Free

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Free

Unread post by Pes78 »

Scored a free blank today so started a new one for summer. 4'3" 21.5" 1.75" not sure about bottom contours just yet, just did the outline and skinned the blank. Blank was about 3.25" thick so I got a bit off foam to mow through, thinking of doing this as a twinzer.
Attachments
0326161312a.jpg
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Re: Free

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

I like that outline.
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Unread post by soulglider »

acid.
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Well the outline is off of Soulgliders acid splash I have. So the credit goes to him for the outline. Will work on it next weekend, I think what has been helping shape is only having one day to work on the board. Slows me down and I have a fresh set of eyes to look at the board.
soulglider
Big Wave Charger

lol, take your time mate! only be in a hurry to make it great and sometimes great takes time.

hows the last board you made working?
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

It's going pretty good I really like it. Have gotten some fun waves on it goes where I want it to.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Finished the board up today. Was a little tough without a center line. Nose got a bit asymetrical so I had to snub the nose 2 inches. So final dims are 4'1 21.5" 1.75" slight belly in the nose going to a single concave the rest of the board. Concave gets progressively deeper as you get through the fins and tail. Set up as a twin and may add some plugs later for a twinzer just didn't read enough about the set up to commit to anything.
Attachments
0409161059.jpg
0409161058.jpg
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Is there a step in the concave/rail at the mid point of the board? or is it a trick of the light?
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. Hopefully its just a shadow. On the other side there was a little hip in it that I got out, or it could be that the concave is fairly deep in the tail, the board has some belly then goes into a single the rest of the way. Should be picking it up this week.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Picked up the board Thursday morning from the glasser, has some imperfections in the shape. Was a little tough shaping without a center line but overall happy on how it came out. Krusher I looked at the rail and I think it was just the lights and how I have the rails turned in the tail. Hope to take it out in the morning going to try it with some side bites and if it's not to crowded may go finless.
Attachments
0506161703a.jpg
0506161703.jpg
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Looks good Paul!
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Thanks. So I took it out Saturday morning with 350 sidebites got a couple waves and board felt pretty good. Took it out again this morning and rode it finless and boy does this thing haul. Now I've been on a couple boards that are fast the board I got from Soulglider and I tried a Bodypo last week. Soulglider's has fins and the Bodypo is finless of course. It seems to me that finless boards may be going faster but I'm not sure. It could just feel that way to me, I need to see if there are any videos on youtube that show the drag from fins on a board or finless. Hopefully there are easy to understand because I don't want to try to understand some technical wording. Also I think at this length at 4'1 is perfect for me then on my longer boards I would have to pull myself up once I caught the wave.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

There is no doubt that fins in the water create drag. The question is always (1) does the fin enable the rider to maintain a position in an energy producing area of the wave that might not otherwise be possible and (2) do the fins enable the rider to consistently project with increased power on turns? The fin tuning of stiffness or flex in the fin, the shape of the fin and a fin's foil are also factors in a fin's value-added effectiveness. Or, to use a play on words, a "force-multiplier."
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Fins and their correct position is an entire volume. An appeal of finless craft is the simplicity of not having to worry about this. Having said that, some people really like all the experimentation with different fins , toe-in and cant etc.

The capacity to ride a board finned and finless can teach you a lot about both the bard and different ways to ride a wave.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I think finless and finned are almost different sports, just like floaty and non-float boards. That being said I have watched bodyboarders riding many time times and almost invariably you can see them slipping sideways down the wave (unintentionally). Maybe the sensation of speed is from all the lateral movement on the wave.
soulglider
Big Wave Charger

i think the bigger question is, what do you like better? for me, that changes back and forth. if your not getting your ass handed to you and youre missing the critical part of the waves and etc etc etc then does it matter whats faster? are you entering a surf race contest? do they even have such a thing? who gets to line up furthest right for a right wave at the starting line? is it a best of 2 outa three with the riders taking turns sitting closest to the start? now those are some questions!
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

I'll try and be coherant here. I don't explain things very well so here goes..... On the waves I was on Sunday they were more punchy than on Saturday. Then again I was at two different spots. I think to to see what is better for this board I need to try it in the same conditions both finned and finless. On Sunday I was in the power source of the wave the whole time I was riding, mid face and in the pocket. When I've been on a finned board I've been on the bottom part of the wave and maybe that's why I feel I'm going slower because I'm on the slower part of the wave. The concave I feel was providing me the lift in the board to stay in the pocket, Soulglider's does this as well but my concave is deeper. I'm more of a few person so trying to explain the technical stuff in my boards is hard. I didn't feel out of control at all on the wave I got I was able to make sections I don't think I would make if the board had fins in it. The bodypo I tried was fast real fast and I didn't know how to slow down but it felt good. The journey continues.........
soulglider
Big Wave Charger

well said...
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Pes78 wrote:When I've been on a finned board I've been on the bottom part of the wave and maybe that's why I feel I'm going slower because I'm on the slower part of the wave.
Bingo!
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

So had this board out in a variety of conditions. Going back and forth between riding with fins and going finless. I picked up these fins at the Sacred Craft show from the Alva surfboards booth. Their made by RFC their flat foiled 3.75 base and 2.75 depth and I really like them they give me just enough control to do what I want to do. The board goes best in more punchy and fast conditions especially finless. I was reading a old thread about finless boards and one of the things said was if it's mushy they don't go to well, kinda slide out which I definetly felt few times. One thing that was said was for those conditions you have to have thin rails, so for my next board I'm going make one more as a dedicated finless board.
Attachments
0730161054.jpg