Asymm

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
Sparx45
Tube master
City: Brighton
State or Province: East Sussex

Asymm

Unread post by Sparx45 »

Afternoon all,

Been working on this recently and is now up for glassing...this week hopefully.

XPS blank cut to Just under 4' and about 22" wide. 2 and a bit thick....can be ridden on both sides.
I'll post more when done.
Spx
20150424_171518.jpg
20150424_171446.jpg
20150424_075908.jpg
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Re: Asymm

Unread post by soulglider »

everything works. its a point concept.;?}
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

Looks like one of Donnie Brinks boards.

Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
Sparx45
Tube master

Unread post by Sparx45 »

Yup....Was gonna call it the "Brinkstrom" as I looked at both Brink and Ekstrom for inspitration. It's nothing new...I'm just trying stuff out...
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

This is one of the unique boards Donnie had at the recent "What Box" exhibit at SHACC.
It's hanging upside down from a leash attachment on the shore side of the tail.
The wave side hand grip is at the bottom of the picture; the board is meant to be flipped over depending on which way you are going.............

Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
Sparx45
Tube master

Unread post by Sparx45 »

ive seen that on his blog...I really like where he goes with his boards...to clarify though. ..there is no concept or point to the board im doing....as I said im just trying some ideas out......its no big deal...jeez..I feel like im on Sways !!... :D
soulglider
Big Wave Charger

rabbits-foot1_f_improf_600x585.png
rabbits-foot1_f_improf_600x585.png (486.3 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
rabbits foot photo-1.JPG
rabbits foot photo-1.JPG (42.78 KiB) Viewed 7589 times
point concept was a double entendre. i was referring to Santa Barbara's Ryan Lovelace rabbits foot. His lable is Point Concepts. Hees been making them for a bunch of years. besides that, your board looks like fun. sheesh.

Tim Swaylocks
Sparx45
Tube master

Unread post by Sparx45 »

ha ha yeah...I built a rabbits foot recently and that's on Sways.....don't forget Burch eh?..... I've got a lot of glassing to finish it would seem!!!
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

My understanding on the asymmetric boards is their is a long and a short rail, as a stand-up surfer with turn differently if thier on their heel side or there toe side.

I have found over the years i am a prone goofy, as a i prefer my dominant right hand and my rail control hand.

so how do the see the long/short rail asymmetry working prone as there is not toe, or heal side, as a prone goofy would i want the short rail on the left side of the board?
matt23
Big Wave Charger
City: Rumansville
State or Province: Norfolk

Unread post by matt23 »

Good looking board, love that artwork
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

I agree with Keith. Asym outline design is used to compensate for a stand-up rider's natural weakness when going heel-side. Prone riders simply don't have that problem. My guess is that's why Carl Ekstrom (major proponent of asym design) didn't make his body board asymmetrical. Drop-knee rider, yes.....kneeboard rider, no. Whenever rider's hips are perpendicular to stringer, asym no advantage. The more that the rider's hips are parallel to stringer, the more asym design is an advantage.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
soulglider
Big Wave Charger

some once said, "I have found over the years i am a prone goofy, as a i prefer my dominant right hand and my rail control hand." and i'm here to tell you that kneeboarders can have a backside. having surfed NoCal on kneeboards for 40+ years on mainly nothing but rights makes surfing lefts/backside on a kneeboard very awkward for me. I actually never had my knees way out on the rails and parallel to the stringer the way most of the "modern contest kneelos" do. However, surfing prone I dont have a preference, except, in LoCal where the good waves are mostly lefts, so i dig them more.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo

Unread post by Nels »

I am a regular foot standing (45 years worth more or less), right handed, from an area with a lot of right point waves. I've spent most of my surf time in the last 15 years not standing so I could get some halfway uncrowded waves, which has taken me to more beach breaks and altered the favorite spots. So the weird result is I prefer to bodysurf and handboard going right, and anything prone I prefer to go left. I kind of get it with bodysurfing and handboarding, I'm right handed. As for prone riding I think maybe I just have had better waves going left. I can't see how asymmetric tails do any good for anything but standup boards and maybe kneeboard (not enough experience for me on those)...but the one thing I've developed for sure that applies to all surfing equipment is an aversion to any sharp-ish point that is aimed at my body...
davehahn
Big Wave Charger
City: San Francisco
State or Province: CA

Unread post by davehahn »

I think the benefit to an asymm prone board is in having a really versatile board. He said that he's made the board to be surfed on either side. There's nothing that says that you have to use the short rail toward the beach. I mean, maybe you have concave on one side, flat on the other...hard rails on one end and soft on the other. You just flip the board over depending on what kind of wave is coming toward you and have some fun experimenting. It's like 4 boards in one.
Sparx45
Tube master

Unread post by Sparx45 »

Well...
Lots of interesting comments although i'd have to err/agree on the those thoughts about a "favoured" rail type and length. As I said, it's got a lot going on as I was interested to see what would work and what would not....all the weirdness going on in the design. Some of it may work, some may not but it's worth exploring (in my view) and so I'll learn what I can from it. It's not been a costly exercise from a materials point of view (about 35£ UK) and I've learned loads from messing with some new materials regardless. I've almost finished it and i'll ride and let u know what's what in due course.

I've got a busted big toe at the minute so it's all on hold...ugh

Cheers
Sparx
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo

Unread post by Nels »

I just don't see value when half your body is hanging off the tail of the board...but all that means is I don't see it, not that value isn't there. Many of my own home-crafted boards are in varying minor degrees of asymmetry...mostly due to my undeveloped skills in construction...and they work fine. And there's great video of Ryan Burch on his asymmetrical designs in the U.S. and what looks like Indonesia proving the concept at least for standup boards.

The proof is in the execution - can't wait to hear about results. I'm a firm believer in letting the Freak Flag fly. That's half the fun in our part of the surfing universe.

Nels
Sparx45
Tube master

Unread post by Sparx45 »

I hear ya !!!..