"swimming board" elva fin swim

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

"swimming board" elva fin swim

Unread post by zensuni » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:25 am

Hi there,

I guess we are all more of less on a lockdown, wether we live in France, in UK or in California.
I have been home working for one month, no surf or any other beach activities allowed, of course during this period surf conditions were great... :D well that is life :x plus this is not really the biggest problem we have.
Whatever, I noticed this weird product sold on a french website.
It is produced by a french guy, it is described as a swimming board, to cruise around in the ocean. They say it works better with long diving fins.
The inventor compares it to a prone version of the stand up paddle.
To me, this thing really looks like a very very floaty paipo, so I wonder how it would work in small waves.
Well, just wanted to share this fun discovery :)
https://www.loisirs3000.fr/planche-de-n ... range.html
finboard.jpg
finboard.jpg (208.25 KiB) Viewed 302 times

rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: "swimming board" elva fin swim

Unread post by rodndtube » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:59 pm

Interesting. Lots of float!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.

krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:52 am

That's a very complicated expensive design to not even have a thought for waves. I always wonder how many of these things ever sell.

As far as surfing, i'st forcing you to be very far back with that much volume in front of your I think will make it very hard to surf. I could get a bodyboard to paddle around on and also surf well for 60euro.

I always joke with friends i am going to invent lie down paddle boarding, guess i got beaten to it,

zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:44 am

krusher74 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:52 am
That's a very complicated expensive design to not even have a thought for waves. I always wonder how many of these things ever sell.

As far as surfing, i'st forcing you to be very far back with that much volume in front of your I think will make it very hard to surf. I could get a bodyboard to paddle around on and also surf well for 60euro.

I always joke with friends i am going to invent lie down paddle boarding, guess i got beaten to it,
Well, it is actually designed to cruise around efficiently for a long time, for this purpose with its 50 liters volume and its ergonomical deck it should be more efficient than a bodyboard, even a big one.
For surfing, I don't know, I will give it a try, for fun. I agree that the position is too far back but I guess it is possible for the rider to move temporarily forward on the board, the time of the wave. But yeah I'm sure it doesn't work as good as a bodyboard.
But let's say the conditions are very small, it is a nice sunny afternoon with the family at the beach, with this board you can just cruise around for a while (like you would on a stand up paddle) and why not catch a few micro waves on the way back.

bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:58 pm

I just realized, there are similarities between this board and the patent sought by Georges Hennebutte:
http://home.brisnet.com.au/~bgreen/Europe/france.shtml

Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:12 pm

That Elva board looks like just the ticket for a river run.
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?

krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 » Thu May 07, 2020 7:34 am

zensuni wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:44 am
krusher74 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:52 am

Well, it is actually designed to cruise around efficiently for a long time, for this purpose with its 50 liters volume and its ergonomical deck it should be more efficient than a bodyboard, even a big one.
For surfing, I don't know, I will give it a try, for fun. I agree that the position is too far back but I guess it is possible for the rider to move temporarily forward on the board, the time of the wave. But yeah I'm sure it doesn't work as good as a bodyboard.
But let's say the conditions are very small, it is a nice sunny afternoon with the family at the beach, with this board you can just cruise around for a while (like you would on a stand up paddle) and why not catch a few micro waves on the way back.
You bought one?

Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o » Sat May 23, 2020 4:34 am

cool spaceship.......lots of flotation..