Buffalo"s Contest

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Buffalo"s Contest

Unread post by Pes78 »

http://www.surfline.com/video/surfline- ... sic_151905

Link to Buffalo's contest, paipo division starts around the 4 and a half hour mark
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Buffalo"s Contest

Unread post by rodndtube »

Thanks, Pes. Looks like it starts on day 2, 4:52 and change on the video. Think I heard the commentary say 6 heats of 6 people each.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

4:30 gets you the SUPS. Six heats of 6, I got to about head 4. It's live action so there is a bit of waiting out the lulls.
airboy808
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: HI

Unread post by airboy808 »

Yep had six heats with 6-7 people per heat. Must have been almost 40 people. New rules this year compared to 2017. In 2017, rules required Paipo class entrants to be over 50 years old and / or 250lbs. For 2018 they got rid of those rules thus the large amount of entries. Was in the Paipo class and got sixth in my heat. Lulls were Long some times and had some rippahs out there. One guy in my heat ditched his fins and stood up on his Paipo. Had one guy who made the journey from FL to be in the Buffalo contest. That is dedication to the Paipo. Overall, fun event and first surf contest entered.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a good "contest" to have fun participating in. Any idea who the guy was from Florida?
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
airboy808
Big Wave Charger

Can’t remember his name right now. Ex-dragbike guy I remembered that. Nice guy with great aloha spirit. I know he rides mainly Papa_papeo_o boards. Also shout out to Papa_papeo_o for banging out my Paipo in time for the contest. Totally appreciate it.
airboy808
Big Wave Charger

Shane D. was the name of the guy from Florida. Got his last name but don’t want to post it.
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

airboy808 wrote:Yep had six heats with 6-7 people per heat. Must have been almost 40 people. New rules this year compared to 2017. In 2017, rules required Paipo class entrants to be over 50 years old and / or 250lbs. For 2018 they got rid of those rules thus the large amount of entries. Was in the Paipo class and got sixth in my heat. Lulls were Long some times and had some rippahs out there. One guy in my heat ditched his fins and stood up on his Paipo. Had one guy who made the journey from FL to be in the Buffalo contest. That is dedication to the Paipo. Overall, fun event and first surf contest entered.
Aloha, that guy is Bunga Perkins, Hawai'i Pro Longboard Surfer. And that Florida guy is my buddy Shane D. he brought two of his Papa Paepo'o boards with him this year. Hopefully next year we get some 5'ft-8'ft surf, this year the younger gems where showing their maneuvers on some small surf but was great to see alot of wood-boarders....see you guys next year n lets have some fun....Hawaiian