paulownia + polyester+ fiberglass: rocker and flex

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.

Re: paulownia + polyester+ fiberglass: rocker and flex

Unread postby asier esnal » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:40 pm

I have read this link carefully, I have drawn the paipo I had thought to 19. I prefer 18 to work better in vertical wind waves ,,, so I modified the plan to this measure, has the previous paipo's construction and a pod of Fiberglass reinforcement since I'm going to get into waves of 2m and I do not want it to split

he leído atentamente este enlace, he dibujado el paipo que tenia pensado a 19. prefiero de 18 funcionara mejor en olas de viento, verticales,,, asi que he modificado el plano a esta medida, tiene la cosntruccion del paipo anterior y un pod de refuerzo de fibra de vidrio ya que voy a entrar en olas de 2m y no quiero que parta

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=670
Attachments
47497789_2125094674221289_3532843693130121216_n.jpg
47436217_2125094640887959_2723706622323982336_n.jpg
47458397_2125094604221296_5448177899150508032_n.jpg
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:56 am
City: Astigarraga
State or Province: Gipuzkoa
Country: spain

Re: paulownia + polyester+ fiberglass: rocker and flex

Unread postby zensuni » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:21 am

asier esnal wrote: I do not like the paipos without fins, nor the bodyboard, I hate the lateral displacements and skids


The side slipping you described might be due to the board being quite large. If you try a finless board that is narrower and longer you will see that the inside rail actually behaves like a fin as long as you slightly lean your body inside, it doesnt side slip unless you decide to (which is fun sometimes).

Having said that, I understand that fins help a lot when waves get bigger, as you can really rely on them.
User avatar
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:58 pm
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine
Country: France

Re: paulownia + polyester+ fiberglass: rocker and flex

Unread postby rodndtube » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:30 am

Escribe en español and I will give it a try, "to get the rocker and that flex I have to cut the wood in contraction direction to the feed, if I do not give fiberglass part by just touching it", but I understood it as needing fiberglass to maintain the rocker.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
User avatar
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Maryland, USA & Where the Waves Are Breaking
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Country: USA

Re: paulownia + polyester+ fiberglass: rocker and flex

Unread postby asier esnal » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:30 am

zensuni wrote:
asier esnal wrote: I do not like the paipos without fins, nor the bodyboard, I hate the lateral displacements and skids


The side slipping you described might be due to the board being quite large. If you try a finless board that is narrower and longer you will see that the inside rail actually behaves like a fin as long as you slightly lean your body inside, it doesnt side slip unless you decide to (which is fun sometimes).

Having said that, I understand that fins help a lot when waves get bigger, as you can really rely on them.


I have not had time to try the last paipo of 18 width that I have made. but what measures do you recommend me to go without fins, if board of paulownia is 18mm thick = 0.7in?
my measurements are 1.77m high and 75kg weight = 69.6in, high and 165lb

es
no he tenido tiempo de probar la última tabla de 18 de ancho que he hecho. pero que medidas me recomiendas para ir sin fin, si el tablero de paulownia es de 18mm de espesor=0.7in ?
mis medidas son 1.77m de alto y peso 75kg = 69,6 in, de alto y 165 lb
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:56 am
City: Astigarraga
State or Province: Gipuzkoa
Country: spain

Re: paulownia + polyester+ fiberglass: rocker and flex

Unread postby zensuni » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:46 am

asier esnal wrote:
I have not had time to try the last paipo of 18 width that I have made. but what measures do you recommend me to go without fins, if board of paulownia is 18mm thick = 0.7in?
my measurements are 1.77m high and 75kg weight = 69.6in, high and 165lb

es
no he tenido tiempo de probar la última tabla de 18 de ancho que he hecho. pero que medidas me recomiendas para ir sin fin, si el tablero de paulownia es de 18mm de espesor=0.7in ?
mis medidas son 1.77m de alto y peso 75kg = 69,6 in, de alto y 165 lb


I am 1,66m, my board is a 1cm tick varnished plywood board, no rocker, flat bottom, 120x40cm. I surf small to medium size waves, so far it works pretty good, very easy to catch waves, even the small ones. It is faster than a bodyboard, especially in longboard type waves, and not too much side slipping. I have had some fun micro barrels with that board. It is basically just a flat planing surface, but it fits well with the kind of waves I am confortable to surf.
In this video I use it: https://youtu.be/EVWwCZgZnzc

