paipo 50 inch drop knee?

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger
City: Astigarraga
State or Province: Gipuzkoa

paipo 50 inch drop knee?

Unread post by asier esnal »

good morning, I am enjoying the waves with my paipos, I am very happy. but like before surfing. I'm very tempted by the idea of the drop knee. I can not do it with the designs of my paipos, they are very unstable.

I can not do a kneeboard. It's too long to take it on a motorcycle

so I've started researching the brand www.cartelboardcoshop.com. has dk models and gives the smeasures, I've done a bit of solidworks based on these data and the photos and I've taken the template

Does this make sense? it would be something like that between a dk bodyboard and a kneeboard

Have I done this before? As much as I look in the forum I can not find information, I do not know how you can call this type of boards

I'll put twinzer fins that I'm so comfortable with them
Attachments
Sin título.png
Sin título.png (40.66 KiB) Viewed 4934 times
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Re: paipo 50 inch drop knee?

Unread post by krusher74 »

In the bodyboard world most of the top DK riders just use a pretty standard 42" board, some of the legends use a 43" with the wide point set further back as the pivot point to turn it further back when on the knee than prone.

My friend who is a good Dker tried my finless paipo and really struggled to hold a rail on it. He said i was much harder than on a bodyboard.

Here is the DK master paul roaches board http://www.atlanticbodyboards.com/carte ... board.html

Dave winchester's https://www.bodyboardshop.com.au/vs-dav ... board.html

And matt lackey's https://www.bodyboardshop.com.au/nomad- ... board.html

also check out the vector fin system http://vektorsystems.com/section/bodyboarding/
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

I've been watching those bodyboards before starting to design the paipo, in the photo that I've put on the left, there is a bodyboard based on the sizes of the carter and the tail of Vector

the design of the medium is a transformation of that bodyboard to paipo but keeping the rails the same. this happens to be 44.5 and paipo-like fins, I'm not too interested in snap ... I want to carve

for the drawing of the pink paipo right, my head has completely gone. I understand what you are saying about your friend. that when not having the strength of the legs as it happens with the paipo prome, it will be very complicated to make the lever enough to turn it. very interesting idea that I had not thought

I have some Churchill Makapuu fins I am very happy with them, they adapt very well to my foot. they will serve me to go in position dk?

thank you very much
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

You have done the same as me , my best body board is 41.5. I used this as template and now have 43"paipo. (more nose)

Your tail rocker at 1" may be too much , bodyboards have 0 but can flex, I think i have 1/4" on mt paipo, your 1" will be slower but maybe better for control.

You can snap, carve or straight line any board that up to the rider.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

I have always wondered how a paipo would work as a drop knee board. Since I am not a drop kneeer myself (I tried several times on a bodyboard but I have failed so far), I would be curious to know the result of your tests. I guess the board fins will help.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

zensuni wrote:I have always wondered how a paipo would work as a drop knee board. Since I am not a drop kneeer myself (I tried several times on a bodyboard but I have failed so far), I would be curious to know the result of your tests. I guess the board fins will help.
With out fins my good bodyboarding friend could not hold a rail. tail kept sliding out.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

krusher74 wrote:
zensuni wrote:I have always wondered how a paipo would work as a drop knee board. Since I am not a drop kneeer myself (I tried several times on a bodyboard but I have failed so far), I would be curious to know the result of your tests. I guess the board fins will help.
With out fins my good bodyboarding friend could not hold a rail. tail kept sliding out.
Fins on feet i.e. flippers or fins on board?
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

If the board has fins you can even kneeboard it if big enough, although maybe the drop knee stance allows better control, I don't know
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

zensuni wrote:If the board has fins you can even kneeboard it if big enough, although maybe the drop knee stance allows better control, I don't know
People sometimes surf standup on regular bodyboards so I would imagine you could also kneeboard!

https://youtu.be/121rDxTmxdw
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
zensuni wrote:If the board has fins you can even kneeboard it if big enough, although maybe the drop knee stance allows better control, I don't know
People sometimes surf standup on regular bodyboards so I would imagine you could also kneeboard!

a great video, but I was not born with as much talent as to surf a standup bodyboard
I understand that a kneeboard has to be about the size of a surfboard. On the beach where I surf there is one and use long boards 6.x 5. ++
for a paipo would be dk. a table at 50 would be on anyone's land. of hy my doubts

Thank you so much for the comments. I have to study this topic a lot before making a board
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

GeoffreyLevens wrote:

Standup or drop knee, you still have some leverage provided by the legs/foot position on the board, that you may not have if you just kneeboard it ? I don't know. I tried to kneeboard bodyboards or finless plywood paipo sometimes, the popup part is not that hard, but avoiding side slipping seems to be quite difficult.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

zensuni wrote:
GeoffreyLevens wrote:

Standup or drop knee, you still have some leverage provided by the legs/foot position on the board, that you may not have if you just kneeboard it ? I don't know. I tried to kneeboard bodyboards or finless plywood paipo sometimes, the popup part is not that hard, but avoiding side slipping seems to be quite difficult.
I'm making a surfboard to a friend, based on the design the cast, shoft board, but he wanted a channel pronounced in the middle, that gave him direction grip, to take power and make jumps, radical gross maneuvers

this idea could be applied to the paipo dk so as not to have side slides, I do not intend to do a 360. my talent in the waves does not reach as much
Attachments
36555248_1903271329736959_8185747490495004672_n (1).jpg
36555248_1903271329736959_8185747490495004672_n (1).jpg (59.56 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Channels have some of that effect, depending a lot on how they are shaped i.e. rounded transition to the flat part of bottom of board holds, sharp edge transition releases and I don't know but may hold less than plain flat. Even on 6 foot alaia with significant channel running down the center of the board it is easy (too easy for me) to release the tail and spin the board. On a much shorter paipo the effects will be less so less hold than the 6 footer for same proportion channel
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

And don't forget Tom Wegener's Albacore

https://www.theinertia.com/surf/tom-weg ... ss-projec/
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

a quick sketch by solidworks. like this idea I do not know in what size it would work well for me, I am not a great surfer and I do not have talent, but I have a lot of fun in the water which is the most important thing

could go in a measure of 44.5 to 51 measured 1.77 cm and weight 78kg. more with wetsuits

it's a quick design, the quillan do not know where to position them ... it's just a torment of ideas
Attachments
Sin título.png
Sin título.png (92.16 KiB) Viewed 4967 times
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
krusher74 wrote:
Fins on feet i.e. flippers or fins on board?

with fins on feet and my finless paipo (standard DK) he found it impossible
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

GeoffreyLevens wrote:And don't forget Tom Wegener's Albacore

https://www.theinertia.com/surf/tom-weg ... ss-projec/
Wegeners tuns is where I stole my paipo hulls from works very well. i think it took him around 18 trys/prototypes to get it right.