Sandpiper and Bon-Aire SOLD

Have a paipo board for sale or looking to add to your quiver? Trade? Related equipment or accessories for sale? Include a description, price and contact info. Please post when a deal has been closed.
Poobah
Big Wave Charger
City: Lucerne
State or Province: CA

Sandpiper and Bon-Aire SOLD

Unread post by Poobah »

Here's a package deal on a vintage Bon-Aire and a Sandpiper 32 inch skimboard/bellyboard. The Bon-Aire comes with original cardboard packaging, but DOES NOT HAVE A FIN. Deck labels, edges, and handles are in good shape. Notice on the Sandpiper it still has the reamains of a sticker on the bottom, so it wasn't ridden too hard. The Bon-Aire is a little lumpy from being jumped on.
sanbontop.jpg
sandbonbox.JPG
saqndbonbot.jpg
Update: nobody seems interested in these. Maybe I'll list them on Ebay, or sell them in a shop.
Last edited by Poobah on Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Sandpiper and Bon-Aire Package Deal

Unread post by rodndtube »

Just a question -- was the Sandpiper built by the same company and precede the Bon-Aire?
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Poobah
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Poobah »

If it wasn't the same company, then it was soneone that got the old molds and machines from Bon-Aire. I always thought of the Sandpiper as a reproduction from the eighties, but I never found any official History. I once got an email from a guy that said he was a team rider for Sandpiper in the eighties...more of a demonstration team than a competition team.
Poobah
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Poobah »

Now listed on Ebay. Short auction, 4 days left, and a $98.00 starting bid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221934220542?ss ... 1555.l2649
Poobah
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Poobah »

Ebay auction ended without bidders, and the boards were relisted.
Last edited by Poobah on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

To the best of my knowledge at this time the first advertisement and announcement in a USA surfing magazine for the Skimboard by Bon-Aire (also called Bonaire), was in the July 1964 issue of Petersen's Surfing Magazine (vol. 1, no. 5). The Bonaire appeared in three locations:
  • p. 9, in a Jack's Surfboard Shop advertisement (address: Dept. A, 102 N. Main St., Huntington Beach, CA and c/o Samuel Larner, Dept. B), along with Islander Surfboards and Custom Boards by Jack's;
  • p. 41, in a Bon-Aire Skim and Belly Board advertisement (address: Dept. A, 102 N. Main St., Huntington Beach, CA, and and c/o Samuel Larner and Assoc.); and,
  • p. 50, in the "What's New" section, The Bon Aire Company, located at 102 Main Street, Huntington Beach, CA. Appearing next to it was the Belly Board by Mouse, also distributed by Samuel Larner, 102 Main Street, Huntington Beach, CA.
  • On p. 5, of the same issue, is an advertisement for Bellyboard by Mouse, same Larner and Assoc. and address, but Dept. SM-7.
  • No mention of an optional skeg in these adverts. All adverts were black and white, mostly half page adverts
The Bon-Aire was also advertised in the first edition of International Surfing Magazine (and in several subsequent issues), December 1964 (vol 1, no. 1, p. 68, the inside back cover, full page color). This advertisement notes an improvement: a snap-on skeg. The address: Bon Aire Industries, Inc., 4250 Long Beach Blvd, Long Beach, CA.

I have seen references to the Sandpiper during my surfing magazine research, but could find a reference in the database which is not exhaustive.
Bon-Aire Industries [advertisement]. (1964, December). All New Bon-Aire Skim Board. International Surfing Magazine, 1(1), 68.
Bon-Aire Industries [advertisement]. (1964, December). All New Bon-Aire Skim Board. International Surfing Magazine, 1(1), 68.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Rod,

That middle photo in the ad of course isn't a Bon-aire being surfed. It is John Waidelich riding his paipo-nui at Sunset (I think).
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:Rod,

That middle photo in the ad of course isn't a Bon-aire being surfed. It is John Waidelich riding his paipo-nui at Sunset (I think).
In the grand scheme of advertising, ha ha, no, that is not a Bon-Aire being surfed. One would expect that Don James was paid for using his photo is a series of adverts?
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.