4'2 Bellyboard

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

4'2 Bellyboard

Unread post by Pes78 »

Here's my board I shaped a couple weeks ago. It's in glassing right now shaped out of poly foam. Dims are 4'2 20 at midpoint and I think it's 21 or so at the widepoint. Widepoint about 10 inches back can't really remember. Has a concave deck the whole way through and is 2.25" thick at the stringer and 2.5" thick outside of the concave. rails are pretty thin. Bottom is vee to flat midway and a slight concave through the fins. Set up as a quad with full futures boxes. My first one I did had a single going into a double and was more of a simmons plane shape. Thanks to Soulglider for letting my try one of his boards and it changed my mind on belly in my boards. This board doesn't have belly but I think I'll do one with belly on the next one. The plane shape is very much like my Tbelly I had from Thomas just with a rounder ends. Hopefully I get it in a couple weeks and will do a ride report on it. Thanks for looking.

Paul
Attachments
0201151630a.jpg
0201151630.jpg
0130151813b.jpg
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Re: 4'2 Bellyboard

Unread post by Pes78 »

Here's a couple more with the concave deck. If you click on the image it rights itself.
Attachments
0203151941.jpg
0201151630b.jpg
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Unread post by soulglider »

looks like my pumpkin seed in plan shape, just squashed. the reversed vee in the nose will act like belly on entry, probably. nice work.
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

It's funny you say that because I feel people are influenced by what they see. And I was definitely going for something along the lines of what I borrowed from you. Where I shape at they had Daniel Thompson of Tomo surfboards there last week. And one of the questions that was asked was do you have any influences in regards to shaping. And he said he doesn't like looking at other people's stuff when it comes to his shapes. Now you have a lot of shapers doing boards similar to his but he has his stuff so dailed that those boards wouldn't surf the way his do. I will say this though I think on my next one I do it may have some concave going through the tail. That's what he calls what he does on his boards, people tend to call them channels but he looks at them as concave.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Very interesting design, it's kind of boggling my mind trying to work out the rails :|

would love to have a go on something so different from what I ride.

would be awesome to see what tomo would come up with for a paipo design, i think he father is big in surfmats :D
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Picked this up Friday night, pretty quick turn around about a week and a half. The rails are thin in the nose going about a foot back. Then they get thicker the further you go back, I wanted to keep some volume going all the way back where most of my body is. I think Tomo would do something similar to what his boards look like now, when he was here talking with us he started down this path with the Lis Fish and blending that with a shortboard. His next thing is going to be bottom contours and I would think for a Paipo he would have some sort of concave in the nose and tail. Back to my board, took it out Saturday morning in pretty weak conditions right around the low tide. It felt like high tide though, was pretty tough getting in to the weaker waves since the longboarders were get all the sets. Luckily I knew most of them and couple just told me to go in front or behind them. Board felt pretty fast for how slow the waves were, need to lift my legs up to reduce the drag from them. Almost forgot the concave deck is about a quarter inch deep and is about a foot wide and carried the length of the board. Hopefully this all makes sense.

Paul
Attachments
0220151936a.jpg
0220151936.jpg
0220151935.jpg
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

Cool, glad you liked it 8-)

Do you stay in the center of the board where the pad is when you ride?

How many Liters do you think it is?
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

All this talk about liters is making me thirsty!

P.S. There is a surfing river wave in Munich, but my board & surf gear does not travel on trips to inland Europe, in this instance Germany, Austria and Hungary.
Attachments
LitersUp.jpg
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Yep in the center is where I've been riding haven't had it out since saturday. As far as the liters go I have no idea but I'd take one those brews.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

So have had this board for about a month now. Gets into anything I want to get into. Has trouble with weaker waves but thats ok. Been riding it mostly with Rasta keels in the front boxes and I think these are the fins for the board. Got a few barrels on it which was fun but didn't make it out of them. If I was to change anything about the board I would do a couple things. Add some length and widen it a bit to reduce some leg drag and to get into waves easier. Also would get rid of the full concave deck, leave the nose alone. I think I'm hooked on twins for their speed and the type of riding i want to do. Now I'm contemplating selling my kneeboard and riding prone fulltime.

Paul
soulglider
Big Wave Charger

paul, like i always say, i wish i'd just be riding prone my whole life, the rush is way more real, but then, i wouldnt have had anything to compare it to and would have been a lot less stoked me thinks! keep that kneeboard and ride it when you start to get bored of laying down, then youll remember why you do! now that ive said that, i dont ride kneeboards anymore either because thats what screwed my knees up, maybe that was what was messing yours up?

tim
i saw you in the tomo vid, you movie star!
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Thats the thing this is the feel I've been searching for being part of the wave feeling that energy. Other than bodysurfing this the only way to go. I thought that kneeboarding would get me close but I think thats over for me now. I think it was a barrel from last week I was pulling into it and it was covering me up and there was sounds and then silence and the view I had was awesome. That one moment changed everything.
soulglider
Big Wave Charger

;)
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

Hi Paul
what kneeboard do you have for sale-- or was it just a figure of speech
remember me i'm the guy that bought your last two boards -- paipo and kneeboard
please provide measurements and pics if you got something
Dave Rigo
its all about the ride
soulglider
Big Wave Charger

IMAG0398.jpg
IMAG0397.jpg
IMAG0396.jpg
IMAG0395.jpg
i have a clean Mez Fish for sale. 5'8"x21 3/4x2 1/2 double bump quad swallow shaped by richard gomez sometime back in the 90's, i'd guess. super clean board. the nose could use a little ding repair. very little. fun and very fast board. asking $250 FIRM.

Tim Caton
san diego
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Started another board tonight. It's 4'2 x 22 x 3" with some vee in the nose going flat and then a deep double concave going through the tail. Nose is 19" wide and tail is 21" wide. This will be my summer board and will be a twin fin with plans to run it as a twin or keels. Will post up pictures tomorrow. All is left is to foil the nose and tail a bit and turn the rails and finish sand. Hopefully have it finished Saturday.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Here is the outline and bottom double concave in the tail. The contours are a bit more cleaned up and I'll post pics of the finished board. Hoping to get the board done this afternoon.
Attachments
0408151820.jpg
0408151821.jpg
0408151644.jpg
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

Pes78 wrote:Here is the outline and bottom double concave in the tail. The contours are a bit more cleaned up and I'll post pics of the finished board. Hoping to get the board done this afternoon.

Which blank did you start with?

To get the tail width i anted for my first board i ended up using the middle of a 7.2A us blank. it was glassed 4oz bottom and double 4oz top, it had a hard life but the has severely pressure dented. I'm wondering if making a small board from the center of a large blank means you end up with just the low density core foam left :oops:

what is your glassing plan?
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

krusher74 wrote:
Pes78 wrote:I'm wondering if making a small board from the center of a large blank means you end up with just the low density core foam left
Definitely. The density is universally greatest on the surface and drops as you move in towards the core.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
krusher74 wrote:
Pes78 wrote:I'm wondering if making a small board from the center of a large blank means you end up with just the low density core foam left
Definitely. The density is universally greatest on the surface and drops as you move in towards the core.
I think next time i'm going to use a "Green spot" US blank which is more dense than there standard and superlight blanks to try to get stronger core. :?