Swim fins/flippers

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
Cuttlefish
Big Wave Charger
City: Sunshine coast
State or Province: Qld
Interests: Oceanic frolicking

Swim fins/flippers

Unread post by Cuttlefish »

What's everyone using?
I'd like to try some Viper 7's or UDT's but would have to order them on-line as I don't know of anywhere selling them in Australia.
Currently using Pod 2's which I've found very comfortable sans booties/socks.
Would like a little more kicking power though.
Only a rat can win the rat race.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Swim fins/flippers

Unread post by rodndtube »

I am using Vipers V5 Orange and Yellow Dots, in cool water and warmer water, respectively. The Orange Dot is the flexi blade and the Yellow Dot the stiffer blade. Used Orange Dots for a number of years but noticed that they started to flex too much in warm waters (let's just say tropical waters, 73F and above). Orange Dots are used when I start putting on any kind of rubber down to about 58F to 60F, at which point they do not scale up when using 3mm of wet sox/booties (meaning that even though I move up to XL from L when using the 3mm or more of wet socks, the foot pocket does not get larger in width and height). In cold water I currently use Hydro Techs, although I would like to find a good fin without such a wide, heavy blade with all the angles (see http://mypaipoboards.org/flippers/MyHydroTechs.shtml).
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
mrmike
Big Wave Charger
City: coronado
State or Province: ca

Unread post by mrmike »

I like DaFin
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd

Unread post by soulglider »

Last edited by soulglider on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
PaipoRick
Big Wave Charger
City: City
State or Province: Your state or province

Unread post by PaipoRick »

I have some Toobs Blunts that I like. I have some fairly big/wide feet, they fit well. I had orange dots (V5 I think) and I put them on, walked to the water...then cramped up. I paddled out, hoping they'd loosen up but no. I had cramps in both legs before I made it in.
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

I've been using full size UDT's for several years. Heaps of power and plenty of rubber for modifications if needed.
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
mrmike
Big Wave Charger
City: coronado

Unread post by mrmike »

I also have a pair of kicks by dafin A little more flip to them I use them in the summer without booties smaller surf super soft on th feet
kage
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Cruz
State or Province: CA

Unread post by kage »

V7s all the time. Maybe we should have a sticky or something with our fin preferences because this comes up about one every two months.
ClanB
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
Interests: surf hunt fish chili bbq paipos, nerd rpgs lol, yup music

Unread post by ClanB »

Just found a used pair of V-7s for $35 bucks with that "anti stick film" crap that you rub off of new fins. I dont think they ever touched the ocean. Cant wait to try them out. Other than those Viper V-5 yellow dot w/ 2m fin socks.
Last edited by ClanB on Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Unread post by SJB »

Churchills with fin socks for comfort and warmth. 2mm open heel in summer.....3mm closed heel in winter.
Cuttlefish
Big Wave Charger

kage wrote:V7s all the time. Maybe we should have a sticky or something with our fin preferences because this comes up about one every two months.
Good idea.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Recommendation implemented. Please post a couple more comments on your favorite fins so I know everything is working (I don't have my admin/users guide with me!).
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland

Unread post by OG-AZN »

I've been using Viper V-5 yellow dots for the last 2 years I've gotten back into riding paipos. I agree with Rod's comments about the noticeable difference when using the yellow & orange dot fins in different climates. I find the yellow dots work well in the water temps I usually surf (mid 50's avg year round) when I'm riding a ply paipo or bodysurfing with my legs starting the kick mostly well below the surface. When riding a bodyboard or similar in cold water with legs elevated just at the surface or above, it seems that more effort is required for the down kick than I prefer. The orange dots I was using before for bodyboarding seemed more comfortable. I had the opposite experience using the yellow dots in Hawai'i the past week. Felt more comfortable on the bodyboard, but seemed to require much more kick effort on the paipo or bodysurfing. My surf time was very limited though, and there was usually a lot more fine food & alcohol digesting in my system than I'm used to.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I have been using Pro-force fins by Force fins for the last 6 years or so. I can kick for three to four hours without cramping. Regular force fins and Rip force fins don't have enough power. I have used both before switching to Pro-Force fins. I talked to the creator Bob Evans and he said that they have a great new material for their Tan Delta fins that is really snappy. I might try them out. He also said that they are probably going to lower the price soon. If you can't tolerate regular fins, these are great choice. They also have couple new models: hockey force and surf rescue. I recommend getting big enough to accomodate the comfort pad.
http://www.forcefins.com
Paipo Jim
Big Wave Charger
City: Stumptown
State or Province: Oregon Territory
Interests: Texas Hold'em poker, hiking, shooting, tomahawk hurling, axe throwing, chess.

Unread post by Paipo Jim »

Orange dot Vipers for either crappy East Coast surf or dropping in on critical reef breaks in warm water. The XL's can't be worn with booties in the PNW as they are too small.

Unmodified UDT's for the big stuff. Nothing beats full power thigh strokes for getting up to speed in order to catch long period swells.
Cuttlefish
Big Wave Charger

Are there any Aussies using Vipers and/or UDTs?
If so did you buy them in Australia or have them shipped over?
If I have to buy them from the US I may order a pair of both Viper 7 yellow dots and a pair of UDTs.
I wear a size 11-11.5 US shoe and in tropical waters (no booties required) so I'm thingking XL in both should be correct.
I know this place has both fins I'm after so if I have tohave them shipped makes more sense to buy from only one supplier.
http://www.ebodyboarding.com/Swimfins
Any advice greatly appreciated.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Jay Reale, owner/operator of ebodyboarding, is a good guy to do business with -- a bodyboarder originally from Ocean City, MD.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane

Unread post by bgreen »

Cuttlefish,

I bought yellow dot vipers at a bodyboard shop at Burleigh. Not sure if they only have 7s. http://www.burleighbodyboardshop.com.au/ You could try http://www.bodyboardshop.com/

I ordered UDTs from the US (before the Oz dollar improved). Sizing is a bit difficult. I ground them down a bit - they're heavy, but those with sturdier legs seem to enjoy them. I'm still getting used to mine. I reckon they would be great in smooth conditions at a long lined point. Wouldn't like to do the rock scramble at a place like lennox, with the long blades. In our typical
short period waves, I found the weight slowed me down having to turn around etc. In contrast, they shine when you get momentum up.

My favourite are the blue/yellow churchills. I don't like the smaller blade fins (Hydrotechs / pods).

Bob
Daryl D
Tube master
City: Rogue River
State or Province: OR

Unread post by Daryl D »

I've been using DMC Tech 2 fins for a couple of years. I have bad knees, so I need fins that don't load them, but still have power. These do. I've had people try them then buy them a couple of times. Started using them on knee boards and now paipos. They are silicone construction and very comfortable. I've heard complaints of tears, but haven't experienced that and still have my first pair. I was put on to them by another knee surfer. Now my son and most of the people we surf with use them. Also, never have left the water with cramps or leg fatigue and catch a lot of waves. http://www.aquagear.com/hydro-tech-2/
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

After 20 years and many fins, Vipers, the mikes stewart orange dot model are the best i have had.
Attachments
MS Viper.jpg