Mermaid Tails

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

Mermaid Tails

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Ever since I saw toy mermaid tails that became fashionable with kids after moves like Little Mermaid. Also monofins used by free divers. I wondered how they would work with prone board riders. The streamlined enclosed legs tapering back to the fine area, may be with a caudal keel between the heel area .Getting into the water may be a problem. The site of me hoping into the water in a pink sequined mermaid tail may be a site to see!! . Getting used to the restricted leg movement could be disconcerting at first .But it would make a very interesting experiment has it been done. Have I gone to fare past the edge again?
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: Mermaid Tails

Unread post by bgreen »

Not sure about the sequined outfit, but I may have seen a photo somewhere.

It would be hopeless on rocks and trying to enter/exit in heavy conditions. It would limit leg movement if you wanted to unweight one leg.

Have you gone past the edge, depends where the edge is. Probably, but who am I to say.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

The bodysurfing group on yahoo poked around with the monofin thing a good number of years ago. I have zero memory of what came of it. Good in pools if I recall. My guess (and it's my guess only) is that the monofins I see today and especially the "mermaid's tails" kind would have unnecessary drag due to width, on top of Bob's observations.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

The tapering profile from the trunk to the ankles is almost perfect .obviously the fin would be surf sized not the free diver size. And a step out off system like the hang glider, or Para wing systems, it would take some neural rewiring to get over the discomfort of leg movement restriction. But the improved drag model comparing a fish like taper to flailing legs is obvious??
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Step out of system would need to be designed so it remained locked on in a blender thrashing wipe out. Big fin area=lot of leverage the water will have to rip it off your feet
Wooddave
Big Wave Charger
City: Melbourne
State or Province: Florida

Unread post by Wooddave »

If you are going to build something from scratch you might consider creating a two piece design that could separate and be used when needed, and lock together when you wanted to swim like a mermaid (who doesn't want to do that lol).
my venture into hydrofoils grew out of a hand-fin design i came up with for snorkeling and diving.
This pic is my wall of fame
Attachments
DSC_0990_4422.jpg
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Wooddave wrote:If you are going to build something from scratch you might consider creating a two piece design that could separate and be used when needed, and lock together when you wanted to swim like a mermaid (who doesn't want to do that lol).
Excellent idea! Just reach down and pop a lever of some sort for entry/exit of shore pound and rocky beaches. Of course needs to be very easy, one handed operation so you can do it in the surf zone.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

For that matter you could just use a fin tether around one ankle and attach the other end around your other ankle when you get out in deeper water. Or some velcro strap. After all, you can mermaid/dolphin kick using regular fins without anything binding the two legs or fins...I used to do that doing laps in a pool with a kickboard.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

With entire working surface of fin(s) as single unit though, there is no chance of ankle rotation or loss of area from deformation. One big, slightly cupped surface maybe more thrust than 1/2 and 1/2 with split???
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

This experiment needs somebody with a swimming pool nearby a workshop .The fin on the right side of Wooddaves display looks like it mite work. It has a good mounting surface to fit shoes or foot socket .Initially the fin would need some sort of pitch adjustment to find the best angle of attack
Wooddave
Big Wave Charger
City: Melbourne
State or Province: Florida

Unread post by Wooddave »

I call that one the boomerang.
it was built as a handheld unit it is made of carbon so it is fairly stiff.
it relies on fiber direction for flex and thrust, and being hand held I was able to change the AOA as needed.( have some video of it being used in the pool I will see if it is posted anywhere and will link it here)..
It provides more thrust than you might think and also allows your body to maintain a straighter path through the water by countering the opposing force of the foot stroke..

I did use that one in an attempt to adapt it to the feet,,I used my mountain biking shoes with the clipless pedals as an attachment..
It didn't work very well mainly because the extra carbon I added to mount the pedals stiffened it too much and my ankles didn't have the same range of motion as my arms.
I have some pictures of that somewhere that I will also try to post.
You should have seen the looks on peoples faces when I tried it out in the hotel pool where we were staying, but I'm sure some of you folks have seen that look a few times yourselves lol
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

cool
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

What does it take to be obviously abnormal
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

CHRISPI wrote:What does it take to be obviously abnormal
Apologetically being yourself will very often earn you that merit badge ;)
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

A bit upsetting I did not post that
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Oooo, ya been hacked??? It does happen... Maybe it's the same Koreans or whoever hijack the Swaylocks forums every few days...
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

What must I do change my log in details I presume??!!
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Yeah, probably just change your password should do it. AND if you use that password anywhere else...change it there as well