Bellyboard (Kickboard) Swim Pool Workout

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
longboardkook
Tube master
City: Denver
State or Province: CO
Interests: River surfing, ocean surfing, snowskating, powsurfing

Bellyboard (Kickboard) Swim Pool Workout

Unread post by longboardkook »

IMG_0964.jpeg
I know this sounds ridiculous but since I’m a landlocked surfer in Denver, Colorado who is new to bellyboarding and somewhat new to matsurfing; my leg kicking with fins absolutely sucks. Too many decades of regular surfing and arm paddling.

Anyway, trying to up my leg kicking skills and muscles by swimming at my local recreational indoor pool. I have been using the small foamie kickboards they have at the pool.

Today I talked my way in with my bellyboard as my “personal kickboard” that is a bit longer and less buoyant than the rec’s kickboard.

First Impressions:

Cool got in with my 4’x12”x1/2” baltic ply bellyboard disguised as a kickboard. Instead of using those horrible foamie small kickboards available at pools.

Bellyboard being that less buoyant makes it that much more of a kickboard pool lane workout.

Since I suck at leg kicking with my swim fins (Yucca ultra-softs) and I need to keep at this workout.

I could plane up my bellyboard briefly with burst of hard kicking. That was fun.

Hope to get some pics of me kickboarding my bellyboard at the pool to post up here.

I need to get to the beach more or better yet move to the beach!

Anyone else use their bellyboard as a kickboard in the swim lanes at their local pool?

LBK
longboardkook
Tube master

Re: Bellyboard (Kickboard) Swim Pool Workout

Link to my vid of kickboard practice of my UK bellyboard at the local pool swim lanes…. Catch my farside duck dive?
IMG_5781.jpeg
https://youtu.be/le_xUigTfU4?si=5iVfoDY85TT9sANW
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

I had a friend who uses(-d) a bellyboard/kickboard at his exercise pool. Although fresh water is less buoyant it should still be a workout. Makes sense to lay on or to hold the board in the same position as out in the ocean to replicate as closely as possible your ocean motion.

How do you like your Yucca ultra-softs? I don't have regular contact with a lot of surf shops that carry swim fins, but visited a few during my recent trip to Puerto Rico. No Yuccas there so have never held much less worn a pair in the water of any Yucca model. However, I did feel different formulations of a couple of fins. One that is new to me is a soft & flexi DaFin. Geez, that thing was like a long bladed skin diving fin inside a normal DaFin body. Even though I favor some flexi in my blades that "soft" DaFin was WAY too flexible for me.

So... your fin kicking experience in the pool may be part you and partly the swim fin brand/model.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
longboardkook
Tube master

rodndtube wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:05 pm I had a friend who uses(-d) a bellyboard/kickboard at his exercise pool. Although fresh water is less buoyant it should still be a workout. Makes sense to lay on or to hold the board in the same position as out in the ocean to replicate as closely as possible your ocean motion.

How do you like your Yucca ultra-softs? I don't have regular contact with a lot of surf shops that carry swim fins, but visited a few during my recent trip to Puerto Rico. No Yuccas there so have never held much less worn a pair in the water of any Yucca model. However, I did feel different formulations of a couple of fins. One that is new to me is a soft & flexi DaFin. Geez, that thing was like a long bladed skin diving fin inside a normal DaFin body. Even though I favor some flexi in my blades that "soft" DaFin was WAY too flexible for me.

So... your fin kicking experience in the pool may be part you and partly the swim fin brand/model.
Thanks for the insight. Have been at the pool every week for multiple days for almost a month now. Actually having fun trying out different positions pretending I am having to kick out to the waves and catching a wave. Duck diving the bellyboard in the deep end is fun.

As for the Yuccas, I grabbed two sets of ultra soft for my matsurfing. XXL to go over my 7mm booties for river surfing and M/L for the ocean barefoot that I also use in the pool. These are my first sets of swimfins ever. Seem comfortable enough. The power of them is much more than without fins. Figure if the Yuccas seem to work, will stick with them. If I ever move back to the beach, probably will order some ultra soft long fins by Yucca