I have never tried a paipo board with fins, but I did try an HPD paipo, the same one than this photo:
Image
This is the opposite of my board, it is very wide, definitely not flat (spoon shape), relatively short, I have never really understood how to hold a line with it (a lot of side slipping !). Maybe it just doesn't fit to the french beach breacks waves :D

Checkout my youtube channel, no great surf to watch, but you can see the different shapes I tried
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9mcJ4GLcnMNAIZh0emZ7LA?view_as=subscriber
User avatar
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:58 pm
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine
Country: France

Re: paulownia + polyester+ fiberglass: rocker and flex

Unread postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:51 am

"I did try an HPD paipo..."

Never an HPD but made same outline out of plywood once. Seemed to me that the board required huge body position shifts so that my hip was always almost right on top of one rail or the other and hand on airborne rail used to drive the weighted rail into the wave face. That way, the thin edge could act as a fin but there was a heck of a lot of board up in the air most of the time. My thought at the time was this would be what Dorothy felt like had she tried to ride the barn door in the tornado on her way to Oz. Since the waves I first tried it in were 6-8 foot face, dredging sand barrels at local beach break, my thoughts weren't that coherent though, more like, "GLUB-GLUB Dorothy! Cough Gack Oz!"
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:58 am
Location: Paonia, Colorado
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado
Country: USA

Re: paulownia + polyester+ fiberglass: rocker and flex

Unread postby zensuni » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:05 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:"I did try an HPD paipo..."

Never an HPD but made same outline out of plywood once. Seemed to me that the board required huge body position shifts so that my hip was always almost right on top of one rail or the other and hand on airborne rail used to drive the weighted rail into the wave face. That way, the thin edge could act as a fin but there was a heck of a lot of board up in the air most of the time. My thought at the time was this would be what Dorothy felt like had she tried to ride the barn door in the tornado on her way to Oz. Since the waves I first tried it in were 6-8 foot face, dredging sand barrels at local beach break, my thoughts weren't that coherent though, more like, "GLUB-GLUB Dorothy! Cough Gack Oz!"


:lol:
User avatar
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:58 pm
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine
Country: France

Re: paulownia + polyester+ fiberglass: rocker and flex

Unread postby asier esnal » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:36 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onScB4vj70I

Now I understand, we are looking for very different waves. Give me some waves like the ones in this video with few people and I am the happiest man in the world, as you can see they are usually always moved by the wind, they have a lot of thrust and a lot of water. , I am very happy in these days of waves

es
ahora entiendo, estamos buscando olas muy diferentes.dame unas olas como las de este video con poca gente y soy el hombre mas feliz del mundo, cómo ves la solas siempre suelen estar algo movidas por el viento, tienen mucho empuje y mucha masa de agua, soy muy feliz en estos días de olas
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:56 am
City: Astigarraga
State or Province: Gipuzkoa
Country: spain

Re: paulownia + polyester+ fiberglass: rocker and flex

Unread postby rodndtube » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:22 pm

Many different waves out there and many different people riding their paipo boards on them, whether it is a local wave break that a person may not venture far from or a faraway wave that is traveled to, and everything in-between. Young 15 year olds to older 75+ year olds, super fit and healthy and sluggish and chunky and everything in-between. Cold water and hot water, heavy rubber and virtually skinless, and everything in-between. Thin finless ply to thick super multi-finned EPS glassed boards, and a lot in-between (one more refrain!). And many different riding styles.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
User avatar
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Maryland, USA & Where the Waves Are Breaking
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Country: USA

Re: paulownia + polyester+ fiberglass: rocker and flex

Unread postby bgreen » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:04 pm

18-20" is ok.

The no rocker issue - some rocker helps but the boards flex is an aspect. I have a fibreglass board with no rocker and it nosedives once the wave gets hollow.

Donostia - I've been there 4 times but never surfed there. That footage shows a variety of waves. The bodyboarder's wave would be better suited for a bellyboard. The fuller, slower/closeout waves would be harder on a ply board.
User avatar
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
 
Posts: 1012
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:17 pm
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld
Country: Oz

PreviousNext

Return to Paipo Board Design & Building

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron