Wavejet bodyboard

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Wavejet bodyboard

Unread post by jbw4600 »

What do think? Would you use one? https://store.wavejet.com/systems/body-board-system
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Re: Wavejet bodyboard

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

I think great fun for a quadriplegic but not for me. For me a big part of the fun and draw of surfing in general is to get away from technology and civilization as much as possible. The tech and all is necessary to some extent to get there but I REALLY don't want to have it with me in the water. Plus the price tag is several hundred miles from where I live!
mrmike
Big Wave Charger
City: coronado
State or Province: ca

Unread post by mrmike »

to much crap k.i.s.s.
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland

Unread post by OG-AZN »

Yeah, it's a great thing for people with disabilities like Jess Billauer. However, for the able bodied masses, it will just be another crutch used by people of mediocre skill to try and cheat their way into waves ahead of the traditional arm paddlers and leg kickers. I wouldn't mind trying one just to see what difference it would make on a hell paddle day at OB. From what I can see, the extra weight, lack of flex, and cost in that set up would negate the theoretical advantage of an easier paddle out or take off. The longboard/sup versions hold possibilities as a fishing platform. However, motorized sup's are going to be nightmare for a lot of people who surf already over crowded spots. From what I've seen, the surfboard versions give no clear wave riding advantage to the average/above average stand up surfer. Nobody's getting jet propelled airs or riding previously un-makeable waves. Even when McNamara rides them in XXL surf, I don't see him having any clear advantage over guys who are arm paddling. Maybe one day the technology will get there. My friends and I did fantasize as kids about having superpowers or technology that would give you the speed to make the "impossible" barrel.
kfitz +
Tube master
City: Boston
State or Province: Ma.

Unread post by kfitz + »

:idea: Just my two cents, but I was thinking about the possibilities of power...new way for catching xxxl waves ?. Much too large to kick into....like the introduction of jet skies for board surfers to make speed in the take off on massive size swells. belly boards, paipos might just enter a new area of exploration. that being said, K.I.S.S. works for me also.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Yes, that is my thought also. At one place I surf it is hard to paddle into the big ones when they come thru. I miss a lot of the bigger waves (so do many other surfers). Also, at another place when the swell picks up, it often gets crowded and the shortboarders and longboarders are further outside catching all the waves, while I am on the inside waiting for all the dregs.

But I will probably never get one. It just looks intriguing.
Cuttlefish
Big Wave Charger
City: Sunshine coast
State or Province: Qld
Interests: Oceanic frolicking

Unread post by Cuttlefish »

Man,
I know that feeling.
The bottom feeding, opportunist when riding prone.
Only a rat can win the rat race.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

I have followed wave jet from the beginning, there propulsion system is sound but very expensive (in 10 years i will be 10% of that price from other companies)

There execution of putting one in a "bodyboard" is however horrible!!

just read there corporate sales spiell!!

"WaveJet Body Boards allow body boarders to be more aggressive on waves, surf bigger waves and increase their stability while body boarding."

be more aggressive, increase there stability? utter crap!!

The propulsion pod its self is 3" thick so your looking at having a 3 1/2" thick board to get one in.

If in the future if another company can produce a $500 pod unit in the 2" thick area, i would drop one in my own custom board, for occasions of getting out back in conditions that are impossible to paddle out through, and for certain breaks that have terrible rips that are unable to get back to the take of point on, but i would never use on it entertain one in normal conditions.