"swimming board" elva fin swim

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

"swimming board" elva fin swim

Unread post by zensuni »

Hi there,

I guess we are all more of less on a lockdown, wether we live in France, in UK or in California.
I have been home working for one month, no surf or any other beach activities allowed, of course during this period surf conditions were great... :D well that is life :x plus this is not really the biggest problem we have.
Whatever, I noticed this weird product sold on a french website.
It is produced by a french guy, it is described as a swimming board, to cruise around in the ocean. They say it works better with long diving fins.
The inventor compares it to a prone version of the stand up paddle.
To me, this thing really looks like a very very floaty paipo, so I wonder how it would work in small waves.
Well, just wanted to share this fun discovery :)
https://www.loisirs3000.fr/planche-de-n ... range.html
finboard.jpg
finboard.jpg (208.25 KiB) Viewed 4991 times
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: "swimming board" elva fin swim

Unread post by rodndtube »

Interesting. Lots of float!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

That's a very complicated expensive design to not even have a thought for waves. I always wonder how many of these things ever sell.

As far as surfing, i'st forcing you to be very far back with that much volume in front of your I think will make it very hard to surf. I could get a bodyboard to paddle around on and also surf well for 60euro.

I always joke with friends i am going to invent lie down paddle boarding, guess i got beaten to it,
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

krusher74 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:52 am That's a very complicated expensive design to not even have a thought for waves. I always wonder how many of these things ever sell.

As far as surfing, i'st forcing you to be very far back with that much volume in front of your I think will make it very hard to surf. I could get a bodyboard to paddle around on and also surf well for 60euro.

I always joke with friends i am going to invent lie down paddle boarding, guess i got beaten to it,
Well, it is actually designed to cruise around efficiently for a long time, for this purpose with its 50 liters volume and its ergonomical deck it should be more efficient than a bodyboard, even a big one.
For surfing, I don't know, I will give it a try, for fun. I agree that the position is too far back but I guess it is possible for the rider to move temporarily forward on the board, the time of the wave. But yeah I'm sure it doesn't work as good as a bodyboard.
But let's say the conditions are very small, it is a nice sunny afternoon with the family at the beach, with this board you can just cruise around for a while (like you would on a stand up paddle) and why not catch a few micro waves on the way back.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

I just realized, there are similarities between this board and the patent sought by Georges Hennebutte:
http://home.brisnet.com.au/~bgreen/Europe/france.shtml
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

That Elva board looks like just the ticket for a river run.
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

zensuni wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:44 am
krusher74 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:52 am That's a very complicated expensive design to not even have a thought for waves. I always wonder how many of these things ever sell.

Well, it is actually designed to cruise around efficiently for a long time, for this purpose with its 50 liters volume and its ergonomical deck it should be more efficient than a bodyboard, even a big one.
For surfing, I don't know, I will give it a try, for fun. I agree that the position is too far back but I guess it is possible for the rider to move temporarily forward on the board, the time of the wave. But yeah I'm sure it doesn't work as good as a bodyboard.
But let's say the conditions are very small, it is a nice sunny afternoon with the family at the beach, with this board you can just cruise around for a while (like you would on a stand up paddle) and why not catch a few micro waves on the way back.
You bought one?
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

cool spaceship.......lots of flotation..
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

I tried the board in small waves, of course it worked terrible :lol:
It paddles great (cause that's what it's been designed for),very buoyant, very stable.
But to my surprise, catching waves with it was quite difficult.
Once on the wave, there is no rail to engage except a little part on the back (the bottom front part looks like a boat bow), so one have to lean forward a lot to make it turn. It felt weird, and I wouldn't try it on bigger waves.

But then I tried the board for what it is made for, which is just paddling around.
I tried it on the meditteranean sea, and on lakes. I was wearing long diving swim fins, better than boogy board fins for cruising. Well, it is not as fun as surfing, but it is still nice. Not as fast as a kayak or a SUP, but it is very easy to carry, and it still works when there is a strong wind (very little wind surface area).

I guess it would be great for a ride in the river too.
All in all, I admit it is a weird purchase ;)
But it is definitly a fun board to bring with you if you go to vacations by a lake with your family.