Asymmetrical vs Symmetrical swim fins

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Asymmetrical vs Symmetrical swim fins

Unread post by jbw4600 »

What do you guys think about asymmetrical vs asymmetrical swim fins? I am thinking about trying out some either Pods 2 (symmetrical) or Pods 3 (asymmetrical) fins. I had a pair of Redleys a long time ago. Also some Makapus. Some people say that asymmetricals torque your knees more. I am having a lot knee problems. The body boarders like them because you can use the edge to hold you on the wave. (I have a skegged board so I don't need that.)
spudnut
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
State or Province: Ca
Interests: Surfing, Kites, Yo-yo's

Re: Asymmetrical vs Symmetrical swim fins

Unread post by spudnut »

jbw4600 wrote:What do you guys think about asymmetrical vs asymmetrical swim fins?
Personally, I like symmetrical swim fins. They don't torque my ankles. My boards do not have skegs and I have no problem holding into waves. If anything, many times I pull my feet out of the water to reduce drag to gain speed if I need to make a section. Go for comfort.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

I used Churchills for a long, long time while the flexible blade was still available and until my pairs died. Then I switched to Viper V5 Orange Dots (flexi blade). I also use the Yellow Dots (stiff blade) but favor them more in warm waters and for shorter paddleouts. Lately I started using DaFin -- a slightly different kick than the Churchills and Vipers but I adjusted quickly. The DaFin is lighter and has a wider, more forgiving foot pocket than Vipers so the DaFin will definitely be my cold water fin now.

Water temps can make a huge difference in how the fin behaves in the water -- affecting the stiffness/flex in the blade. My observation is that the blade flex/stiffness and the total surface area of the blade has a larger impact on how the fin kicks than the blade shape. The Redley fin I have is very hard rubber/plastic material, stiff and has a fair amount of blade surface. The Makapuu fin is also rather stiff. If you have wide feet than the Vipers are probably not an option due to their narrow foot pockets and your living/surfing in a cold water environment.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
fishsalmon
Wave slider
City: Poquoson
State or Province: VA

Unread post by fishsalmon »

I do not like asymetrical fins but... Curchill Slashers fit my foot perfectly. I can wear them for 2-3 hours straight with no foot cramping. I wear them without socks all summer. Most comfortable fin i have tried to date. That said, the torque does bother my knees. May need to see if I can try on a pair of Rods DaFin next fall on the OBX trip
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

Churchill Slashers are the best-fitting, most comfortable fins I've ever used...alas, they have little power. The somewhat reviled regular Churchill Makapuu fins...always were comfortable on me and had significantly more power than the Slashers. Somewhere in my files I have an article or ad material - this would be back from the 1980s - that I recall claimed that the asymmetrical design they used actually was meant to take some of the stress off the ball of the foot and big toe area...possibly reducing the chance of cramping in the foot/toe area. Not sure how that design might affect the knee area. If it's easier on the feet and calves...would it not be logical that there would be less stress as you work your way up?

Nels
fishsalmon
Wave slider

definitely agree on your comments about "power". Unfortunately, I am currently trading power for comfort. Will be happy when i can find a fin that has both and fits an extra wide foot. The asymmetric design does not affect my foot at all, and i have solid ankles. That said i have torn up my knees (rugby) and I think for me it just slowly aggravates the old injuries. I find my knees are the one place i really feel it. I do not have as big a problem with symmetrical fins. Maybe that is because I get foot cramps in about one hour in anything but my Slashers, and have to take them off or stop and do not have enough time in the water to get my knees tired and sore.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

fishsalmon wrote:I do not like asymetrical fins but... Curchill Slashers fit my foot perfectly. I can wear them for 2-3 hours straight with no foot cramping. I wear them without socks all summer. Most comfortable fin i have tried to date. That said, the torque does bother my knees. May need to see if I can try on a pair of Rods DaFin next fall on the OBX trip
I've been down to Hatteras for the 2nd week in Sept for 14 straight years... but it won't be happening in 2014 :( Doing the "other" kind of traveling... I might sneak down in August for a few days.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I can go for about 4 hours in my Pro Force fins without cramping or significant discomfort. My only discomfort is soreness on my arches afterwards. I can't wear most fins because of my high arches and wide feet. But I have been wanting to use some regular bodyboard fins because Force fins drag at slow speeds and be akward when manuevring to catch a wave. I bought a pair of Da Fins and have been using them in the pool. It is amazing how much MORE effort it takes to kick with the DaFins than the Pro Force fins. I am still going work with the Da Fins some more. And then I might try some Hydro Tech fins or Pods fins. But I'll probably end up sticking with Force fins.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

I had some ProForce fins I got at a thrift shop in Tucson of all places for $2. Fit like a glove. They were amazingly comfortable and easy to kick with. Worked moderately well but lacked much of the drive/acceleration and top end speed of my Viper-7's
Atlantasurfer
Big Wave Charger
City: Atlanta
State or Province: GA
Interests: books, beer, and breaking waves

Unread post by Atlantasurfer »

Leave asymmetrical design to the hair stylists! One of my knees went through a major repair job about 15 years ago. I can't run or jog or skate ramps anymore, but I'm good to go for most outdoor activities. For the first year or so that I got into paipo surfing, my bad knee would scream later in the evening after a surf session. Just by chance I saw somewhere on the internet that symmetrical fins are easier on the knees. I ditched the Churchills, and the difference has been night and day! Something to think about if your knees have been around the block too many times.
fishsalmon
Wave slider

AtlantaSurfer,
Thank you for confirmation that it is not just my knees. My rugby injuries were 35 years ago - if that is an indication. That said what fin did you find worked for you?

Looking for any/all recommendations for a "EE" width foot.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

I have felt the knee twist from asymmetrical fins, they dont seem to have the same power as symmetrical either, asymmetrical are no better for hold i have been surfig with bodyboarders for years and never heard anyone mention hold differences.

I find mos people prefer simply the fins they own as thats what there used to, they all do the job.I would pick foot comfort and no knee problems before thinking about thrush and hold.
over 20 years and over 10 different fins pairs, my fave are the new viper MS orange dot symmetricals

http://www.msviper.com/fins