Very latest wing board

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

Very latest wing board

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Here is my latest wing board project. It started as a cardboard toy for my grandson, and turned into an over thought and to complicated board project. I am going to mount the foil on three struts configured in a tri fin pattern two forward and one in the middle at the back it should give a strong triangular mounting, leaving the space between the board and the wing clear, I wonder how close the foil can be to the board without drag issues, I have been checking water turbine shapes and boundary layer control. The coande effect must be concederd. It is about 2/3 scale, just big enough to test as a large hand board and use up my scrap foam. It is 650mm long 250 at the tail and 330 midpoint .It is also an Airex foam experiment with corrugated layers to get lit weight thin foils.
Attachments
cardboard model for grandson
cardboard model for grandson
GOPR1490.JPG (77.97 KiB) Viewed 17693 times
GOPR1495.JPG
GOPR1495.JPG (67.59 KiB) Viewed 17693 times
GOPR1494.JPG
GOPR1494.JPG (94.19 KiB) Viewed 17693 times
GOPR1499.JPG
GOPR1499.JPG (84.32 KiB) Viewed 17693 times
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Re: Very latest wing board

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Here are the struts in place. It is very hard to decide on how close I can put the foil to the board, will the venture between the foil and the board be beneficial; it will only affect paddling I think
GOPR1505.JPG
GOPR1505.JPG (75.15 KiB) Viewed 17653 times
GOPR1506.JPG
GOPR1506.JPG (69.01 KiB) Viewed 17653 times
Wooddave
Big Wave Charger
City: Melbourne
State or Province: Florida

Unread post by Wooddave »

Hi Chrispi,
Looks like another interesting version of your wing board.
Seems like you plan to have the foil appx. 4 inches ( sorry I don't know the metric equivalent) offset from your board.
Since I never tried the foil right up next to the board I can only guess at what the differences are but,,
My first foil was about the same distance away from the board than on your current version so I can comment on how that one might go..
original foil
original foil
First thing is that there is now plenty of clearance between the foil and board so so paddling should be a little easier than with the foil right next to the board.
Other than hitting my hand on the foil (mostly because it stuck out to the side so far) paddling was easier than with no foil at all.

I had thought that my struts would act like fins to provide directional control
( I didn't even consider at the time that the foil would provide enough lift to get me and the board to clear the water).
but once you do come up out of the water any control goes away.
It seems though that with that fin on the bottom you already have enough stability built in so that shouldn't be a problem.

The other thing I'd like to mention is that if your foil extends too far past the front of the struts what might happen (and did to me on my second foil which was bolted on) is that the water pressure between the board and foil
could cause it to open up and flex downward, causing the foil to act as a scoop, trapping water between the two, which at best causes the board to stop instantly ( but not the rider lol)
And at worst causes the foil to be ripped off of the struts and lost to Davy Jones' locker forever ..
Your foil seems a great deal stiffer than mine and also buoyant so this might not be as big a factor for you..

Good luck with the new project I can't wait to see how it turns out..

Dave
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Hi Dave
Thanks for all that info, it gives me epic indecisiveness, this is my first on struts foil so I am in new territory. But I am still trying to crack that plaining on the foil plate on the wave face and as I roll into the steepening face the wing tip engages, giving low drag lift and drive. I fell the foil must be close to the board as possible. What do you think about the small size will it be testable?
Wooddave
Big Wave Charger

I think you will be happier moving the foil a little distance away from the board,,in my opinion it allows them to work somewhat independently of each other, and when the planing surface of the board is not needed it is far enough out of the way to not slow you down.. my first foil had 6 inches (152mm) of clearance,, my second had 8 (203mm). Then just to see what happened I made a strut that had 12 inches of clearance, but that allowed the water too much leverage and also moved the center of lift too far forward or back relative to my center of mass as I changed the pitch..So I am now running with the 8 inch strut and am very content with it.. I'm pretty sure Brett has also settled on that distance..

According to my conversion unit app your board is roughly 25 inches long and 12 wide at the midpoint..
That is pretty small,, it might take a little more wave to get going ,but if you can surf with no board at all you should be able to catch one on that.
obviously it won't perform the same as a normal sized board but you should be able to glean some useful information from riding it..
Or you could convince a wee person to be your test pilot..
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

GOPR1508.JPG
GOPR1508.JPG (83.45 KiB) Viewed 17606 times
One 4oz covering, Then I must decide how to tie the foil to the struts.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

