Convex/concave bottoms etc

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Convex/concave bottoms etc

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

So as to keep the rail curve thread "pure", in case there is further comment on use of alaia bottoms with and without concave, this from Tom Wegener's site
THE SURFIE IS FOR BODY BOARDING IN MEDIUM TO SMALL SURF
It is thin so it flexes and gives you the best feeling in the wave. It is like body surfing except you go really fast. I make just one size and it is good for anyone under 95kgs. It is the most basic board for having loads of fun in the surf.
The surfie is 4’ long (121cm), 14 ½ wide (37cm), and 7/16th thick (11mm). Surfboards are traditionally measured in feet and inches
And the Malama Kai from Xylem that a few here have ridden/owned
Maximum thickness of the model varies approximately from 3/4" to 1-1/2" (Ted’s 1 ¼ Paulownia wood)
Lengths from 36"-50"
3/8" rolled (convex) bottom nose to tail
No concave on either...
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Re: Convex/concave bottoms etc

Unread post by krusher74 »

I think it depends a lot on what your trying to do on what kind of wave.

I think the surfie is more in the just flying down the line and the odd cutback to power pocket on a ankle to shoulder high wave,

If trying to surf bigger waves and do off the tops, big bottom turns and full wrap round cutbacks there design may have some drawbacks

I have tried a similar board in the uk and it was great fun, but when the right section presented itself I could not do what i knew I could on my foam and fibreglass board.

I do intent to build one with the alaia concave and V, shorter and wider that the surfie, and maybe a "fancy" tail shape and see what i can do with it :D
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Yes, may not have the hold to really hard carve turns at high speed without the concave. Interested to see/hear what you think comparing foam/glass to wood once you get to ride similar bottom configurations in each
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Yes, may not have the hold to really hard carve turns at high speed without the concave.
On another thread I wrote: "These boards plane and arc, rather than rip and tear. " These boards, in the hands of mere mortals, draw different lines.

I've been toying with the idea of a 1" board - more a surfie shape than an alaia. I ran into Tom Wegener at the Byron surf festival, and spoke about what I was thinking of. His foam boards have a lot more volume than what I have in mind.

Bob
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

This thread on Swaylock's might be of interest here, esp Ace's comments
http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/belly-o ... ard-bottom

I have never ridden a convex bottom prone board by in my stand-up experience, quite a few. Seems to me they need to very much be built for the waves they will be ridden on, more so than flat bottoms. Too deep a convex for the situation to me, felt boggy and slow, like well, drag. The right amount comes alive for carving and a through the water feeling that is pretty magical