Paipo for sale

Have a paipo board for sale or looking to add to your quiver? Trade? Related equipment or accessories for sale? Include a description, price and contact info. Please post when a deal has been closed.
jomo51
Tube master
City: NEHALEM
State or Province: OR

Paipo for sale

Unread post by jomo51 »

5'6" by 23 1/2" paipo for sale. EPS blank with epoxy glass. Quad or twin with a total of 6 Futures boxes for experimentation/fine tuning. Single concave bottom and dished out deck. Lightly used.
I'm 5'10" and 165 pounds and the board is too floaty with too much lift for me in surf of any size or power.
The board is in perfect condition.
Asking $400
Attachments
0-1.jpg
0-1.jpg (38.9 KiB) Viewed 12374 times
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Re: Paipo for sale

Unread post by belly rider »

Hi is this board still for sale??
Where are you located at??
its all about the ride
jomo51
Tube master

Unread post by jomo51 »

I'm in Nehalem, Oregon.
When it didn't sell, I returned to the shaper, a very prolific and respected local, and we decided to try taking out some width from the middle. It's now closer to 21 1/2" wide, which was a big improvement. I still think it would be better for someone heavier than me (165#) or riding softer waves.

The shaper has long experience with shortboards, longboards, sailboards, etc., but not paipos. The repair modification is first rate, but I'm still not happy with the way it rides prone. I think it would work better as a kneeboard or even a stand-up board.

If you're still interested I would sell it for $250. It's like new, except for the modification. If it doesn't sell I'll keep it for small summer days.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Hi,

Do you ride in the North Cove in Nehalem Bay? Well, not really a bay but it can look like one from a top of the lookout, more like N. Manzanita. Shorty's? I have had some fun days at Shorty's, Cape Kiwanda and "Seaside."

My boards are quite a bit shorter at 50 inches. I am 5'10". For many of us 5'6" is very long especially with floaty EPS foam.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
jomo51
Tube master

Unread post by jomo51 »

Those are the local spots. This is my first paipo, which I'm trying due to blown out shoulder. I went longer to more closely duplicate the feel of a surfboard. There are some shapers out there making long paipos. With deep concaves top and bottom, there's not a whole lot of foam. Being too floaty is an issue when riding steep, critical waves, which is what I generally prefer. Someone heavier or a knee rider could probably find happiness. I'm selling and planning to try again.
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

jomo51 wrote:Those are the local spots. This is my first paipo, which I'm trying due to blown out shoulder. I went longer to more closely duplicate the feel of a surfboard. There are some shapers out there making long paipos. With deep concaves top and bottom, there's not a whole lot of foam. Being too floaty is an issue when riding steep, critical waves, which is what I generally prefer. Someone heavier or a knee rider could probably find happiness. I'm selling and planning to try again.
Wow, a blown out shoulder. Hope one day you can get back in the water. This board could ridden as a knee-board correct.
jomo51
Tube master

Unread post by jomo51 »

Yes, I believe it would work well as a kneeboard, better than as a prone rider. The extra fin locations should allow for fine tuning.
After trying to make it work for me as a prone rider, I went back to the shaper and we took some width out by cutting it down the middle, gluing it back together with a new stringer and it works much better for me. But I think the length combined with the bottom concave makes it less than ideal as a paipo, at least for someone my size and weight.

I've got to have a shoulder replacement surgery (ugh) so the board is still for sale. I'll consider offers.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

I've got to have a shoulder replacement surgery (ugh)
Sorry to hear that. Don't know if it's on your near horizon but if you get it done let us know how it all goes. I have a family member that may be heading in that direction at some point. Hearing real-life accounts to go with the more clinical offerings is always a good thing.

Nels
jomo51
Tube master

Unread post by jomo51 »

OK, every case is different. My situation is complicated by the fact there's no cartilage left in the joint. It's bone grinding on bone for any use of the arm beyond a fairly narrow range of motion. With a new shoulder there will still be limits to ROM, but less pain. I just have to become an adult about the situation and go for the procedure... but I keep putting it off.
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

What are the actual measurements of this board??
Is it still for sale??
its all about the ride
jomo51
Tube master

Unread post by jomo51 »

The board is still for sale. My shoulder is trashed, so I've only ridden it a few times. After modification from the shaper, it is now 17 3/4" Nose,
21 1/4" Wide-point and 17 1/4" Tail.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

8-)
Last edited by krusher74 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jomo51
Tube master

Unread post by jomo51 »

Yes, I would sell the paipo. I've had some good sessions on it after taking some width out of the middle. This was done by the original shaper and the board ended up 21 1/4" wide with a 17 3/4" Nose and 17 1/4" Tail. Big improvement for most conditions. The top and bottom are both concave, but there is still plenty of foam.
I weigh in about 165 and it floats well at these dimensions. It has had very little use and now I'll be out of the water for 5 to 6 months after surgery scheduled at the beginning of May.
Make a offer. I may put it in a shop at some point.