paint on wax

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
ClanB
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
State or Province: CA
Interests: surf hunt fish chili bbq paipos, nerd rpgs lol, yup music

paint on wax

Unread post by ClanB »

I did a quick hack job on an old paipo to convert the round tail into a swallow. I removed wax on the edges with a wax comb and did some cutting. I painted the edges but ended up having quite a bit of over spray. now the middle of the waxed board has a layer of black paint on it. when the board dryes Id like to remove the painted wax. Any ideas of how to go about that?
Poobah
Big Wave Charger
City: Lucerne
State or Province: CA

Re: paint on wax

Unread post by Poobah »

So I take it that you don't want to scrape it off, or lend the board to a guy with a really hairy chest?

Back in the really old days, we'd dewax our boards at the beach. We'd sprinkle a thin layer of sand on the deck, and wait for it to get hot. Then rub off the mess with our fingers. Then throw all the mess into a trash can or fire pit. You could get wax out of pressure dings that you wouldn't touch with a scraper. The old timers would usually give us crap about it. One guy threatened to kick both our asses if we didn't lay our boards across the fire pit when we were making a mess.

It seems like there should be something clever you could do at home. How about you cover the deck with newspaper, then lay a dark plastic trash bag on top to heat things up. Will the nasty wax stick on the newspaper? When the waxy newspaper cools down, you can roll or wad it up so it can be used as kindling for a beach fire...depending on local regulations.