My lates Wing board

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Re: My lates Wing board

Unread post by krusher74 »

CHRISPI wrote:I worked in the heavy plant industry but I am the wrong side of 60, it left me with strong hands so I can sand all day, do you think I could sell odd ball boards like this ?
I would guess the market would be very small :( But that's not to stop you offering them for sale :D

At a guess, I say of 100% of surfers 95% are some sort of stand up rider, leaving 5% to encapsulate prone riders, 4% being bodyboarders, leaving us in the 1% being paipos (of other construction that bodyboard) mat riders and handplane/bodysurfers. And poke in there somewhere kneeboarders are waveski/surf kayaks.

I do how ever feel paipos are about to have their 15 mins of fame. :|

I do think with your fine skills you could maybe construct all sorts of custom things people might want. :D
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Thanks I am supposed to be building boats for sale, this dam board has set me back at least 2 months
Sparx45
Tube master
City: Brighton
State or Province: East Sussex

Unread post by Sparx45 »

Dunno,

I really like your work....is really innovative in my view......I reckon u could sell a few. Problem is people are always afraid of change regardless of whether something works. Send one to the UK for a test ride... :D
Wooddave
Big Wave Charger
City: Melbourne
State or Province: Florida

Unread post by Wooddave »

The finished board looks great,, I've actually seen an SR 71 in flight back when they were still supposed to be top secret,, It was LOUD to say the least..
Have you gotten it wet yet?
Your boards are unique and of high quality so I'm sure you could find people to buy them, the problem though is the amount of time that it takes to build one makes it difficult make enough profit to make a living from it.
It's the same problem I had with my custom furniture business.
Once I refine my design enough I plan on making my foils and selling them eventually as a retirement job,(just enough to cover my expenses and beer).
Too much pressure would take all of the fun out of it..
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Thanks for the encouraging response, may be Krusher can take one back to the UK after his holiday hear, one problem with my evolving builds is that almost everything has changed inside the board and its like building a prototype every time, sort of like the old Mine and the new Mine they look similar but are totally different, it all new inside. The torsion box is the key new component to contain the twisting action from the foil on its narrow seat , I need to cover expenses with a few sales or my project funds will run out. Wow you were lucky to see a SR71 flying !
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Wooddave what happened on your water test I was following on Swaylocks
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

GOPR1215.JPG
GOPR1215.JPG (102.47 KiB) Viewed 5778 times
GOPR1424.JPG
GOPR1424.JPG (83.56 KiB) Viewed 5778 times
GOPR1427.JPG
Here is the polished urethane coat, as you polish more and more defects start showing, and the love, hate relationship of a perfectionist and his project starts developing. Here is the boat project that is supposed to be making money; dreamers are hard to tie down
Wooddave
Big Wave Charger
City: Melbourne
State or Province: Florida

Unread post by Wooddave »

Hi Chris,
The water test went great except that the waves were shite.
Thigh high mush. Never the less I was able to catch them, which was a big part of what I was trying to accomplish with the new board.
Too soon to give much of a report on the quad fin arrangement other than to say it did improve tracking didn't create a lot of extra drag and when the inside rear fin flexed up it was noticeable..
The only thing that was a little off was the placement of the handles which were too far back to be practical during a ride.
I loved the pad, it was comfortable and provided lots of grip.
I haven't posted on swaylocks yet because surfersensei brought his video camera and got a few snippets of video which I'm trying to edit into something useful.
Being a perfectionist is both a blessing and a curse.
It drives you to build things to a level that other people marvel at, yet you will never be completely happy with it because all you see are ways you could have made it better.
Just try to remind yourself that you are about the only person who sees that stuff..
I have been able to contain my perfectionist impulses to work that I am actually being paid to do.
In my home projects my focus is primarily on functionality and if it happens to look good too,that's a bonus.
Good luck getting that boat finished, although it looks pretty finished to me already.
Did you build it from scratch?
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

I am turning old surf skies into sailing outrigger canoes, I make the sails and all the attachments myself, it is very echo friendly repurposing old stuff, we look forward to seeing the video,talking about deck pads one of the biggest improvments I ever made to my boards was to put soft decks on. I see most paipo boards are hard top, must be hell on prone riders elbows after a few hours !
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

