Cuttlefish how did the paipo go?

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Cuttlefish how did the paipo go?

Unread post by bgreen »

Hello Cuttlefish,

I saw your post on Sways about riding your board at Noosa - how did it go? I surfed the S-bank Monday and a point a few kms south today. Surprisingly uncrowded today, while the S bank population looked like double yesterdays. Fun waves but the crowds take the edge off things. Those long lines are ideal for paipo.

Bob
Cuttlefish
Big Wave Charger
City: Sunshine coast
Interests: Oceanic frolicking

Re: Cuttlefish how did the paipo go?

Unread post by Cuttlefish »

Hi Bob,
Surfed first point on boxing day.
Had a window of opportunity from about 11am where the frothing crowd backed off a little and the tide started to drop.
I got quite a few waves but many sectioned or had drop ins which brought down the section in front of me.
The Kelly fins that I put a little curve into work really well.
Got one set wave that I caught right from the inside all the way through the pack with no one dropping in on me and it was magic.
Great to feel the board absolutely flying under me. Most entertaining to see my mate about to paddle onto my wave and look to see me on it and back off as I go zooming past in repose.
He hadn't seen me riding my prone board yet and so funny to see him get an eyeful of how fast it was travelling.
On my set wave I had a section break in front right at the start but I can push my bottom turns hard enough to be able to go right around the whitewater because my fins are giving me enough drive and hold.
I'm keen to try some Webber curved fins but lack of $'s are slowing that experiment down.
By 1.30pm the rip was starting to make paddling a chore, both my calves were cramping badly and the crowd had doubled so I called it a day.
:)
Only a rat can win the rat race.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane

Unread post by bgreen »

Hello Cuttlefish,

Good to hear you experienced the speed potential. In the last few point surfs I've had there's been a look of bewilderment and uncertainty when I get flying, with guys not quite sure what to do or where to paddle, but not dropping in.

I toyed with the 2 hour drive but decided not to. Did you check out Ti-Tree? That's where I would have probably headed.

I have a another set of fins but don't want to experiment in crowded condiitons.

Bob
Cuttlefish
Big Wave Charger
City: Sunshine coast
Interests: Oceanic frolicking

Unread post by Cuttlefish »

Surfed Ti tree on Sat (Christmas eve) and Nationals to first point Christmas day but swell was a lot larger and I was riding conventional surfboards.
Boxing day was with family and friends at the beach so we opted to surf first point and didn't bother to look at Ti tree.
Just the thought of the crowd put us off.
Only a rat can win the rat race.