Paipo Surf Spots in Ventura

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
Paipotized
Wave slider
City: Ventura
State or Province: CA

Paipo Surf Spots in Ventura

Unread post by Paipotized »

All,

This is my first post so please be kind.

I am a novice bodyboarder. My wife and I are at it practically every weekend and some evenings attempting to ride a wave into the beach. The waves break evenly and very hard so there is not much opportunithy to ride the "trim" as you all say.

We recently picked up (2) Gus Acosta style Wave Arrow's made by Hypr In Hawaii....now called "Haipo Bodyboards." I have been trying to ride this board, and since switching from foam, I am pearling like crazy. I got hit with the board today pretty hard after a tumble. We also tried our new flippers today (DaFins) and to tell you the truth, I felt so awkward out there, I felt I could barely get past the break with them on.

I think it just may where we are surfing at and that I may need to move to a beginners spot. I have SUP'd at some mushy spots and I think this may be the way to go. I really want to surf a Jon Wegener wood paipo someday too.

Can anyone give me some tips to a paipo beginner, I am in Ventura County and what waves I should be looking for. Also, this may be a stupid question, but why do most riding a wood paipo ride without a leash?

Thanks All.
Last edited by Paipotized on Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paipotized
Wave slider

Re: Paipo Surf Spots in Ventura

Sorry guys, I should have known better than to ask about specific surf spots. I apologize

I would still welcome some tips
Last edited by Paipotized on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Unread post by SJB »

I have read about the Wave Arrow but never seen one so I will refrain from comment on it as a surf craft.
It does sound like you are riding at a close out beach break? Wham bam with no peaks or corner that affords an opportunity to head down the line or "trim". Where are you going out? South Ventura does not typically provide an easy wave to learn upon.
Fins are a personal preference. I like Churchills but wear fin socks.
Mushy waves are not the answer...body boarders typically need some punch to overcome body drag in the water.
I don't ride neutral buoyancy boards...but my understanding is that if they get loose they are less likely to get pulled into shore like a more floaty type board so a leash is less important.
You might try the inside at C Street...closer to the pier and less crowded although the further away from the pier the more opportunity for lines and "trim". Or perhaps beach break spot just South of Hobsons Park that some call Dumpsters.
Watch some videos and keep on trying.
kage
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Cruz

Unread post by kage »

? not to point out the obvious but there is a gathering planned - see the post right next to this. It might be an idea to come by an meet some other prone riders. A lot of us are coming from a distance most of the talk is about where we are camping and exactly when we'll arrive (exciting stuff!) but the real point of the paipopaloozas is to get together and surf and eat and drink and yap about paipos.
Paipotized
Wave slider

SJB,

Thanks. You are exactly right. I have been going to Point Mugu (Family Beach side near rocks (not real close). I have also been going to Port Hueneme. Mugu breaks are close to shore. Nothing like Mondos or anything like that.

I have been to Mondos, but not for Paipo riding. I have had a surf lesson there. I thought Mondos might be good for Paipo riding since the waves look like the waves Jon and Tom Wegener ride in their videos.

I will try C Street as you suggested. I really appreciate it.

Kage,

Thanks, I will check out the dates and see if I can get out there. It is pretty close to where I am at. I would love to see what everyone is surfing and ask questions.

Again, it is appreciated.
SJB
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by SJB »

Mondos is fine for SUPs and long boards with tons of float....not enough juice for body boarding. It is the opposite extreme to where you have been going out in South Ventura.
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Here's a couple of tips: when riding prone in beach break, or other steep-wave situations, e.g. low-tide, bigger days, etc. you need to take off at an angle, so that when you drop-in, you drop onto the face and not into the trough of the wave. Attempting to surf close-outs (when the full length of the wave breaks simultaneously) is the recipe for disaster; serious injury can happen. Look for breaks that have a peak which breaks sequentially, peeling right or left. You don't need big waves, just well-formed waves. There are several books that will help you find "surf spots" in Ventura County. Learn where they are and under what conditions they produce ride-able waves. Try to avoid the more popular breaks until you have a good knowledge of surf etiquette and have learned to control your board. Go to places that are not convenient, where you have to walk a bit, or drive around looking for a parking place. They will be less crowded. In fact, don't surf where there are a lot of shortboarders/longboarders/SUPs unless you're not afraid to bark at them when they almost run you over. Be respectful and never drop in on anyone! As a prone rider, you'll be able to catch more waves than anyone in the lineup. Sharing waves, even when you have position, goes a long way in the lineup and will help to keep the competitiveness in check. Welcome to the tribe...
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
SJB
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by SJB »

Good point about taking off at more of an angle on walled waves...gives you speed and direction combined on the drop....getting what you can out of the face before close out.... at which time turn toward shore to minimize potential pounding. Trial and error.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

I know little about Californian surfs spots so will leave that topic to others.

Surf schools promote the idea that you have some lessons and then are well on your way to surfing. The reality is different. Unless you are a natural you have to put in years in the water. Nosediving could be due to lots of factors - too far forward on the board, not angling on the take-off as suggested or just taking off too late. If you haven't developed sufficient kicking power you will be slow to get into the wave and the result will be a nose dive as you get into the wave late. The takeoff sets you up for the entire ride. Wave selection is also crucial.