GOPR1433.JPG
GOPR1433.JPG (78.02 KiB) Viewed 5750 times
GOPR1436.JPG
GOPR1436.JPG (61.19 KiB) Viewed 5750 times
The deck is looking ok? I need the hardware store to get a good blade to trim the rail cleanly, it’s a bit scary if I botch it it’s not like resin or paint you can’t fix it localy it has to all come off
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

GOPR1438.JPG
GOPR1438.JPG (82.31 KiB) Viewed 5390 times
The leash plug is in. Only for a blade and I could surf tomorrow, there is a 1.50 m 14 second swells with offshore winds tomorrow with rain so no crowds
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

CHRISPI wrote:
GOPR1438.JPG
The leash plug is in. Only for a blade and I could surf tomorrow, there is a 1.50 m 14 second swells with offshore winds tomorrow with rain so no crowds
I do run deck pads under my elbows on my board, and here in ales is a 3/2 or 5/4 wetsuit so neoprene cushion always.

I like to move around on m board a lot so i would be worried about a full deck pad being to "sticky", looks comfy though :D

Hopefully we can get out on one when I vist and get some video! Or come down to J Bay and test one! :o
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Durban surfers start moaning like the ice age has returned when the water gets to about 19c, I never thought about wet suit padding the elbows. Looks like I might need full wetsuit soon .The wife wants to move back to the UK to be near her family
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

CHRISPI wrote:Durban surfers start moaning like the ice age has returned when the water gets to about 19c, I never thought about wet suit padding the elbows. Looks like I might need full wetsuit soon .The wife wants to move back to the UK to be near her family

Its between 6.5c and 8c in my area, we wear boardshorts at 17c! :lol:
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

OMG!!!, that will be the end my surf career, flippers will go hard won’t they? Do you have booties with your flippers?, do boards get brittle at low temps like that
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Chris,

Regarding paipo markets, I think people would need to see footage of decent waves being ridden and performance advantages. Otherwise there might be some people just intrigued by the design itself who would buy one. Cost would obviously be the clincher.

I surfed Ireland a few years ago when the land temperature was 9 degrees. When it reached 13 it seemed positively warm. This was near summer, but way colder than what I'm used to in winter. Despite the cold the waves made it worthwhile.

Bob
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

The marketing of a one of board or a small production run is intriguing, and fare more complicated than building them. My Paipo Forums the first forum I have ever posted on and I am staggered at how much knowledge and people I have been introduced to in 3 mounths.Full knowledge of how the interweb works must be an invaluable Tool. I have learned lot about paipo board design and confirmed a lot by using this forum .But paipo boarding is a diver’s subject and must be difficult for the none confirmed to follow. It needs a unifying competition format like longest ride wins, All welcome. It could be done electronically between set market points so all beach conditions can be used, And may be turns that improve your position to get more distance get points? And then parameters can be set on how amazing paipo boarding is.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

CHRISPI wrote:OMG!!!, that will be the end my surf career, flippers will go hard won’t they? Do you have booties with your flippers?, do boards get brittle at low temps like that
Fin socks are better for wearing with your swim fins (flippers). Fin sox with low cut and high cut are widely available in a range of thicknesses, 1mm to 5mm. There are likely some 6mm and 7mm out there but I usually layer a 5mm with a 1mm titanium warmer.

Yes, most swim fin blades become stiffer in cold water. I use my Vipers V5 Orange Dots in cool water and the V5 Yellow Dots in warm water -- the Orange Dots simply become to flexible in warm waters. Many boogies boards are marketed for cold, cool and warm water environments.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
matt23
Big Wave Charger
City: Rumansville
State or Province: Norfolk

Unread post by matt23 »

Incredible board Crispi!!
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

GOPR1447.jpg
GOPR1447.jpg (73.15 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
GOPR1443.JPG
GOPR1443.JPG (71.97 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
GOPR1448.JPG
GOPR1448.JPG (78.85 KiB) Viewed 5328 times
Well it is done, it fought ever inch of the way, when I set the leash plug the epoxy heated more than expected and made a bulge on the hull. If asked what it is, I will say it’s a vortex generator. The HR - 72- C – HGD (Hydro Gravity Drive) is ready for its first test flight