Oahu

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Re: Oahu

Unread post by soulglider »

Last edited by soulglider on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Unread post by SJB »

soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Unread post by soulglider »

Last edited by soulglider on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
Paipo Jim
Big Wave Charger
City: Stumptown
State or Province: Oregon Territory
Interests: Texas Hold'em poker, hiking, shooting, tomahawk hurling, axe throwing, chess.

Unread post by Paipo Jim »

soulglider wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHA, they forgot to put Santa Barbara in there! even still, its all better than the west coast hillbilly state, 8-)
:roll: Maybe you should read the entire article:

In 1900, the Los Angeles Times defined Southern California as including "the seven counties of Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Orange, Riverside, San Diego, Ventura and Santa Barbara." In 1999, the Times added a newer county—Imperial—to that list.

Southern California is also divided into:

the Coastal Region. densely populated with more affluence than inland areas. This region includes the coastal interior valleys west of the coastal mountains with all of Orange County and portions of: San Diego County, Los Angeles County, Ventura County, Santa Barbara County, and San Luis Obispo County
A related floristic province term is the Cismontane Region on the coastal side of the Transverse and Peninsular mountain ranges, with the term "Southern California" popularly referring to this more populated and visited zone.

Channelislandsca.jpg
And I'll take a few hillbillies over zillions of wetbacks any old time. Plus in Oregon it's legal to both carry concealed weapons and to own machine guns.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Paipo Jim, I thought this was supposed to be a forum where people who have similar interests have friendly discussions about paipo/bellyboarding etc. I don't think peopIe should be hurling insults such as: "I personally consider Marin County to be in la-la land, full of people with too much money and way too little brains." at people. Having hitchhiked often to Marin County to Stinson Beach over 40 years ago (Stinson beach is one of the worst places to surf in Marin County.) doesn't make you an expert on the area. Even if you were an expert on something, doesn't mean you should insult people.

By the way, I wouldn't tell the wrong guy in Santa Cruz that he isn't a "Norcal" surfer.
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Unread post by SJB »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_California

Back to our neutral corners gentlemen. As this article suggests the area between LA and SF often has an identity crisis. Myself.....I find that Santa Barbara is far enough North of LA that the SoCal boys do not regularly come up our way to catch a wave.

How about this......I will consider myself a resident of the SOUTH Central Coast.

Now holster your pistols. :D
Paipo Jim
Big Wave Charger
Interests: Texas Hold'em poker, hiking, shooting, tomahawk hurling, axe throwing, chess.

jbw4600 wrote: By the way, I wouldn't tell the wrong guy in Santa Cruz that he isn't a "Norcal" surfer.

Marin County is infamous worldwide as a haven for rich sh*t-for-brains. Stinson and Bolinas can have really decent summer surf and can even pick up a south swell (which you would know if you new anything at all.) I prefer Drakes Estero and environs on a South and other select spots in Marin at different times but you really needed a car to get there from Berkeley when I was a freshman.

As for SC badasses, I've faced down plenty including the morons who consider Ano Nuevo to be some sort of Santa Cruz local spot. (They must not be able to read a map.)

As for my expertise on Norcal surf spots I spent over 20 years there and have probably surfed more of them than you have. Bite me.
Paipo Jim
Big Wave Charger

SJB wrote: Now holster your pistols.
You effeminate candy-asses in California aren't allowed to carry them any more which is one of the reasons I moved the fvck out.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Okay, boys... treat each other with some respect here. I know this is mostly in jest and none should take anything personal. For the most part this topic is off-topic. Back to squabbling about wood vs. foam/glass, fins vs. no fins, little vs. big, wide vs. skinny.... all of which are just an individual's opinion, good for him/her, but not another. Such are personal tastes... no right or wrong answers but sharing of personal experiences and what works for me or you. What works for me may not work for you, nor yours for mine.

Had some fun 2-3 foot waves, just a buddy from FL (Central Coastal Atlantic FL) and myself, which sure beat the alternatives. Next Tue we should get a 4 day or more swell in the 4-8 foot range. Signing off from NW Coastal PR.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

Paipo Jim wrote:
You effeminate candy-asses in California aren't allowed to carry them any more which is one of the reasons I moved the fvck out.
:roll:
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Paipo Jim wrote:
jbw4600 wrote:Being born and raised and having lived my entire life in Northern California we always considered anything Malibu or the canyons south to be Southern California. Central California ended at Monterey. Monterey and north is Northern California.
The Central Coast starts at Point Conception anything south of there is Southern California. The North Coast starts at the Golden Gate although having hitch-hiked with my bellyboard from Berkeley to Stinson Beach (and back) on several occasions in 1971 I personally consider Marin County to be in la-la land, full of people with too much money and way too little brains.

PS - Kauai is the best island. Great surf year round and not so crowded as Oahu.
PaipoJim, what kind of bellyboard were you riding back then? That was certainly pre-HPD days.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Paipo Jim
Big Wave Charger

rodndtube wrote: PaipoJim, what kind of bellyboard were you riding back then? That was certainly pre-HPD days.
36" Freeline Design round tail tri fin, almost a round pin but a little bit wider. It was sitting in the front window of Jon Mel's shop on 41st Street in Sanata Cruz and with just one look I knew I had to have it. I had just moved up from Corona Del Mar to go to school at Cal and the design seemed way more advanced than the wide tail boards that were all the rage back in Orange County (which was the center of bellyboarding on the West Coast at the time.) The outside fins were pretty vestigial but it had a nice fin box for the main skeg. I ran a deep flexible Greenough type that gave some decent snap on hard turns.