Introduce yourself

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Re: Introduce yourself

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

Aloha Paipo Riders,

My name is Jarrett K. Liu from Kaimuki,O`ahu. I've been riding multiple sizes of paipo (Papa Paepo`o) boards around Hawaii`i. Now I'm shaping my own style and shapes for my bodysurfing buddies and others who love to have there very own Paipo (Papa Paepo`o).My boards are made from mahogany wood with variable sizes that has nose rocker with a nose-contour. Boards height ranges from 32"- 50"inches, variable ranges in width 17"nose, mid 21", tail 19" . I just add or minus 2"inches of board per board design. Every boards has its own top deck (pattern) and the bottom deck had Hawaiian Prints (100% cotton material) that is laid under a 6oz. S-cloth on the bottom and 6oz. S-cloth for the top deck. Epoxy resin is used. These boards are finless and rides in "HIGH" surf meaning Makaha surf of 6'-8'ft surf to east-side 3'-4'ft. with no problem. Bottom tail does not whip-out while making the bottom turn, boards has a slight weight to give the rider a forward motion of getting the board down quicker on the face (drops). Boards are capable of riding with the riders control because of it's narrow midway to tail.
These are my style and boards......
Hawaiian Papa Paepo`o Board (Paipo)
Hawaiian Papa Paepo`o Board (Paipo)
IMG_1250.JPG
Three boards under construction.
Three boards under construction.
IMG_2247.JPG
board made for my father passing of July31,2014. It has a rigid rails, 3'-5'ft surf will give an epic ride and maneuvers capability.
board made for my father passing of July31,2014. It has a rigid rails, 3'-5'ft surf will give an epic ride and maneuvers capability.
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Unread post by soulglider »

nice boards, many styles many waves!
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
mrmike
Big Wave Charger
City: coronado

Unread post by mrmike »

this is mrmike got back on after two computer later
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

mrmike wrote:this is mrmike got back on after two computer later
Welcome back, Mr Mike, from your journey in the computer wilderness.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
mrmike
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by mrmike »

amend. I will post some new pic's when the rain stops and I can get out and take some pic's sold most of my old boards this summer made about ten more
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

MrMike,

Hope all is ok besides the computer. I look forward to hearing more about your new boards and what's going on.

Bob
mrmike
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by mrmike »

I am fine I just had two computers in less than year have strokes. you know what they say in china 1 out of 5 is not bad.
Gorillasurfer
Tube master
City: Anaheim
State or Province: CA
Interests: wave riding, hiking, sewing

Unread post by Gorillasurfer »

Hi everyone,
I am James. I have been surfing for about 20 years. I am a very big guy and have always been. I have been riding longboards mostly but, recently have been trying new shapes and sizes. I sold all of my longboards except one 10' pearson arrow that I still ride from time to time. When the surf is decent I have been riding a 7'10" dewey weber feather fastback or an Infintiy 7'6" Big Tex. My step-daughter wanted to start learning to surf last summer but, my step son decided he would rather be a bodyboarder. Well, that brought back a bunch of great summer memories from when I was a kid so i got a cheapo 44" board and some fins. We have been having a blast! He and I even decided to try bodysurfing one day. We had so much fun we decided to make a handplane. We upcycled an old Ikea shelf and it more or less works fine. We were surprised at how much the ugly little Ikea handplane helps. Plus, at a time when my stoke was almost gone and I was bored with the whole scene I am completely stoked with a new found simplicity and excitement. Watching the kids discover their stoke and learning new things every time we paddle or kick out has made me super stoked. We usually surf Bolsa Chica or the cliffs in Huntington and in the summer we camp a lot at San O trail 6.
Lately, I have been looking at better quality bodyboards and then I found this forum and have become focused on bellyboards and paipos. Also found an awesome handplane on craigslist but, of course the surf has disappeared since I bought it. Hope the forecast is right for next weekend so i can try it out. I think me and the boy might try and make a simple paipo in the next couple of weeks from plywood and I am for sure looking for someone to make me a bellyboard. I have been looking for a used one but, it's tough to find something that will fit me. I will probably have one made at some point. I wonder if a small mini simmons might work for me??
Anyway, that's the abridged version. See you in the water.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Unread post by Pes78 »

Hey everyone. My name is Paul and its good to be on the forum. Well this prone surfing started over the summer for me. There was a paipo demo at beacons one day so I decided to check it out. I was out for a couple hours trying some boards but there was something missing. I needed more float because I'm a big guy. And remembered seeing Thomas Patrick post bellyboards on his blog so I got one from him. Now I also kneeboard so I was switching back and forth between the two. I really enjoyed the bellyboard because I was getting some new sensations that I haven't felt. But it didn't work for me on smaller slower days. So I started riding my kneeboard prone on those days but at 5'9" its a bit to long. A year or so ago I had taken a shaping lesson and shaped a board. Right now I'm planing on shaping abellyboard in the next few weeks. I'll see if I can do build thread on that. Anyway sorry for rambling on.

