, but I would take some of this thickness off the bottom, not just the top (still a flat bottom but take some thickness 1.5 - 2" inches in from the rail line, as if you stood the boogie/hot curl rail drawing you did vertically. Just make if low and not too abrupt a transition.

You've lots of wood so lots of opportunity to experiment.

Bob
Tartan Jack
Wave slider

Thanks.
That was my plan.
Now . . . I need to get a hand planer . . .
I realized I don't have squat for tools. I'll get shots in the AM of the three I've roughed out the overall shape (cut outline, but I need to sand, plane, sand, then paint and varnish.
spudnut
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
State or Province: Ca
Interests: Surfing, Kites, Yo-yo's

Unread post by spudnut »

For those of you that have used 1/2" thick wood and planed the rails to 1/4", how big of a difference in hold do you notice compared to just squaring them off? What other differences are there, good or bad?
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd

Unread post by soulglider »

i've made them both ways. i dont feel any difference if i leave the rail the 1/2" thick and squared. i see a difference, its prettier but it doesnt ride any different as far as i can tell and its a hell of a lot easier. since you are making so many boards, try and leave at least one of them 1/2" thick with no taper and compare them in the water. its how YOU learn, what YOU like. have fun
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
mrmike
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by mrmike »

for tools go to a swap meet or yard sale stay away from cheep junk tools (china) a good tool will last a life time and then some I have tool my great grandad used in his day you just need to keep them sharp MRMIKE
Tartan Jack
Wave slider

Thanks a ton for the replies!

I am now the owner of a planner and have played with it a bit.
Here is the initial quiver:
http://s141.beta.photobucket.com/user/M ... And%20Surf

[Edit: can't figure out how to direct-post to this forum. What I do on other ones doesn't work here. The above link is to my photobucket account.)
mrmike
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by mrmike »

cool
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

Unread post by OG-AZN »

fwiw: My only experience is with plywood boards, and I've found the blade style rails work a lot better if you want to do spins or other bodyboard style moves. Not much difference between square and blade style for just down the line riding.

You're pretty dedicated Tartan Jack. I've made the drive from Anderson SC to the coast a few times. Quite a haul, and lots of cops along the way to slow you down.
Tartan Jack
Wave slider

It's just 3 hours from my door to Sullivan's or Isle of Palm, or 3.5 to Folly (a bit further out). That includes gas/restroom stops Not too bad . . .
As for the cops . . .
They are pretty bad, so just set it on cruise at 5-over and relax.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

I have the The "Hot Curl"/Boogie Board \_______/ rails on back half of my foam and fiberglass paipo, they have a great hold on the wave face and never slide out test up to double over head.
This is also called a chine rail,i dont think there is any need for a top chine. (And maybe the "blade" edge <__________>) this is how bodyboards actually are.