New board

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

New board

Unread post by bgreen »

Here is a refinement of board Number5 in the Goddard inspired boards. More volume overall, more volume up front and less deck scoop. The rails are harder than the other board.

So far it's only been ridden finless, but tube rides well. I haven't ridden it in bigger waves but so far it's done what I wanted of it.
MM7-deckb.jpg
MM7-bottomb.jpg
MM7-foilV2.jpg
MM7-TailViewb.jpg
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Re: New board

Unread post by jbw4600 »

What are the dimensions? What is your height and weight?
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Board dimensions are approximate as it was cut from the same AKU template as the last 2 boards and then hand shaped.
53.75" x 21" x 1.9" . My dimensions 5'10" x 83 kg (which I think is about 183lbs).

It has more thickness throughout and hence volume than my previous 2 boards.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

How do like the deep channels? I have been afraid to go too deep with the single concaves on my boards.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

JBW,

I haven't fully tested this board, however, the last two boards on the initial posting of thread (light green board and the orange board)

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=746#p7053

have been ridden in Indonesian tubes and decent sized waves in Ireland. The concaves are part of an overall design. I've only ridden the new board finless, the others I mix it up.

From my perspective these are functional designs. Krusher has seen the orange board in action and Global Ernie, the new board.

Bob
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

looking good, very simple and sleek.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

I'd love to be able to test it in those North Atlantic gems. Any progress with the move?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

no, sales keep falling through, still moving though when i can buy.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

That's a bummer. Good luck.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

As your the guy who seems to be using both finned and non-finned the most. What are you finding from these explorations.

On the same board:

Whats are you finding are the pros and cons of riding them fin and finless?

And if you developed a new iteration of the board do you think the design would have to develop in two different directions to help finned and to help finless? :?
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Krusher,

Last week-end I surfed the board in some reasonable waves.

I had two experiences which highlighted the limits of finless surfing - one was retrievable and no big deal the other was a wipeout.

In scenario one, I caught a hollow peak, got tubed and as I came out the wave got really full. The tail slid. I regained control but the wave was over. Dealing with transition was the issue - if I'd been quicker, I could possibly have adjusted my weight, but it all happened pretty quick.

Scenario 2 was at a solid pointbreak. The board was handling some steep drops and riding well. One bigger wave had a whitewater section. It caught me as I tried to get around it. In the foam there was no resistance and it was all over. A finned board would have been able to project around the whitewater, whereas I just lost speed in it.

No fin(s) mean less drag, but also less control. If you don't mind having less control and the occasional edge loss, this board rides great finless. One day I'll ride it with fins. This style of board has concaves, wings and some hard edges. There is the risk, fins may conflict with these features. I've ridden a flat bottom, low rocker version of this board and it is great finless. While it handled steep faces and drops it wasn't a tube rider.

Fins allow for tighter arcs in turns.

Your boards are shorter, so the dynamics will be different and you'll be more in-the-wave.

It's all a trade-off. My boards can be ridden both ways. The shaper likes the idea of finless boards so makes my boards with the idea of finless & finned in mind. At this stage I don't have any new ideas/thoughts about a future direction though I liked the look of these Friar Tuck kneeboards by Peter Ware.
FriarTuck3.jpg
FriarTuck.jpg
The idea of flex in the rails also has appeal, like the Peter Berry board I posted elsewhere.

Bob
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

If your board has a hardrail I would suggest sanding it off. I tried the finless hard edge and it was very easy the loose the rail. I knocked off the hard edge to a 1/8" round over and the grip that it then produced made a night and day hold difference. I only have a hard edge on the back of my boards.

What's the hull of the friar like?