Vintage Paipo Trophies

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
Poobah
Big Wave Charger
City: Lucerne
State or Province: CA

Vintage Paipo Trophies

Unread post by Poobah »

I got a request from Bob and Rod for some old Ebay photo grabs, and here they are:
nspaipo.jpg
nspaipo.jpg (22.18 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
nspaipoB.jpg
nspaipoB.jpg (45.92 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
These old trophies can be important Historical footprints that lead us to more info. If you have an old trophy, or know someone that has one, then please share it with us. It gives us names of clubs and people to research. Rough dates to search in old newspapers and newsletters, etc.

Note...text from an old post: One of the other trophies was from September 1981. Third place in Open Paipo for Craig Matthew at the Ninth Annual Makapu'u Bodysurfing Classic.

Ninth Annual? Maybe 1972 was the last year they did the North Shore...they moved to Makapu'u in 1973?

Somewhat related...does anybody know the History of using bowls as trophies in Hawaii?
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: Vintage Paipo Trophies

Unread post by bgreen »

Poobah,

Many thanks. I'm in touch with Craig and soon hope to have interviews with some of these guys.

Bob
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland

Unread post by OG-AZN »

I remember the guy whose name is on the koa bowl as a really good bodysurfer. Koa bowls were pretty common trophies at surf contests in Hawai'i when I was growing up, at least up to the mid-80's when koa wood became too expensive & scarce. I don't know how far back the tradition goes. I have a bowl from that contest in the 80's, but at that time they just handed out the trophies right there on the beach, so you didn't get your name engraved on it.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

OG-AZN,

Can you post a couple of photos of your trophy? Do you recall (a) the specific year of the contest, (b) the location and (c) the placegetters?

Regards

Bob
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland

Unread post by OG-AZN »

I don't have any photos. The bowl is stored away somewhere at my parents' house (I hope). It was from the Makapu'u Bodysurfing Classic around '83; boys bodysurfing division. I don't know have a list of the finalists. I remember the top prize for the paipo division was an HPD board, and I think you could have competed with either a traditional paipo or a bodyboard.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Hello Og-Azn,

Thanks. Interesting paipos and boogies competed against each other. Not sure this has happened anywhere else.

Regards

Bob