Watch where others are sitting and catching waves. Then find an uncrowded spot and pay attention to what is going right and wrong.
Treat wipeouts as learning experiences. Angle to avoid going straight down and hitting your head.

I've never surfed a Wave arrow, but like all boards, they no doubt have certain conditions they go best in. I doubt they ride mush well. A wood board can be pretty forgiving to learn on, however, there will be less buoyancy so it will be harder to kick/paddle. Often you can hang onto these boards so a leash isn't really necessary. It can also be a bit difficult fitting a leash on wood boards.

Get your kick fitness up and it will help enormously. The paipo gathering that was mentioned is a fairly unique opportunity. Wish I could be there.

Bob
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

After surfing 20 years, I personally found DaFins hard to use at first ,they have very hard fin blades and don't really give you a flex feel in each kick.

However they do work fine when got used to, try long slow kicks from the hip, rather than thrashing and the ankle. I only just break the surface of the water with each kick, you don't want a thrash of white water breaking through the surface each kick. It will take time to build up new muscles to support a smooth fluid leg kick.

With a bodyboard you have a short board which to an extent to can bent, so you can pull up on the board and help stop nose diving. With the Haipo is it this?
http://www.hyprnalu.com/#!haipo-details/c1ucf

I personally think at 4.4" there is a lot of nose to handle and they are be much better suited to a shoulder high wave plus point like C street, with out the fle you are going to have to stay on the back of the board taking off to not nose dive.

If you are just getting used to having fins on i would stick to the bodyboards till you have got used to the DaFins,

learning how to kick fins, a big stiff haipo nd a mushy closing out beachies is somthing I wuld have to draw on everything i have learned in 20 years to make waves on. So dont :D make it all very hard at once
Paipotized
Wave slider

All,

I can’t thank you enough for your comments. This is exactly what I was looking for. I’ll try to comment on your questions and comments to pry a little further. It’s making much better sense now.

SJB,

I will definitely keep this board away from Mondos. The power aspect didn’t seem obvious until I watched a few more videos. I did see Dumpsters videos too. Looks kinda like Mondo waves but with much more juice as you say. I think I am going to stop by there at dawn this weekend and give it a go with my foam board and fins or at least watch and learn.

Nomastomas,

I ‘m glad you cleared a few things up. I really thought I was doing something “extra wrong.” I was in a meat grinder that was not good for bodyboarding. I will tell you at Mugu, I think it is really hard to predict which way the waves are peeling (if at all) since they are evenly breaking and coming down so fast and hard. I am definitely going to focus on spots where no one goes and look for the right types of waves. Like SJB said, I think Hobson’s is a potential spot as well. Thanks for the welcome.

Bob,

Honestly, I was thinking about a wooden board, but was a little leary. I had already ordered the wave runners. It was after this that I saw Mike R’s newscast, Jon and Tom Wegener videos, and the Original Surfboard Company Promos and thought that is exactly what I want to do. It looks like a gas. I am definitely going to either find one or build one to enjoy while I am working on getting use to the fins. I used to build bows and arrows so I think I can at least make a plywood version to ride. There are quite a few build alongs. I also emailed Mike and he has some boards to sell too. I like to watch a lot so, I think that helps me a great deal.

Krusher,

You are spot on. That is my board. My wife is a much better body boarder than I am and she did exactly what you said. 4’4 was a lot for her so she backed off the board and used it a bit more like a kick board initially and she started catching everything, I’ll be completely honest. I got hit twice with the board when I was nose diving on the thigh and it was hard. So I became a little gun shy and started anticipating too early. I'm not scared, but leary of the board at this point I am working through that so it is paramount that I get back on the board sometime. However, I do agree that it may be best to train with the fins on my foam or a wooden board to build a solid baseline before tackling all of these variables at once.

***Please keep the comments coming. Between watching videos, reading your post and getting tossed at Mugu, it is coming together. :?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Glad all the feed back has made sence/helped :D

maybe if you could video a few waves of each other and post it, we could easier see how to help.

Pity you did not find nomas before buying the haipo's could have had a locally suited board from your local shaper.
Canyon
Wave slider
City: SB

Unread post by Canyon »

If you're in ventura, the no-brainer spot is C-Street. Plenty of waves and always breaking.
John Mellor
Wave slider
City: los osos
State or Province: Ca

Unread post by John Mellor »

Here ya go....

Wait for a decent day. This is key.

On a sizeable low tide day, head for Emma Wood State Beach (aka Ventura Overhead) - there will likely be rideable waves on the inside or if you don't mind a long paddle, head for one of the outside peaks. Go for the late take-off and hold on. You are practically guaranteed a good long ride.

C-St, Hobson's, and a variety of other spots along the old coast highway may very well offer a decent venue on the right day.

Be patient - choose your day and waves. If you go out in a wind blown/closed out shore pound and try to go straight in just because it's your day off work, you are likely going to have a difficult time of it. Avoid surfers. It seems as if no matter what your skill level, prone riders - on mats, bodyboards, and paipos just don't get much respect in most line-ups.

That's my F'ing .02 anyway.