Frankenboard

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
flojo
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura County
State or Province: california
Interests: bike riding, surfing, music

Frankenboard

Unread post by flojo »

Ok, I had an old 5-10 kneeboard I was going to peel and shape down to a finned paipo. Poobah kindly suggested I leave the old glass on and just cut off the nose. {great suggestion} I have done that (9inches) and also cut some of the tail off. Then I crudely attached nose and tailblocks and here it is.
Took it out for the first time today--The waves were very poor 3' closeouts but I got a little feel for it. It caught waves easily and seemed pretty fast. It turned fine, but all I could get in today was an initial turn---cutbacks were not on the menu. So it was a fun experiment --I've been riding wooden paipos for a few years and wanted to try something with floatation and fins--I think this might be a little too much floatation but I liked the feeling. I think I will get a longboard fin box and install it a little forward of and between the side fins and play around with that.

This is fun.......
Attachments
WP_20140616_002.jpg
WP_20140616_001.jpg
WP_20140611_002.jpg
WP_20140611_002.jpg
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Re: Frankenboard

Unread post by soulglider »

haha, the best use of a blast kneeboard i've ever seen!
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
Poobah
Big Wave Charger
City: Lucerne
State or Province: CA

Unread post by Poobah »

Awesome...you might try some some shallow wakeboard fins in those rear plugs. I'll dig around my garage, and see if I can find some.

You might also consider doing a desert camo finish. Two cans of spray paint, like a light tan and a chocolate brown. Leave some of the sunburnt foam for your third color. Focus your painting on areas that might benefit from the sealing effect of the paint, like shatters, pinholes, and old ding repairs. Some people like the fuzzy oversparay camo paint job. I like the crisper transitions you can get by making wavy stencils out of newspaper.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Good stuff!

A cheap way to get on a foam board and find out what works and does not for you. :D