New Wood Paipo Mnia board

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

New Wood Paipo Mnia board

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Here is another one: 48" x 20" with 2 1/4" nose and 3/8" tail rocker. It has Vee or belly in the front and concave in the tail.I laminated it out of 4 layers of 1/8" luan plywood with epoxy. I'll post some pictures of the vee and concave later. I am losing my shaping room soon. So I have to work fast. I want to shape another foam board, hotwire my remaining foam and laminate another wood board.
IMG_20160809_211020288.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20160809_211045185.jpg
IMG_20160809_211013625.jpg
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Re: New Wood Paipo Mnia board

Unread post by nomastomas »

That's cool! What did you use for weight when you laminated the Luan?
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I made a male mold out of EPS foam. And the i clamped it down with a bunch of clamps. I also put some weights on it. It is more flexible than I expected. I might make another with 5 layers of 1/8" plywood. I wasn't looking when cut the sheet up for me at the lumber yard, They cut it with the grain going horizontal instead of lengthwise.
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland

Unread post by OG-AZN »

I like the flex of 1/2 " thick ply boards in the barrel, but they're too flexy in larger waves and they don't last long w/ me. I've had good luck w/ 5/8" thick epoxied ply boards. At least with the recycled cdx ply I usually use, orienting the grain horizontal rather than vertical actually works better. If you end up not liking that board, I'd like to try it. Might be perfect for me!
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Thanks Trevor. I'll make a 5/8" version also. So horizontal orientation of the grain is the best?
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland

Unread post by OG-AZN »

jbw4600 wrote:Thanks Trevor. I'll make a 5/8" version also. So horizontal orientation of the grain is the best?
At least with the C grade ply most of my boards are made of. The full size boards I made from CDX with grain oriented vertical have all come out too stiff. I have no experience with laminating 1/8" sheets into a board though. I have a board I keep in Hawaii that's made of some unknown A or B grade ply that has the grain oriented vertically. That board is magic - just the right amount of flex and it developed a subtle full length rocker on it's own.
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

There's a lot of variables with plywood.
I built this board a couple years ago out of an old sign made of half inch MDO plywood which is usually made with doug fir so it's not light but it is rather stiff.
For me this board has the perfect amount of flex.

FWIW:
Medium density overlay panel, or MDO panel, is a paintable surface made of plywood with a weather-resistant resin overlay bonded to the wood by heat and pressure. The overlay, which has at least 27% resin content, resists water, weather, wear and degradation.
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?