The Immigrint board

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

The Immigrint board

Unread post by CHRISPI »

20190504_140610.jpg
20190504_140610.jpg
I have relocated from the surf paradise Durban to the landlocked city of York UK to be with my family, also having been uninploud for 6 years in South Africa to get a job. The urge to build boards has hit me hard, although 4 hr test sessions in 20 c water are over. I need advice on adapting to cold water. this is my first UK board the immigrant board , it’s not made from the best body board materials its all local diy stuff ,the core is two layers 6mm xps insulation board , 2 layers 6oz cloth in the middle single layer on the outside,15 mm polyethylene layers top and bottom and 5mm foam to cover with 3mm bumper strips. The idea was to have some twisting flex with great bouncy, low drag high lift wing rails .hopefully the first test session will be in Cornwall in a week’s time. This is a totally new build method to me I hope it holds together. To build with epoxy in the UK you have to use an oven I got a great idea from a YouTube thread
Attachments
20190504_140717.jpg
20190504_140658.jpg
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Re: The Immigrint board

Unread post by krusher74 »

Welcome to the cold north of England! (I grew up in Cumbria across on the other coat from you.)

There are some of the best waves in England just an hour and a half north of you in Staithes, there fickle but much better than Cornwall. and you have thurso up in Scotland. (and I'm across in Ireland if you ever want to visit)

https://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Europe/U ... e_id=69394

Cold water!!! other than good quality gear, don't get anything to fit to tight it will cut off blood flow.
If you were the sort of surfer that sat and waited for waves to come to you sitting still makes you cold, so you will find shorter sessions with plenty of paddling around to keep the blood flowing works better.

Alder makes some great suit and very good prices. https://www.aldersportswear.com/product ... 4-3-detail

The board looks very interesting. Great fab skills as always
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

The board has been tested in small weak waves at few Newquay beaches fistral north, tolcarne wedge, and crantock .Can ‘t believe how bad the crowds were, and how many surf shops there are, ten times more than my home city Durban which is considered a surf paradise, warm water good waves mild all year weather. It also astonishing the number of surf schools that are pumping an endless stream of beginner surfers into the water and it wasn’t even prime season. This board ticks all the boxes it rides small waves astonishingly well ,on bigger sets it has good speed and carry ,there was a tendency to skip across the water, I built it with a bit of flexibility may be too much. It stretches the highline on a pitching face. Good buoyancy paddles well, very comfortable easy on the elbows’, good grip no wax. Added some more pics to show the wing geometry
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

trying to download more pics
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

cant download no kids to show me how
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

You will find the northeast surf scene to be very different to Newquay
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

showing wing geometry against
20190604_185417.jpg
a flat surface
Attachments
20190604_185433.jpg
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

The board looks great !
You will get used to cold water, there is no secret, all you need is a thick wetsuit, tick gloves, thick socks and a thick hood. Gloves and socks must go inside the wetsuit, not over it.
During the winter I like to bring hot water that remains warm in a isotherm bag.
You will soon appreciate the hot coffee after session !
Regarding the crowd, this issue seems to occur in the whole europe...go in the water soon to avoid the crowd.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

Regarding the crowd, this issue seems to occur in the whole europe
Let's face it...that issue is everywhere in the known surf world. If anybody figures out the solution, or a good work-around, please post.

Board looks interesting...
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Thanks for the advice. I was surprised at how few beginners try prone boards. In Newque, during the week I was there, I saw maybe 5 body boards compared to hundreds of stand ups. It’s surly easier to get into good waves sooner riding prone? Wetsuits, what’s the vote on rear zip or front pull over. I tried rear zip but a lot of water got in duck diving. In the beginning I had a panic situation trying to get out without help, but the more I used it the easier it got. Still haven’t decided on what to get but with a second board on the way I need to get in the water.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

zensuni wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:24 am go in the water soon to avoid the crowd.
I meant "early" ;)
Another "trick" to avoid crowd is to surf...at the wrong tide time. Some spots work only at high tides, but if you go a few hours before the right time you may get some nice waves here and there, and they will be for your exclusive benefit.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

CHRISPI wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:42 am Thanks for the advice. I was surprised at how few beginners try prone boards. In Newque, during the week I was there, I saw maybe 5 body boards compared to hundreds of stand ups. It’s surly easier to get into good waves sooner riding prone? Wetsuits, what’s the vote on rear zip or front pull over. I tried rear zip but a lot of water got in duck diving. In the beginning I had a panic situation trying to get out without help, but the more I used it the easier it got. Still haven’t decided on what to get but with a second board on the way I need to get in the water.
Modern times and social media have killed of prone riding for all but those interested in traveling the road less traveled.

In the general media, bodyboarding is never portrayed as anything other than something you use without fins to jump from the sand onto white water and, "if you're a real surfer" you stand up.

I feel thousands of beachgoers with little physical strength could be riding waves on a boogle board instead of falling off a foam stand up 3 times ina hour and never riding a wave in their life.

I personally hate back zips, they scrunch up again the back of your neck the whole time and don't seal as well, but some struggle to get into a chest zip suit. The only good option back zip suit is the o'neill zen back zip.

If you don't fit into the generic sizes of wetsuits then i would highly recommend a custom, My friend owns nolimit wetsuits wales where you could get a made to measure. http://nolimitwetsuits.co.uk/
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

It was years ago so likely better design/materials now, but I had a no zip pull over (3mil, 5 mil) and though it was super warm and comfortable in the water, it was truly a bee-atch to get off over my head. I can remember two times when tired after a long go out that I just couldn't. Once in near panic mode, I heard someone nearby so asked for "HALP!!!!". The other time ended up driving home with it on and managed to get it off in the shower with the help of warm water making it more elastic.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo

Unread post by Nels »

Modern times and social media have killed of prone riding for all but those interested in traveling the road less traveled.

In the general media, bodyboarding is never portrayed as anything other than something you use without fins to jump from the sand onto white water and, "if you're a real surfer" you stand up.

I feel thousands of beachgoers with little physical strength could be riding waves on a boogle board instead of falling off a foam stand up 3 times ina hour and never riding a wave in their life.
Ultimately this mess comes about because the majority of people are doing it for reasons other than having fun.

Oceanic fun, thrills, adventure vs. checking off a box on the bucket list, an excuse to go shopping, some opportunity to go pro or make money... :roll:

Nels
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

If you aren't flexible in the shoulders or have had shoulder injury, a back zip is way easier.
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

bgreen wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:57 pm If you aren't flexible in the shoulders or have had shoulder injury, a back zip is way easier.
Yup.
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

I'm working in a surfshop in ireland now, could do you a good price on one of these come later in the season when they restock

https://www.oneill.com/gb/en/psychofrea ... BL-XS.html
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Wetsuits can be like swim fins, see how it fits on you. O'Neil wetsuits have consistently fit me (whether I was skinnier or plumper) but Rip Curls were just the opposite (constricting my range of motion). Try before buy.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

rodndtube wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:43 pm Wetsuits can be like swim fins, see how it fits on you. O'Neil wetsuits have consistently fit me (whether I was skinnier or plumper) but Rip Curls were just the opposite (constricting my range of motion). Try before buy.
O'Neill seems to be the only wetsuit brand that has exclusive technology, I have never seen their techno butter neoprene or firewall insulation on any other suits, Whereas pretty much all the other brands look like they pick from the same neoprene stock list.

and here is their size chart https://www.wetsuitmegastore.com/wetsui ... chart.html
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Thanks for the fantastic response, only problem it’s getting harder to decide .Back zip must be the way for me, my arms don’t rotate well. I presume a 5/4 for north east of the UK .