GOPR1527.JPG
GOPR1527.JPG (75.55 KiB) Viewed 17567 times
GOPR1524.JPG
GOPR1524.JPG (78.05 KiB) Viewed 17567 times
The foil is glued on with epoxy and 6 oz cloth layered into the concave filets. It feels strong? I have sanded in the details .There have been few comments about this board have I exceeded the commonsense rule?
Wooddave
Big Wave Charger

The board is looking great.
Don't worry too much about not having a lot of responses. It seems like plenty of folks are checking out your progress..
A lot of people even though they want to see what you're up to, don't feel like they can add much to the conversation so they don't.
I feel that way about most of the threads on here and swaylocks. But that doesn't mean they aren't interested in your project..
Think of it more as a long term endeavor. Recording and sharing your journey and your craft..
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

Don't worry too much about not having a lot of responses
Amen. I'm one of the people who basically is at the point of "lay down - go fast" and don't much care how I achieve that. Eff or somebody put it beautifully: Lower the bar. But that doesn't mean I don't love seeing what everybody else is doing. I couldn't care less if new things work or don't work, although I hope they do. When you get to the level of design and construction like this wing board I have nothing to offer other than to say "wow" and wait for the next post.

Nels
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

I'd still like to see some photos of these boards in use................
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Uncle Grumpy wrote:I'd still like to see some photos of these boards in use................
Not rider perspective but observer POV so we can really see what it is doing. I am another reader with nada to say except "WOW!" Cool stuff, creative ferment plus obvious craftsmanship.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Chrispi,

Whether you've exceeded the bounds of common sense, who knows. I looked at one photo and struggled to work out what was what.

It's a bit like going to a conference for walkers and presenting a paper on high tech running gear. You might be creating the future of surfing or made a nice paper weight. Let's hear how it goes. If it surfs well and you have fun, go for it.

Bob
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

bgreen wrote:CIf it surfs well and you have fun, go for it.

Bob
Heck, even if it doesn't surf well! Remember the famous saying, "The best surfer is the one having the most fun." It is all about the ride, but I think the "ride through life" is the one that really counts in the end
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

GOPR1818.JPG
GOPR1818.JPG (107.65 KiB) Viewed 15935 times
GOPR1820.JPG
GOPR1820.JPG (85.04 KiB) Viewed 15935 times
GOPR1822.JPG
GOPR1822.JPG (89.84 KiB) Viewed 15935 times
Thanks for the support, but doubts do cloud my rose tinted glasses sometimes .I will plod on regardless of the commonsense rule. Here are the first three coats; there is still a white in lay to be laid out .I must admit the process of making a board and testing it is boundless fun and entertainment !
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

I can see what is going on now. Larry Goddard told me years ago that the number of variables and board possibilities can drive you mad.

Onward.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

I had a disaster with the pin stripes and pulled the tape to soon, it looks ok, I get that love hate relationship when you looked at one object at hundreds of angles for to long
Attachments
GOPR1825.JPG
GOPR1825.JPG (88.62 KiB) Viewed 15910 times
GOPR1826.JPG
GOPR1826.JPG (84.15 KiB) Viewed 15910 times
GOPR1827.JPG
GOPR1827.JPG (79.84 KiB) Viewed 15910 times
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

GOPR1828.JPG
GOPR1828.JPG (103.49 KiB) Viewed 15881 times
GOPR1842.JPG
GOPR1842.JPG (79.45 KiB) Viewed 15881 times
GOPR1835.JPG
GOPR1835.JPG (109.15 KiB) Viewed 15881 times
With 2 urethane coats, it still has to be flatted one more coat and a polish. The deck will have 6mm red foam with a matching to the paint side white inlay.What is the underside of a surf board called , hull? I have lost it!
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Creatively named the bottom
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

That it leash plug in, it’s going to be an interesting test ride. It stands out like a sour thumb it will be hard to lose .The black board has turned out to be a absolute gem, It makes small waves fun, and on larger faster stuff it has very exciting flight characteristics as it starts dancing on the wing tips down wave faces ! I am starting to get it under control it rotates nicely when on the wing tips.
Pull or push the nose and it rotates around the wing cord the duel plane allows quick angel adjustments around a tight axes package. It is hard to explain the workings of a lunatics mind
Attachments
GOPR1846.JPG
GOPR1846.JPG (86.83 KiB) Viewed 15798 times
GOPR1853.JPG
GOPR1853.JPG (92.1 KiB) Viewed 15798 times
GOPR1850.JPG
GOPR1850.JPG (78.38 KiB) Viewed 15798 times
GOPR1845.JPG
GOPR1845.JPG (91.73 KiB) Viewed 15798 times
GOPR1847.JPG
GOPR1847.JPG (78.57 KiB) Viewed 15798 times
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Looks great! I didn't realize that your red board was so small.