rail shape

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
stevo
Forum Grommet
City: houston
State or Province: texas

rail shape

Unread post by stevo »

I glued up a blank last nite ,,, going with Mikes recommendations for a similar size rider. gonna be 5 ft. 18 nose 14 square tail. Im 6' 220 and 53 yrs., wondering if I should do a 50/50 on the rails or what , any ideas? Going to use in slow waves and small mostly
Steve
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: rail shape

Unread post by bgreen »

Stevo,

When you mentioned Mike, I'm assuming you are talking a wood rather than foam board. If wood, go as hard as you like. The rails around the tail area could almost be square.

Bob
Poobah
Big Wave Charger
City: Lucerne
State or Province: CA

Unread post by Poobah »

For Texas...how about a full down railer, like some of those old Hynson longboards. You could always shape the rails back up some later on. We are talking about a wood board...right?
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland

Unread post by OG-AZN »

FWIW, I made a wood board (pine & redwood) of similar dimensions last year http://mypaipoboards.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=324 and put roughly 80 /20 rails on it. I attached a pic of the bottom of the board & rail. My board isn't long or floaty enough for me to do stand up rides, but it works fine for prone and knee rides. I prefer my shorter paipos where you can use your legs and (swim) fins for control and extra push more effectively than with longer boards. The style of board you're contemplating has a great traditional aesthetic, but if you're going to be using your paipo with swim fins, I'd recommend going wider in the tail and maybe a little bit shorter. To me, the combo of more width in the tail plus the ability to effectively kick w/ fins if necessary makes it easier to get through slow or flat spots in waves.
Attachments
paipo_rail.jpg
bbjork
Wave slider
City: Wells
State or Province: Maine
Interests: Fishing, body boarding, Bluegrass musician (banjo, dobro, guitar)

Unread post by bbjork »

OG-AZN wrote:FWIW, I made a wood board (pine & redwood) of similar dimensions last year http://mypaipoboards.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=324 and put roughly 80 /20 rails on it. I attached a pic of the bottom of the board & rail. My board isn't long or floaty enough for me to do stand up rides, but it works fine for prone and knee rides. I prefer my shorter paipos where you can use your legs and (swim) fins for control and extra push more effectively than with longer boards. The style of board you're contemplating has a great traditional aesthetic, but if you're going to be using your paipo with swim fins, I'd recommend going wider in the tail and maybe a little bit shorter. To me, the combo of more width in the tail plus the ability to effectively kick w/ fins if necessary makes it easier to get through slow or flat spots in waves.
How's the Pine holding up, I've priced Western Red Cedar up here in Maine, pricy at $5.50/lf?
Thanks
Use the talents you possess; The woods would be very silent indeed if no birds sang but the best.
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland

Unread post by OG-AZN »

Structurally, it's fine, but I need to seal it better. I don't use that board a lot and haven't subjected it to the heavy use/ abuse like my plywood boards. The original purpose of the board was just a party decoration. What's redwood cost these days?