Paul
NR65
Forum Grommet
City: copenhagen
State or Province: N

Unread post by NR65 »

H3llo! i'm Gilles living in Copenhagen/Denmark. i come from the atlantic coast of France.
i've been bodyboarding,surfing,windsurfing since some decade.
no much waves here on the east coast of Denmark...unless is a strong wind :) !
i need a new bellyboard.build one or buy one.
can't wait to share.
thanks for the great site.Gilles
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Do you ever surf on the West coast of Denmark? Are there any waves on that side? I saw a surf shop in Malmo right across the bridge. Where do the Swedes surf?
MDS
Big Wave Charger
City: Severna Park
Interests: Water, Home Brewing, People, Fitness and Health, more.

Unread post by MDS »

Hello everyone,
This is my introduction.
My name is Todd and I grew up in the Northeast without any real access to water other than a river...not much surf there so I enjoyed the water the way most do...I swam in it. Once in awhile my Family would go to the ocean and I learned to bodysurf and later played with my kids boogieboards. I moved to the Annapolis area in high school and have been here since. I got into open water swimming 10 years ago and one day saw some guy standing on a paddleboard. Got into that on the local rivers here and then started to transition to using them on the ocean. Next I started to try and just plain surf with some gigantic paddleboards. Damaged a few of those (and my ego). Found a used 9 foot paddleboard built for like a 170 lb. expert and have been using it as a surfboard for a couple years. I have accidentally pissed off some locals (asked what I did wrong and apologized) been caught inside with some big surf (my open water swimming sure helped me out there) and studied as many Assateague surfers as I could to figure out how the hell to get better at surfing. Along the way I saw some pictures of these smallish wooden boards you ride on your stomach and after reading about them I decided to make one. I have made 14 different paipos since last spring. Used Balsa, Basswood, Paulonia and Poplar. Lots of different shapes. Spar varnish and Tung oil finishes. I even have installed leash plugs and fin plugs for detachable center or side fins. Lengths from 24 inches to 48 inches and 16 - 20 inches wide. Waiting for water temps to get up into my wetsuit range so I can go try out the 3 newest boards. Anyway, I have found these boards to be very helpful in teaching me how to confidently move around in the surf and in the process had more fun than a 40 something year old man should be able to have legally and without getting in trouble with his Wife. So there is my story of how I ended up on this forum. I am looking forward to meeting some of you folks down at the beach and learning some board building techniques etc. I am still working on my surfing and getting better with each effort. I will post some pics of my boards as soon as I figure out how to do it on this forum.
Todd

Here are pics of a couple I made last summer...all paulonia with wood dye for the color and spar varnish to finish. Light and fast and fun!
paipored2.jpg
paipored1.jpg
paipoblue1.jpg
paipored3.jpg
MDS
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by MDS »

Here are some pics of 2 boards I made last summer. Paulonia boards joined with pieces of carbon, dyed with wood dye and finished with spar varnish. Fast and Fun. Holes in the nose are for the leash cord.
paipored1.jpg
paipored2.jpg
paipored3.jpg
paipoblue1.jpg
More to come.
Todd
MDS
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by MDS »

Here is another one...more recent. Paulonia boards on the outside with poplar in the center...basswood inlay between those. Used a regular joiner for these but Tung oil finish instead of spar. Leash plug and center fin plugs as well. 48 inches long and 20 inches wide...3/4 inch thick.
paipowaves3.jpg
paipowaves2.jpg
paipowaves1.jpg
ClanB
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
Interests: surf hunt fish chili bbq paipos, nerd rpgs lol, yup music

Unread post by ClanB »

Welcome. This is a grea place with quite a bit of knowledgeable members. Have fun.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

MDS,

Welcome. I see you live in the same state as Rod not that he's home much. Enjoy the ride.

Bob
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:MDS,

Welcome. I see you live in the same state as Rod not that he's home much. Enjoy the ride.

Bob
Looks like MDS is about 10 miles south of me, give a wrong turn or two ;) He is a smidgen closer to the shore than I, but it is still a long way to the DelMarVa breakers.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
Frost
Wave slider
City: Mount Pleasant
State or Province: SC

Unread post by Frost »

Hi everyone
Frost here from Charleston S.C. been riding prone for a few years, all types of boards but found exactly what I have been looking for here,thanks to your site and the shapers here. Our waves here in the SE can be on and off but we have our share of fun days. Thanks again to all here who shape and make Paipos for us who like to ride them
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Unread post by SJB »

Hey Frost....have visited Charleston a couple of times and what a great City. Can you say FOOD. Haven't checked the surf scene. Maybe next time if my wife will give me a day pass.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

SJB wrote:Hey Frost....have visited Charleston a couple of times and what a great City. Can you say FOOD. Haven't checked the surf scene. Maybe next time if my wife will give me a day pass.
I had the pleasure of riding The Washout in August during a hurricane swell while in town for my sister's wedding many, many years ago. Always like the vibe of Folly Beach and the happenings and eatings in Charleston.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.